• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Boris's London Hub Airport|

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Boris's London Hub Airport|

Having seen the artist impression of what Boris's "Baby" could look like, it is a fantastic idea of what could happen in the future. Said that it could be ready in seven years and create 200,000 jobs. Could even have the cruise ships alongside. Heathrow would go, and that area be rebuilt into a great new living area. Has a lot of merit in it's conception. Seems Boris is not all hot air. What are your thoughts on a new London Airport that does not need hundreds of acres of land. Be of more economic value than the HSR2…………………..John

"200,000 new jobs"? Doing what? And how would this mega workforce, not to mention passengers, get to this oasis?

"Could be ready in seven years"? Dream on.

"Airport that doies not need hundreds of acres of land"? Have you looked at any major airport and what surounds it and is part of it?

Compare, say, Frankfurt with Heathrow or this scheme and already you are onto a loser - there is an existing airport, with the capacity, and with all of the infra structure already in place, at the heart of Europe. And with the continual threat of this country leaving the EEC?

Boris is in cloud cuckoo land.Just as with shipping and container ports we have long since been overtaken by Continental cities and Continental dynamism.
    Last edited by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry; 13th November 2013, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I just wish they'd expand my nearest airport which is Lydd in Kent right on the coast so minimal noise nuisance and towns people are in need of the jobs. It would also be very handy for me to nip off to Europe and further afield and for you guys from the North to fly down to Dover to your cruise connections.

Comment

Originally posted by granddaddy, worksop View Post
        Having seen the artist impression of what Boris's "Baby" could look like, it is a fantastic idea of what could happen in the future. Said that it could be ready in seven years and create 200,000 jobs. Could even have the cruise ships alongside. Heathrow would go, and that area be rebuilt into a great new living area. Has a lot of merit in it's conception. Seems Boris is not all hot air. What are your thoughts on a new London Airport that does not need hundreds of acres of land. Be of more economic value than the HSR2…………………..John
        Two words of caution "Richard Montgomery"

Comment

Originally posted by trevor432990, East Sussex View Post
          I just wish they'd expand my nearest airport which is Lydd in Kent right on the coast so minimal noise nuisance and towns people are in need of the jobs. It would also be very handy for me to nip off to Europe and further afield and for you guys from the North to fly down to Dover to your cruise connections.
          Lydd International hub.... hmm, maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post
            "200,000 new jobs"? Doing what? And how would this mega workforce, not to mention passengers, get to this oasis?

"Could be ready in seven years"? Dream on.

"Airport that doies not need hundreds of acres of land"? Have you looked at any major airport and what surounds it and is part of it?

Compare, say, Frankfurt with Heathrow or this scheme and already you are onto a loser - there is an existing airport, with the capacity, and with all of the infra structure already in place, at the heart of Europe. And with the continual threat of this country leaving the EEC?

Boris is in cloud cuckoo land.Just as with shipping and container ports we have long since been overtaken by Continental cities and Continental dynamism.
            Actually, I read recently that if jet air travel were invented today then airports would be overwhelmingly sited on reclaimed land - coastal or estuarial. This is not just so as to avoid noise nuisance etc, but to guarantee the possibility of expansion.

I don't know the numbers, but modern airports must be big employers, and if we haven't lost all the traffic to Frankfurt and Charles de Gaulle yet, with all the trouble of accessing Heathrow, I suppose there's every reason to imagine we could retain that traffic at a new, modern airport.

Comment

They missed their chance when Greenham Common was dug up and made into a by pass at Newbury. Longest runway in Europe and built to last. But building a runway in Kent ?? What a rubbish idea. Dig some more runways at LHR is the answer.
              But why not use RAF Northolt see - RAF Northolt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You could run domestic flights from here, and free up LHR for intercontinental. And the runways can be extended if needed.
              Transfers between LHR terminals and Northolt could be via an Underground link, bus or whatever.
              This solution is cheap, simple and handy.
              The RAF could still use Northolt, they do in Dalaman, so why not think outside the box?

Comment

[QUOTE=granddaddy, worksop;569143] Heathrow would go, and that area be rebuilt into a great new living area.[/uote]

That's all we need: more houses ann flats on this tiny island.

Seems Boris is not all hot air.
                I don't know enough about it the topic make an informed judgement. However even if it is a good idea, one good idea does not mean that he is not all hot air!
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

But why not use RAF Northolt
                  Hi AVB
                  Because its Camerons private airfield,,,50 foreign jaunts in 3yrs so far,another one to Sri Lanka coming up.

I love it when they say,this investment (in South-East) will bring much prosperity to the North of England and the regions.Yea right!!!
                  And were are these workers going to live,,,,in a report yesterday it says you can't get a house in London and surrounding areas if you earn less than £100k year.

Politicians love the big scale projects,,,,they don't have to pay for them.
                  We have no money they say,,,then propose a new airport at £40bn,and HS2 at £50bn+.

If they are going to have HS2 let it have a link from an improved Manchester Airport.
                  JC
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

They need to scrap the HS2 plan and use the money to build some power stations because it's not worth having an infrastructure if there's no power to it. Whilst they are at it they should re-nationalise power and water provision because the current suppliers are just ripping consumers off and not doing any of the development work they are supposed to have been doing.

Comment

How about Doncaster (Robin Hood) ex Finningley ? One of the longest runways in the UK. Also expand Hull docks and everything is within reach. Plenty of space for expansion and loads of jobs for Northern folk
                      sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X