• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fashion fun, from frocks to locks!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post
    Didn't know she'd had a face lift. Obviously didn't work. She really should have something done with her teeth and while she's at it a muzzle wouldn't go amiss!

When I was a silver service waitress at a large hotel many moons ago, I had amazing upper arms by Christmas carrying and serving from those huge platters of turkey. They weighed a ton! Now I just swim.

Learned to do front crawl with my face in the water at 65! When I did my first 25 mtrs it felt as great an achievement as passing my driving test and getting my degree at age 40! You're never too old. Swimming is great exercise, I love it.

Thanks for your tips, any ideas about helping thicken my hair. It's thinner since my thyroid became less active.You mentioned Evening Primrose Oil. I'll try anything.
    Hi Fred Bloggs. Good for you learning to do the crawl at 65. I could never put my head under the water I am not such a good water baby!
    I great when you get older and achieve such wonderful things in life.
    Your question about how to thicken your hair. Unfortunately it is a long hard slog getting your hair either to grow back after any loss or thinning. This can be caused by many things including your thyroid as you know. Bad diet, hormones loss of estrogen and stress can all cause thinning of hair. You need to take some evening primrose as that does help. You must look out for products that make your hair feel thicker. These products coat the hair shaft and plump it up. Look out for a good hair mask and matching conditioner and the same shampoo of course. You need volumeising products.You can find leave in sprays that you dry your hair with. There is also some products that are like powder that your sprinkle on the hair where you can see your scalp through. Some people have hair so thin they had to do this. You should avoid pulling your hair too tight as in a pony tail of pulling it too hard when blow drying. It is often better to put your hair on velcro rollers and set it as it will hold longer and give more volume and be more gentle then pulling on a round brush.
    Try going into your local Boots store and check out products. The best one that comes highly recommended is Boots Expert hair loss Spray for women. I have had very good reports of this product.
    Good luck with it and try not worry about thinning hair as you can make it worse by doing so. Maggiemou. x

Comment

Today I am working on my feet as I have had three pairs of new killer heels delivered. Getting ready for my up and coming cruise. Now I love heels and have no problems walkng dancing etc. in them but I always have to break them in. So here is my tips for today on breaking in your shoes without breaking your neck in them
      I walk around the house for a few weeks in advance of wearing them outside. If they are tight I put a pair of thick socks on and wear them inside the shoes. If that doesn't work you can stuff them with wet paper and leave them overnight. Or you can fill a freezer bag a quarter full seal the top and place them in the shoes. Put them in the freezer. When the ice is frozen leave them overnight. Remove them after letting them sit a short while to defrost slightly. So there you have it comfy shoes. I can now hear you all saying but why buy them in the first place if they are too tight. The thing with high heels as I am sure you will know is they have to fit tight to begin with otherwise you walk out of the backs as your feet move forward. So no pain no gain, I am sitting here with my thick socks on inside my beautiful new shoes. and in my bikini Very sexy;)
      Maggiemou. x

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear View Post
        Thanks for your tips, any ideas about helping thicken my hair. It's thinner since my thyroid became less active.You mentioned Evening Primrose Oil. I'll try anything.
        Have a look at the Nioxin range of products. My hairdresser recommended it to me about 3 yrs ago and I have to say, my hair looks and feels fantatstic.

The products aren't cheap [Amazon is a good place in the UK to buy it], especially when you use 3 or 4 as I do but I can only say I get a lot of comments about how good my hair looks...even when I do it my self. It's shoulder length, fine but reasonably thick and straight and I'm sure it's down to the Nioxin plus a good diet.

You can't buy it from high street shops[as far as I know]. It's a salon or Amazon buy.

Comment

Jo

Comment

Good that we have more recommendations coming in. Nioxin is a very good product for thinning hair as Mrs M pointed out. I have clients who have used thiis with much success. I had forgotten about it till Mrs M reminded me. It is good for us all to post our tips on these matters.

Comment

Swings and roundabouts DQ. I also have this site on my favs. but I think Amazon has the edge. Of course, it's half the price in the US, which accounts for quite a lot of my extra shopping weight when I come home. Thank goodness for a decent baggage allowance!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                Swings and roundabouts DQ. I also have this site on my favs. but I think Amazon has the edge. Of course, it's half the price in the US, which accounts for quite a lot of my extra shopping weight when I come home. Thank goodness for a decent baggage allowance!!
                :DAh, I now I know why you always travel light Mrs M :DYou love to shop like the rest of us. I love a bargain myself when in the USA.
                Maggiemou.x

Comment

Originally posted by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS View Post
                  :DAh, I now I know why you always travel light Mrs M :DYou love to shop like the rest of us. I love a bargain myself when in the USA.
                  Maggiemou.x
                  I mentioned this to my husband and he nearly split his sides laughing.

