• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game changer......Invention, Innovation or what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game changer......Invention, Innovation or what?

What was your game changer?

Simple, complex, grand, world beating, hi-tech, lo-tech, parochial, international, corporate or what..........

One amongst many...........

The wheeled suitcase - and then the icing on the cake - the spinner case.

What's yours?

LMM

Lawnmowerman

The digital camera or camera phone. I shudder to think of the amount of film I wasted one way or another.
    Logic will get you from A to B.
    Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker, Royal Wootton Bassett View Post
      The digital camera or camera phone. I shudder to think of the amount of film I wasted one way or another.
      You're not wrong about wasting film.........

I went to an exhibition many years ago of the Paisley Photographic Society - second oldest in the UK. The images were spectacular and I asked one member about his images and he told me he expected to get only one possibly two good images from a 36 exposure film - and regularly none. I was crestfallen - I expected to join and suddenly have great images every time.

I did join and with guidance my hit rate did improve - but recently it has all been about 'record' shots on holiday. Kiss of death for a photographer to hear a judge describe their photograph as a record shot by the way.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Cashless payment.....living in a village with just one, which at best could be called temperamental, cash point I was always short of cash. So many times had to drive round to find a cash point and often had to pay to take out my own money.
        Concur with digital photography, many times had rolls of film developed and ended with them all going in the bin. Or would try different settings to get a better shot, then if I did get a great picture could never remember what settings I had used

Comment

Considering just over 65 years ago I started work in an accounts dept where everything was done manually, this led me 15 years later to selling mechanical accounting machines for a living. The main manufacturer at the time being NCR (National Cash Register) although the one I sold was a German manufactured machine by a company called Optimatic,

Think the biggest game changer for me has to be high tech the Computer, especially towards the end of my working career, when part of my job involved the daily auditing of the company accounts. On a more personal level the tablet and phone, also concur about digital photography.
          Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 17th January 2021, 07:14 PM.
          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

My android smart phone which from a holiday or cruise point of view means I can leave 'stuff' at home.

It's my camera, my maps, it has a couple of games, I can check the weather and order an Uber and book a table for lunch or dinner. I can check the news if I wish and of course my social media and email. When I think of the chunky desktops we used to have with processors that weighed a ton and the fat back monitor.

What I really love is the photo editing I can do and the quality is far superior to my digital camera which I would need a pc to be able to do the editing. I've also got some lovely photo books that I've created online of some of our best holidays.
            BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Definitely the computer for me.

I first became interested in what a computer could offer probably about 30 years ago. Thanks to a website called Friends United (now defunct), I was able to trace lots of school friends when I was trying to organise a school reunion.

Since then of course, I use my laptop all the time for just about everything. Shopping, banking, research, news, weather forecast, forums, Facebook etc.

Jill

Comment

This morning it was definitely the heated windscreen.

JC
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Washing Machine

Comment

Soft toilet paper.

The internet.
                    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

My spice grinder and food processor.

I love making curries and I like using the grinder to grind all the spices fresh. The processor is great for pulverising everything and making pastes of fresh ginger, garlic, herbs and spices. Yum!

I wouldn't want to be without these kitchen essentials.

Comment

Central Heating

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post

JC
                          Ohh I do miss that - last three cars had that but current one its not offered by the manufacturer.

Oh well, at least I still have heated seats and mirrors.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post

JC
                            Hi JC

My car does have that, but I am not out early enough to need it.

By time I am up and out, windscreen has thawed out 🤣👍😎

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

All just fripperies and toys for boys ( and girls).

My game changer is my artificial hip replacement.
                              It helped to continue my working life and from day one took away the pain I'd suffered for many years...

Garf

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X