• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you an Olympic Couch Potato?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you an Olympic Couch Potato?

I confess to being glued to the TV these past few days and will be until the Olympics are over. I am loving every minute of it, despite the pandemic's negative effects in Tokyo.

If you are not a sports fan, I'm guessing that you might be fed up with it all but I find myself watching sports that are not normally on my radar and enjoying them all.

Are there any more Olympic fans out there? The forum is quiet at the moment, so methinks I am not alone.

Jill

Only caught mention during and between other progs.
    Not bothered this time round.
    Still got some rugby to catch up on.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
      I confess to being glued to the TV these past few days and will be until the Olympics are over. I am loving every minute of it, despite the pandemic's negative effects in Tokyo.

If you are not a sports fan, I'm guessing that you might be fed up with it all but I find myself watching sports that are not normally on my radar and enjoying them all.

Are there any more Olympic fans out there? The forum is quiet at the moment, so methinks I am not alone.

I have tried to watch it but the time difference is one factor not aided by the disjointed coverage by the BBC.

So so unusually for me this time, I have given the Olympic coverage a miss but still recall the coverage of the 1964 games.

Annie

Comment

No thank you, it’s not for me I’m afraid. I’d rather sit and watch paint dry.

As a personal achievement and a thrill for their friends and family I get it, but as a television spectator sport it sucks………...Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

I normally love it, but I have my grandson to stay this week, and can't really just sit glued, so I just catch up with the highlights ............................................Carol

Comment

I've watched some but not much, and I'm a keen sportsman. The Olympics are deeply flawed and I'm not a fan of team sports being in them, nor of sports where an Olympic medal is not their pinnacle, e.g. Tennis and Golf, and I'm sceptical of events that are decided by judges. They are, and indeed have been, open to abuse. Whilst I recognise that some sports are more popular in other parts of the world than they are here there are some daft ones. Skateboarding and Synchronised Swimming (Formation Drowning was Terry Wogan's description of it) spring to mind but they're as nothing if Cheerleading becomes an Olympic sport as is likely in the next Games. But it is the TV coverage that gets under my skin. There's far too much waffle and pointless interviews, and the BBC are not alone in this. Sky's football coverage is the same. I like my sport but when I watch it on TV I make sure the remote isn't far away.

Comment

I'm not the slightest bit interested in watching 'The Olympics' but I have watched the GB gold medal highlights. I'm not a fan of Tom Daley but visually, their final dive was absolutely fabulous.

Adam Peaty for Sportsperson of the Year. So far.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mrs M;n1441223]I'm not the slightest bit interested in watching 'The Olympics' but I have watched the GB gold medal highlights. I'm not a fan of Tom Daley but visually, their final dive was absolutely fabulous.

Adam Peaty for Sportsperson of the Year. So far.[/QUOTE]

I think there will be a few in contention for that particular accolade Mrs M.
                Jill

Comment

The Olympics are a total turn-off for me. I cannot bear the over the top nationalistic coverage of the BBC. Had it not been for the pandemic, I would have taken myself off on a cruise to escape the Games for two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Love it, love it, love it. Non stop Olympics viewing for me. It brings back so many memories of my years as a county athlete and I appreciate the amount of training and dedication it takes to become an elite athlete and compete at the Olympics.

I love all sport, but sadly the closest I got to the Olympics was working as a volunteer for six weeks at London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics. It was the most amazing experience of my life.

I have been setting my alarm for the early hours of the morning to watch the swimming live and cheer on Team GB. Exciting races and well earned gold and silver medals for the team.

Looking forward to enjoying many more days of exciting sport, especially the athletic events.

Bring it on!

Comment

I don't have the slightest interest in any sports whatsoever, so have not watched anything. But as they are happening, then I would wish GB to win.

Comment

[QUOTE=Smith7;n1441226]
                        Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                        I'm not the slightest bit interested in watching 'The Olympics' but I have watched the GB gold medal highlights. I'm not a fan of Tom Daley but visually, their final dive was absolutely fabulous.

Adam Peaty for Sportsperson of the Year. So far.[/QUOTE]

I think there will be a few in contention for that particular accolade Mrs M.
                        Of course there will be, which is why I added 'so far'. However, his achievements throughout his stellar career means, for me, he is 'the one'...so far.

Comment

Yay! I was hoping that I wasn't the only one.

I too have been awake during the night watching the games. Like you Blondie, I admire the dedication of all the athletes, whatever sport and from whatever country.

For me, the best is yet to come. I am so looking forward to the athletics, rowing and the cycling in the velodrome.

Jill

Comment

Some of the sports are rather more TV spectator friendly, such as the water events. OH who is generally a keen sports viewer hasn’t watched too much of the games so far but did stay up late last night to watch the women’s triathlon. I just keep up with the headline results on the BBC website and it’s good to read of the athletes successes, whatever colour of medal they win. And commiserations to those who come so close.

Comment

Yes, loving it.
                              I am not a sports fan as such and am a useless performer - it wasnt my favourite thing at school! As a spectataor I very much enjoy the summer and winter Olympics. There is such a variety, and much that you dont see for the rest of the time. We went to several events at London 2012, not for who won or the finer technical points but just to experience a joyful international atmosphere. Still a great memory.

I dont get up in the wee small hours but catch up and watch anything at breakfast and through the day. We dont have subscription channels but flick between the 2 BBC offerings. I love the cycling, you can always look at the scenery ...... Yesterdays skate boarding was entertaining, gold and silver taken by 13 year olds.

Whats not to like? Surely even if the whole thing doesnt appeal there must be one thing amongst so much.

I didnt watch any Wimbeldon, cant stand it and never have, and I could take or leave the Euros, so now its my turn.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X