• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

" I wish I'd never heard about e-mail/social media"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

" I wish I'd never heard about e-mail/social media"

So far today I have seen 2 reports of public figures caught out by e-mail and tweeting, thinking that their comments/views were private.

One was Mark Carney (who thought he was replying to an e-mail from an acquaintance) and the other a local politician.

The first was a minor indiscretion (IMHO), the second much more worrying - check it out

Daniel Ewen - vice-chair in Esher and Walton - wrote on Facebook: "I would not put it past our establishment, our rightwing government or Theresa May to blow up their own people in order to continue to secure power for themselves".

He has been sacked.

Given that these weren't the first or the last to be caught ......

Is this a new phenomenon or simply a new version of speaking/writing before engaging brain?

I know that when I write on the forum it is in the public domain, but I think many think that Facebook is only accessible to your friends - not so.

E-mails are just as likely to end up in the public domain, either by accident - sending to a mailing list without thought or by somebody forwarding it, innocently or mischievously, or as Mark Carney receiving an e-mail purporting to be somebody they weren't - investigative journalism?

Cheers

Tony B

Cheers

Tony B
    Last edited by toshtosh, Guiseley; 26th May 2017, 12:11 PM.

Hi , It never ceases to amaze me how careless public figures are, What with Gordon Brown calling a Labour party member a bigot, If I was a public servant I would be so... careful, In fact the only place I would feel safe these days would be my private quarters. Only after they had all been scanned of course!!! Jan.

Comment

It is so easy to inadvertently let your guard down. When I cruise I load pictures up continually onto Facebook but I restrict the viewings so that only our parents can see them. I have pre-warned both parents not to like or share or comment on any of these threads until I get back as I do not like to advertise the fact I'm away.

For the same reason, I no longer post on here when my next holiday is, which unfortunately means I no longer arrange meet and greets on board which has been a way of meeting lots of forum members in the past. It is sad you have to think that way. For the forum cruise I was happier chatting about it as I had cat-sitters at home in situ!

On Facebook I will not join in on any of the cruising threads (I see threads from a few groups) as I am very conscious that my identity is very public there and I do not have the added security of a forum name.

You only need to see how quickly a Facebook post can go viral just to realise how easily a post can be viewed by a lot of people.
      Cruising my way through life!

Sue

Comment

My plan is to stay happily unaware of any and most Social Network pages

I know that I will be considered old fashioned and poorly advised but....DO I CARE?

(This one, the cruisedot forum, is an exception to prove the rule) ......Neil

Comment

Third of the day - Katie Hopkins fired from LBC for a tweet - rightly so IMHO.

Where is the line on honest reasonable comment/argument and downright offensive?

This forum is probably the "nicest" on the forum, but occasionally even we trip ourselves up and cross the line for some members.

You only need to look at comments on the more open apps to see how many people become abusive because they think it anonymous or there will be no recriminations.

Just check the comments button on this article on immigration numbers and prepare for UK radicals making comment.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/europeans-...101038448.html

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post
            It is so easy to inadvertently let your guard down. When I cruise I load pictures up continually onto Facebook but I restrict the viewings so that only our parents can see them. I have pre-warned both parents not to like or share or comment on any of these threads until I get back as I do not like to advertise the fact I'm away.

For the same reason, I no longer post on here when my next holiday is, which unfortunately means I no longer arrange meet and greets on board which has been a way of meeting lots of forum members in the past. It is sad you have to think that way. For the forum cruise I was happier chatting about it as I had cat-sitters at home in situ!

On Facebook I will not join in on any of the cruising threads (I see threads from a few groups) as I am very conscious that my identity is very public there and I do not have the added security of a forum name.

You only need to see how quickly a Facebook post can go viral just to realise how easily a post can be viewed by a lot of people.
            Snap.
            I can talk about the forum cruise as my husband is still at home. I never talk about future cruises online and don't join any roll calls either which is a shame but, that's life.
            Luckily, we meet up with fellow past cruisers anyway on many a trip so that's sort of a personal roll call!

Comment

For some reason many people seem to live their lives on social media including politicians. Donald Trump favours Twitter and makes regular comments on it, something I fail to understand. I saw a logo somewhere recently that said 'Hoping your life is as good as you tell everyone on Facebook'! I have never felt the need to share personal information, especially holiday details because I fear it could be used for illegal reasons. My friend, however, has his date of birth, details of his holidays and dates he will be away etc on his Facebook page and despite many warnings he still reveals all on his 'page' saying nobody can see it except his friends. Nothing could be further from the truth. A lady I know had her house burgled while she was on holiday. She was adamant that she had used extra care and not told anyone she would be away even cancelling milk, papers and post. Turned out it was her milkman who had burgled the house!

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
                Third of the day - Katie Hopkins fired from LBC for a tweet

Tony B
                There is very rarely anything on social media that actually cheers me up...............but every now and then.

If only that was the last we ever heard from this evil cow.

Comment

Originally posted by History Addict, Alfreton View Post

My absence was noted on another cruise forum that I use and was then used by a blogger to say that I was on a cruise. I had never posted that I would be away and never do.

When the person that posted that I was on a cruise, was also treated to the same, someone saying that they were away,(not me), my word, did they kick up a fuss.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X