• Ahoy there! Why not join the UKโ€™s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone watch the bunfight? I mean the debate ๐Ÿ˜‰

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone watch the bunfight? I mean the debate ๐Ÿ˜‰

I just watched the first โ€œdebateโ€ for the American presidential election. We had recorded it last night as it happened while we were sleeping. Iโ€™ve lived here for 37 years and have watched Question Time for most of it, but never have I ever seen anything like this on TV. I thought Fiona Bruce has a hard time with 5 people with differing opinions on the panel, but she makes them look an orderly bunch compared with the antics of Donald Trump. You all know my feelings about the Orange Ogre, but he really took the biscuit last night with his constant interruptions of Joe Biden and the Moderator Chris Wallace who is apparently from his favourite network Fox News. I had to laugh out loud when Joe Biden told him to โ€œshut up manโ€ . It really was a shambles and a shame for the American people who deserved better.

Two things really got me, one was the refusal to refute the White supremacist groups who are on the rise. Trump told the Proud Boys to stand back and stand by, which they immediately took to mean to be ready to keep him in the White House by any means possible. Lock and load perhaps? The second thing that got to me was his assertion that โ€œwatchersโ€ from his Republican supporter base were thrown out of polling stations. They had gone into โ€œvoting support stationsโ€ where people go to presumably get help in filling out their ballot forms for whatever reason. These โ€œwatchersโ€ were asked to leave as these places were not actual polling stations. Surely the potential voters who went for assistance felt rather intimidated by these people. Trump wants these watchers to be there all over the place on Election Day. This smacks of the old Jim Crow โ€œlawsโ€ that existed in many southern states to prevent African-Americans from voting in years gone by. Disgusting is what I call it.

Take care and stay well. Helen

I watched it live.

I must say the American people do not have much to choose from between these 2. Donald Trump - when he speaks he uses simple language, as though completely uneducated and repeats himself. Joe Biden means well but he bumbles quite a lot. When his supporters are only hoping he remembers things and does not lose track of what he is saying, this is worrying to say the least. Put this up against a president who has not made a good job of his current term, there is nothing to choose from and I feels sorry for the Americans wondering where to put their vote on the ballot paper.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
      I watched it live.

I must say the American people do not have much to choose from between these 2. Donald Trump - when he speaks he uses simple language, as though completely uneducated and repeats himself. Joe Biden means well but he bumbles quite a lot. When his supporters are only hoping he remembers things and does not lose track of what he is saying, this is worrying to say the least. Put this up against a president who has not made a good job of his current term, there is nothing to choose from and I feels sorry for the Americans wondering where to put their vote on the ballot paper.
      Hi lucy
      Nothing to choose between them?
      Did you fall asleep after 2 minutes.
      There is only one of them who is a racist,white supremisist pathological liar,,who is the biggest threat to US democracy in the nations history,,,a man who happily cause a civil war to further his own narcissistic ends,,a man who would fiddle the election if he could,,a man who called US soldiers losers etc,etc.

And you say thereโ€™s nothing to choose between them because the other man bumbles quite a lot.

Iโ€™ll take the bumbler please.
      JC
      C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Joe Biden has a stammer/stutter that he has had to deal with since he was a child. He is not a bumbler! As Lucy said Trump uses words of one possibly 2 syllables when he speaks and repeats himself...endlessly. Biden made a number of points eloquently and addressed the people directly while doing it. Trump refused to dismiss his ultra right wing white suprematist supporters who gleefully took to social media afterwards to say that they were standing by for him. Does this mean we will have full blown riots on polling day to prevent people from casting their vote? Trump makes me ashamed to be an American! As much as I hate to say it, Iโ€™m glad my Mum isnโ€™t here to witness what he has done to the presidency and our country.

Comment

I thought Biden did well to counter the 'Sleepy Joe' label put on him by Trump. Trump has portrayed him as an old man bordering on senility, although he himself is only three years younger, and he certainly did not give that impression. Trump came across as a bully before even considering what he said. Apart from his white supremacy comments, I was shocked at how he dismissed the military record of Beau Biden and went straight onto the attack against Hunter Biden.

Two more debates like that...... I don't think I will watch another.
          Sheila

Comment

I watched snippets on the CNN website.

