• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we need it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we need it?

Vast areas of the country are having super high speed fibre broadband cables installed and the push is on now to sell us fibre to the house lines. Talk Talk today sent me literature informing me I could have speeds of up to 506Mb/s at a cost o £35 per month.

I am perfectly happy with my 12 - 14 Mb/s at £19.99 a month streaming Amazon Prime and Netflix and surfing the web.

Do we need such speeds?

I certainly have no need for it. I'd be happier to have a decent mobile phone signal at home.Apparently no provider will guarantee a signal in your house which seems pretty ridiculous.

Comment

I just have a dongle for the princely sum of £8.20 a month.............. dont know how many mega doo dahs I get but it suits my needs and I have never run out or had to pay extra for anything.......

Comment

I don't need such speeds but maybe those who are working from home and will be for the foreseeable future might. But my complaint with these things is the invariably messy installation of the underground cables and meters. The pavements around here have been dug up numerous times for broadband, cable TV, phones, and water meters and have never once been reinstated to their previous condition nor anything like it.

Comment

I have had fibre for quite a few years, it's fast and reliable, so I probably wouldn't want to revert to anything slower.
          2018-
          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
          Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

I don’t need it, I have a BT hub which gives me all room, including the garden WiFi, 17mb is perfectly fast enough, I have no problem with the signal when using our iPhones, iPad, TV streaming services, Hive and Alexa.

My contract also includes line rental as we still have a land based phone.
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We had fibre for a few years at our old house. When we downsized, it wasn't available in our apartment complex and we really noticed the difference in speed. Fibre was installed to the building before Christmas, but because of COVID the service people wouldn't come to individual apartments. Luckily we were able to pick up the equipment and instal it ourselves, thanks to YouTube instructions, but many residents weren't confident to do it. We are enjoying having good speed for streaming and video conferencing again.

Sheila

Comment

Streaming services can reduce the quantity when they detect bandwidth limitations.

It still works
                ​​​​​

BBC UHD want 24Mb they send a reduced quality if you only have 12Mb or only give you HD.

For many

Its upload speed that is important for work and then download speed for real stuff like big file transfers or high interactions with work side servers.

1GB at 15Mb is 9.5 mins way too long for people working.

Comment

When 2 of us were working from home at the same time l(and sometimes a student too!) last year our fibre broadband could not cope. We had to disable cameras on team meetings .We upgraded to fibre to the property and it solved it.\also found streaming at busy times terrible with 40 MBPS no such issues now .
                  Even when just one of us was working from home it wasn't that great with the old speeds.
                  More and more things in the home will require Wi-Fi in future and higher definition will always be improved putting more strain.
                  I remember when people thought dial up speeds were all they needed.!
                  Times move on.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                    Vast areas of the country are having super high speed fibre broadband cables installed and the push is on now to sell us fibre to the house lines. Talk Talk today sent me literature informing me I could have speeds of up to 506Mb/s at a cost o £35 per month.
                    Yes, people working at home, uploading and downloading big files and running Teams/Zoom (video calls) do need it.

Some households now have several home workers, plus Netflix etc.
                    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X