• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it bother you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it bother you?

Would it bother you if postmen (or should it be postal workers?) went on strike?

Some 95% or more of my communication needs are met by 'phone, texts, emails and internet banking. Most of what the postman (or should it be postal worker) delivers to my house is junk mail and goes straight into the wheelie bin.

If there is any long term disruption I am sure I can push that 95% up to 100% as will many others.

Can't the workers see this? Obviously not, they seem hell bent on "cutting off their noses to spite their faces".

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
    Would it bother you if postmen (or should it be postal workers?) went on strike?

Some 95% or more of my communication needs are met by 'phone, texts, emails and internet banking. Most of what the postman (or should it be postal worker) delivers to my house is junk mail and goes straight into the wheelie bin.

If there is any long term disruption I am sure I can push that 95% up to 100% as will many others.

Can't the workers see this? Obviously not, they seem hell bent on "cutting off their noses to spite their faces".
    Yes it would bother me as I have to use the post for work. It will no longer be a problem when we finally move into the 21st century and go digital next year.

Comment

there are a very few items that we get in the post now, just the Craft Gin Club monthly box! Most items we order online are fulfilled by either couriers such as Hermes or by Amazon's own delivery service. The postal service is becoming irrelevant to a great number of households

Comment

I actually use the postal service regularly.
        On the bright side, no more cruise brochures and all that money will be saving when sending Christmas and Birthday cards by e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
          I actually use the postal service regularly.
          On the bright side, no more cruise brochures and all that money will be saving when sending Christmas and Birthday cards by e-mail.

So do I.

It is OK for us 'townies' but the Postal Service is a lifeline for many rural communities. Who has travelled in a Post Bus?

The Postie in my area is great and an asset to the community. When I am away on a long trip, he checks in with neighbours checking I have not had an accident etc.

Annie

Comment

I would say over 95% of our post is advertising rubbish which goes straight into the bin, other than Birthday or Christmas cards we rarely use the postal service.

So a postal strike will have very little affect.

I see this strike is being aimed during the Christmas period, I wonder what affect it could have on their Christmas gratuities.

I am at the moment waiting for a parcel to be delivered not by the post office but by a courier service, who tell me it will be delivered between 14:46 & 15:46.
            Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 4th October 2017, 12:47 PM.
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Does anyone give tips at Xmas anymore ? We don't have milk delivered, Clean our own windows, Still buy my paper in a shop, The only 1 I can think of is the binmen, Whom I look after if I need any rubbish removed thats "Not on the list!" Just a thought in these digital times. Jan.

Comment

I have no time for strikes, it comes under mob rule in my mind, but I am happy to bin to recycle the junk mail/cruise brochures, etc that arrives almost daily.

This 'rubbish' keeps the postal workers employed along with the printers, paper mills and recycle people which can't be a bad thing..........Wilba
                Wilba

Comment

What about the people (mostly elderly) who do not own a computer? The post is necessary for them. Banks can e-mail a statement, but not a replacement card. We receive various small items such as computer chips and guitar strings by post. I'd miss it if it was not there.

I have a paper an, a window cleaner and a milkman and tip all at Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                    Does anyone give tips at Xmas anymore ? We don't have milk delivered, Clean our own windows, Still buy my paper in a shop, The only 1 I can think of is the binmen, Whom I look after if I need any rubbish removed thats "Not on the list!" Just a thought in these digital times. Jan.
                    I don't buy newspapers, also clean our own windows and no longer have our milk delivered, our postman always leaves everybody a Christmas card, our granddaughter who does a paper round every morning does very well for tips at Christmas.

When we have large items of furniture or electrical goods delivered and the delivery driver brings them in and unpacks them for us, I normally give them a drink. We both tip our haidresser
                    Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

I'd rather have deliveries by Royal Mail than the other unreliable carriers.

At least I can go to the sorting office to pick up a missed delivery. Yodel doesn't have depots and the only way that I could get a redelivery when I was working was to have it put in my recycling bin. I've had parcels delivered for a house a couple of miles away, and never picked up. Amazon actually expected me to take time off for that one! I chased a carrier for one parcel which had apparently been delivered. The driver said that he had left it in my non-existent porch. It never turned up. When I got back from Seattle there was a package sitting outside my front door, it was for a house three doors away. It was propped up against a wheelie bin that had a very large number on it! Apparently the neighbours had the item re-delivered. All the replacements that are provided by companies like Amazon for 'lost' deliveries must be very costly to them.
                      2018-
                      Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                      NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                      Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                      Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                      Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post

At least I can go to the sorting office to pick up a missed delivery. Yodel doesn't have depots and the only way that I could get a redelivery when I was working was to have it put in my recycling bin. I've had parcels delivered for a house a couple of miles away, and never picked up. Amazon actually expected me to take time off for that one! I chased a carrier for one parcel which had apparently been delivered. The driver said that he had left it in my non-existent porch. It never turned up. When I got back from Seattle there was a package sitting outside my front door, it was for a house three doors away. It was propped up against a wheelie bin that had a very large number on it! Apparently the neighbours had the item re-delivered. All the replacements that are provided by companies like Amazon for 'lost' deliveries must be very costly to them.
                        I'm sure you are correct Yogini. Our local Children's' Society shop gets many new items that have been mis delivered for one reason or another and then instead. Our RDA centre had a donation of a box full of new bridles, via the Children's Society shop. We are extremely grateful! Judith

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post

I cannot fault the carrier who delivered my parcel today the same carrier who collected a parcel from me last week, both within the hour time slots allocated to me.

I was upgrading a camera by part exchanging a camera I no longer use, it was the company who I was dealing with (not Amazon) who arranged the carrier to both collect my old camera and deliver my new one FOC. They informed me of date of delivery and gave me a tracking number, the courier then contacted me by instant messenger to arrange my delivery preference (collection point of 6 local stores being one option) and a time slot, even drivers name,

When I checked the tracking details on line, I discovered the time and date, the parcel arrived at the couriers nearest depot (Crawley) of the company who provided the goods, the time and date it then arrived at the main distribution depot (London), then time and date it arrived at my local depot (Chelmsford). Don't think the Royal Mail could have given me a better service.
                          Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 4th October 2017, 04:11 PM.
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                            Does anyone give tips at Xmas anymore ? We don't have milk delivered, Clean our own windows, Still buy my paper shop, The only 1 I can think of is the binmen, Whom I look after if I need any rubbish removed thats "Not on the list!" Just a thought in these digital times. Jan.
                            Hi Jan , my next door neighbour(a farmer and livery stables owner) is the only man in the world who actually receives a tip at Christmas FROM the binmen . I went down the yard one day and saw lots of crates of beer . When I asked my neighbour what they were for , he said that the lads on the bins had brought them for him!! He has a large pile of well rotted horse manure , which he lovingly tends(spraying it with water when its dry/hot to aid decomposition) , it really is good stuff ,not all straw ,and he lets anybody take as big a bag as they can carry for 50p. Apparently the bin men take it and sell it on their round at a profit...hence the tip.

Comment

We actually had one parcel delivered and it was found in the recycling bin!! The postman knows who is in or out, and which neighbours to leave parcels with and knows the bin is not the correct place
                              If I need to send anything expensive or important signed documents I only trust the Royal Mail, recorded and insured.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X