• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brexit - when will it show a net benefit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit - when will it show a net benefit?

A couple of questions for Leavers:
    Brexit: Michael Gove warns of 'significant disruption' at border as effects of trade change begin to be felt. (see link below)

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-lo...-felt-12182181

Partly because of the pandemic lockdown and the Xmas/New Year these first issues of our departure from the EU are a few days later than Project Fear predicted.

So , given that the administrative cost of the last 4 years of Brexit are estimated at £200 Billion, our net savings on annual subscriptions are about £8 Billion and it seems we have an unknown but significant on cost of red tape, when will we start to show any benefits?

Don't forget that almost all the trade deals already negotiated are simply carry overs of the existing EU deals.

Secondly when will we see a net benefit?

Cheers and Happy New Year to all.

Don’t actually care. It is someone else’s problem

Comment

We are already showing a benefit. We have vaccinated more people than the total of all of the countries in the EU. It seems that the EU is bogged down in red tape and recrimination. This in turn is predicted to have a significant effect on economic recovery.

However, be that as it may, we have completely left the EU. We are where we are and all of the “I told you so’s” won’t change a single thing. The democratic will of the people has been carried out.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
        We are already showing a benefit. We have vaccinated more people than the total of all of the countries in the EU. It seems that the EU is bogged down in red tape and recrimination. This in turn is predicted to have a significant effect on economic recovery.

However, be that as it may, we have completely left the EU. We are where we are and all of the “I told you so’s” won’t change a single thing. The democratic will of the people has been carried out.
        My thoughts exactly.

EU regulations stopped us promoting UK foods and products. (Ireland ignored this rule.) Now it's time to bang the drum in supermarkets and shops; "made in Britain". Where possible, we should be supporting our own economy.

Comment

I thought we were already allowed to approve those vaccines under emergency provisions of EU law?

I know that Jacob Rees Mogg was claiming we had approved the vaccines faster because we had changed the regulations ourselves as a result of Brexit, but our medicines regulator said that was not the case.

Our speedy approval (which I applaud) was credited to our rigorous review and assessment processes, which I don't think were anything to do with Brexit. I imagine it was a case of Rees Mogg being economical with the truth again.

If we are now faster with the actual 'needles in arms' bit, great. It's a good job, given our awful death rates!

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

I thought we were already allowed to approve those vaccines under emergency provisions of EU law?

I know that Jacob Rees Mogg was claiming we had approved the vaccines faster because we had changed the regulations ourselves as a result of Brexit, but our medicines regulator said that was not the case.

Our speedy approval (which I applaud) was credited to our rigorous review and assessment processes, which I don't think were anything to do with Brexit. I imagine it was a case of Rees Mogg being economical with the truth again.

If we are now faster with the actual 'needles in arms' bit, great. It's a good job, given our awful death rates!

Think I'd believe the regulator rather than Moggie. You're being very kind saying he was economical with the truth!

We're out now whether we like it or not & I now we've got to make the best of it.

I agree we should be promoting Briish products and services. So no more Government contracts being given to other countries when we need to support UK companies, passport production being given to a French - Dutch company to produce in Poland springs to mind!

Comment

As has already been stated the EU holding up vaccination is a total myth,all countries had the power to approve separately in an emergency as confirmed by an independent regulator, rather than a biased politician.
              Still never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
              .I've noticed fresh food supplies the last few days are less.Could be coincidence,but unlike the vaccination story, it is true there is more red tape for such supplies, logistic companies have confirmed it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post

My thoughts exactly.

EU regulations stopped us promoting UK foods and products. (Ireland ignored this rule.) Now it's time to bang the drum in supermarkets and shops; "made in Britain". Where possible, we should be supporting our own economy.
                Hi Stewart
                You were saying much the same thing about buying Chinese goods a few weeks ago.

The day after there was a story on Sky News re China now being the biggest producer of Caviar in the world,,,in an interview with the CEO of the company he was asked who was buying it,,,,,,,,the biggest customer he said was the Queen of England.

Nothing like starting at the top,,,,send her an E-Mail.

JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

But you just know that next month when EU countries overtake us the government will then stop using those figures as they are not comparable.

Net benefit....stamps in my passport. Was always a bit disappointed when you never got your passport stamped entering any EU countries.

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

I have been reading a few articles by the editor of DE BILT a German newspaper, he has verified that the EU regulator was slow in granting the use of the vaccine and praised our regulator for passing it so quickly and when it was needed all the while the British were being vaccinated , while the Europeans were kept waiting so indecisive as always.

Also the fact remains we have our own vaccine discovered in our country and are saving lives without having to consult the EU!! Give credit where credit is due.
                    sigpic

Comment

Another issue this German editor made in case you weren't aware of it is that all the EU states are going to lose their identities? they will all apparently come under the United States of Europe/ would you all want that? .I certainly wouldn't .
                      sigpic

Comment

Brexit did not speed up the UK vaccine authorisation.

Factcheck.......
                        https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...qW1AlI_pLqbGYS

So let’s bury that myth.
                        JC
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post

I have been reading a few articles by the editor of DE BILT a German newspaper, he has verified that the EU regulator was slow in granting the use of the vaccine and praised our regulator for passing it so quickly and when it was needed all the while the British were being vaccinated , while the Europeans were kept waiting so saindecisive as always.

Also the fact remains we have our own vaccine discovered in our country and are saving lives without having to consult the EU!! Give credit where credit is due.
                          I did give credit where I felt it was due.

​​​​As I explained, our own medicines regulator has said that speedy vaccines approval was thanks to our sound assessments and processes.

That is great and I applaud it, but is nothing to do with Brexit, as our regulator explicitly pointed out. We already had the ability to do this under emergency EU regs.

I believe our regulator on that one.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                            As has already been stated the EU holding up vaccination is a total myth,all countries had the power to approve separately in an emergency as confirmed by an independent regulator, rather than a biased politician.
                            Still never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
                            .I've noticed fresh food supplies the last few days are less.Could be coincidence,but unlike the vaccination story, it is true there is more red tape for such supplies, logistic companies have confirmed it.
                            Yes two of my children work in Logistics they have said their work load has increased no end. As they say, 'Time will Tell' .........................................Carol

Comment

We did stop the tax on sanitary products, which I believe we had to have before we left

But then I also read, it used to go to a charity that won't receive any money now. 5% saving on the products is pennies, but added together for a charity will be a huge loss

One thing I have noticed, things do seem to have a knock on effect, so some will win, but others will lose! .............................................Carol

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X