MM, I am THE queen of shopping! I can out shop anyone, anywhere, anyhow. I have a Master's in shopping. :D:D:D

Comment

I mentioned this to my husband and he nearly split his sides laughing.

MM, I am THE queen of shopping! I can out shop anyone, anywhere, anyhow. I have a Master's in shopping. :D:D:D
                    I am so pleased to hear that Mrs M as I now feel very happy with myself knowing there is someone who can out shop me:D My husband encourages me which is good in many ways as he can't complain about the bills later. I shop a lot online these days as shopping in Cyprus is a bit dire, although it is better then it was years ago. We have many Uk shops but they are very expensive as they are converted into Euros and doubled and trebled so stupid prices. Plus they cater for the mini stick insects or the older bandy kneed Mediterranean women in black.
                    I buy from The USA and I buy from the UK. I have to collect everything from a main post office so it is almost a daily run into the city, and sometimes Vat is due. The guys there know me now so well they now let me off the vat:D

Comment

I have just looked on a site I buy hair products from in the Uk and they have a good selction of products for hair loss.
                      Look at www. ukhairdressers . com They are based in the Uk and it is a professional hairdressing company but anyone can buy from them.
                      They sell the Nanogen fibres that you sprinkle onto your hair I mentioned in an earlier post.
                      Maggiemou. x

Comment

There is a problem with shopping though, and one to which I haven't yet got a full cure...and that's having the discipline to go through the wardrobes and systematically remove clothes unworn for a couple of years!!

Comment

...and to cap it all, that high street favourite m&s has finally come up trumps this season with their Speziale range.... It's hell going food shopping these days. :DI usually come home with a jacket or a tunic or dress as well!

Comment

[QUOTE=Mrs M;175605]...and to cap it all, that high street favourite m&s has finally come up trumps this season with their Speziale range.... It's hell going food shopping these days. :DI usually come home with a jacket or a tunic or dress as well![/QUOTE

I bought a fabulous suit skirt and jacket in the Speziale range a couple of years ago I still have it and I still love it.
                            Now I am more ruthless then you Mrs M because I have this thing that for everyone item I buy I throw two out. So this week three new pairs of shoes came in and I throw four pairs out plus a pair of boots. Actually sent them to the hospice shop. I have to be ruthless as we would have no spare room left. I once had my image done way back in the 80.s. The image consultant said you should do this and I have to admit it is good advice because if you have not worn something for over a year you never will again. I have a couple of things that I cant bear to part with that still fit but just no reason for them now but I love to look at them. Escada jackets and Janice Wainwright dress from the 80.s. I have given things away and regretted it. I gave about ten pairs of Gina shoes and matching bags to a charity shop and all my evening wear as I decided I would not need them again. Big mistake! Well not really as they went in a charity auction so someone benefited from them.

Comment

I am loving this thread well done Maggie and girls, I am a hopeless shopper, i hate it, I am nit very fasionable either would rather wear a swimsuit and sarong than clothes , |i know it is going to be difficult for me on the world cruise but hey hoo,
                              ok I have aquestion for you all please I would love your thoughts I postedit on another thread before I found this one but I will ask again
                              mink dilemma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in a bit of a quandry we are going on the three
                              queens world cruise in January 108 days , I know it is going to be very cold in Southampton \crossing the Alantic in Japan \guam\ china and maybe a few other places . my mother has a mink never ever wears it now has been in the wardrobe for the last 25 years and she told me to take it. she does not care if it never comes back she said give it to a homeless person in China!!!!
                              but should I wear it or not ,will someone throw paint at me ! what would you do.
                              ps it is very
                              beautiful and so warm,
                              i am a cold creature I think my blood has thinned down since coming to live in Spain,
                              I would be very interested in your thoughts

Comment

Hola Spanish Lady , Welcome to the tip bits site as suggested by Cornich Girl. Here we can give each other tips and treats.
                                I am so happy for you going on this wonderful world voyage. Lucky lady.
                                Now the to get to your question . I would say you should do what you feel is right by you. Maybe you feel you may offend your mother if you reject the coat. I would say wear it if you feel you want to do so. Most people do not know the difference between the "real thing" or the faux fur that is in vogue at the moment.
                                One thing to consider does it suit you?
                                Have you got the diamonds and pearls to wear with it? ( Joking )
                                Also you must be prepared to wear it with nothing underneath to turn that sexy French husband of yours on.:D Plus it must be the ultimate naughty thing to do. Stand on the freezing deck of Queen Elizabeth without your knickers:D Just wear a big smile and the coat and GO GIRL! :D::D:D
                                On a serious note there were many fur coats on deck of the three Queens Voyage in 2008. Maggiemou. x
                                Last edited by MAGGIEMOU, CYPRUS; 27th November 2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X