TBH, they should cancel the remainder of the 'debates'.

I would not bet against the OO winning in November.

Annie

Comment

Did not watch the debate but have seen a number of videos showing extracts from the debate including coverage on ITV news,

Have to say I am with both JC and Helen on this one.

The one thing I would not want to be at this moment intime is an American, the way the President of America behaved was nothing short of a National Embarrassment
              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I don't understand American politics. I really love your insight and views Helen, I am NOT a fan of Trump and do not agree with what I consider to be his supremacist leanings. I think the man is a bully and I wonder whether if he gets a 2nd term, he can change the law to ensure he 'does a Putin' and remains president for more than 2 terms. Fanciful, I know, but these are crazy, worrying times.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
                  I don't understand American politics. I really love your insight and views Helen, I am NOT a fan of Trump and do not agree with what I consider to be his supremacist leanings. I think the man is a bully and I wonder whether if he gets a 2nd term, he can change the law to ensure he 'does a Putin' and remains president for more than 2 terms. Fanciful, I know, but these are crazy, worrying times.

Barb
                  You are not being fanciful Barb! He would love to stay on longer as it really boosts his ego (like it needs it?). The other reason he wants to stay in office for now was revealed by the New York Times the other day. The man is in serious debt! He is as dishonest as the day is long and knows that he canโ€™t be indicted as a sitting president. Once he leaves office the situation will change and if indicted and found guilty he will go to prison as will Ivanka, for major tax fraud. I only hope that Americans vote for Biden in such huge numbers that he will be forced to concede as graciously as he is able to (which is to say that he actually leaves the White House when heโ€™s supposed to).

Take me care and stay well. Helen

Comment

If the GOP don't win [and I'm with Annie in that they have a reasonable chance of winning a second term] they have ninety nine days to ensure their candidate is elected to the Supreme Court. Scary days.

Comment

Comment

Iโ€™ve just watched โ€œTrump an American dreamโ€ on Netflix. What an eye opener into this man, his methods, his rise and fall, then rise again following his appearance on the US version of the Apprentice. Dates back to 1974 when he purchased the Commodore hotel in New York and persuaded the city to give him a 40 year tax break. Worth a watch

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread Helen, the UK press likened the โ€˜debateโ€™ to a food fight with the loser having the most โ€˜slopโ€™ on him. What a shambles!

Still on the food theme, Trump really takes the biscuit with his loud overbearing manner and aggressive attitude. A nasty piece of work.

Its also interesting to learn why he needs to stay in office, otherwise his chickens might be coming home to roost.

In retrospect the Democrats didnโ€™t choose that wisely in the last election with Hillary Clinton, so I hope they havenโ€™t repeated the error with Joe Biden. He does look rather frail to take on the office of President for the next four years. Why donโ€™t US politicians want to retire at 65......theyโ€™re no different in this country!

Comment

I happened to start reading another article on DT today that pretty much sums up what a plank he is. When his first wife Ivana had their son Donald Jr they were discussing the name they would choose for him. Ivana suggested Donald Jr and DT replied, โ€œbut what if he turns out to be a loser?โ€ Can you imagine saying that about your newborn baby? The man is a complete disgrace as a person.

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                              Thanks for starting this thread Helen, the UK press likened the โ€˜debateโ€™ to a food fight with the loser having the most โ€˜slopโ€™ on him. What a shambles!

Still on the food theme, Trump really takes the biscuit with his loud overbearing manner and aggressive attitude. A nasty piece of work.

Its also interesting to learn why he needs to stay in office, otherwise his chickens might be coming home to roost.

In retrospect the Democrats didnโ€™t choose that wisely in the last election with Hillary Clinton, so I hope they havenโ€™t repeated the error with Joe Biden. He does look rather frail to take on the office of President for the next four years. Why donโ€™t US politicians want to retire at 65......theyโ€™re no different in this country!
                              Not Bidenโ€™s age yet but I cannot see how a man of that age can โ€œrun a countryโ€œ like the USA. However fit and healthy his aids tell you he is there can be no doubt his physical and mental capabilities are well past their prime. Sadly it comes to us all, everything slows down, weakens and starts to โ€œfall apartโ€, however much we might say otherwise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X