• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vendée Globe has started..........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vendée Globe has started..........

This is the most challenging and brutal yacht race in the world and started yesterday leaving from Les Sables d'Olonne.

It is a single-handed round-the-world non-stop yacht race. it really needs to be said twice SINGLE-HANDED, NON-STOP, AROUND THE WORLD, YACHT RACE - not most forumites idea of a worldie!!

Best known by the general public for Ellen MacArthur when in 2001 she became the youngest person (and fastest woman) to complete the race. Most will also remember four years earlier when Tony Bullimore survived 4 days trapped in a pocket of air in his up-turned hull 1,500 miles off the coast of Australia having thought to have perished in the 100mph storm.

Like cycling, France is obsessed with yacht sailing and racing.

I wish them all a safe passage......

LMM

Lawnmowerman

I take it they need to take a sanity test before entering ? Good luck to them tho.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
      I take it they need to take a sanity test before entering ? Good luck to them tho.
      That being the case if they passed the test they would be barred from competing??

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

I'm surprised its going ahead in the current climate. If they get into trouble, someone will have to help them!! ...........................................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
          I'm surprised its going ahead in the current climate. If they get into trouble, someone will have to help them!! ...........................................Carol
          Since they will have been self isolating for weeks the risk to them would be greater than the risk to the rescuers. I assume any experienced sailor would survive the first two weeks without needing rescue, unless they run into exceptional weather conditions, like those encountered in the Fastnet Race in 1979.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

Since they will have been self isolating for weeks the risk to them would be greater than the risk to the rescuers. I assume any experienced sailor would survive the first two weeks without needing rescue, unless they run into exceptional weather conditions, like those encountered in the Fastnet Race in 1979.

Sheila
            And to a lesser extent (but still awful) 1998 Sydney - Hobart race............

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

And to a lesser extent (but still awful) 1998 Sydney - Hobart race............

LMM
              I had forgotten about that one.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X