• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fanning the flames!🔥

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fanning the flames!🔥

If you’ve been watching the news about what has been happening across the pond, you will be as appalled as I am . My husband and I have been tuning in to CNN most evenings to see what is happening in the run up to the election. Masochistic on our part, as every time the Orange Ogre opens his mouth I start swearing at the television. We are still scratching our heads as to how DT got elected in the first place and are fervently praying that he doesn’t get re-elected. The man is just plain evil and racist and has been deliberately fanning the flames of division and destroying all the advances of the past 60 years of the civil rights movement. How can he justify the police in Kenosha in the firing of seven bullets into the back of an unarmed man, in front of his children while seeming to exonerate the 17 year old who wielded an assault rifle against protesters in his town killing two of them?

The two National Party Conventions certainly highlighted the difference between the two men running for the office of POTUS, not to mention the calibre of the speakers contributing to each convention. On the one hand Joe Biden had President Obama and Michelle Obama as well as various other lucid speakers including a number of Republican Party members. True, there wasn’t the usual razzmatazz associated with conventions due to Covid, but I actually felt that it meant the message was clearer. On the other hand the Republican convention was mostly held at the White House (very naughty) and most of the speakers were members of Trump’s own family. Apart from anything else, the lies that were being trotted out showed just how low he was prepared to go in order to secure a second term. On top of that it was disclosed the week before that postal sorting machines around the country had been systematically removed from post offices around the country, with no plans to reinstate them before the election. In addition to that the blue letter boxes around the country have also been quietly disappearing which means people in America will have to go much further to post a letter. Trump claims that postal votes will be open to vote rigging. Really? Hmmmmm, it seems to me that the only vote rigging going on is that which is being aided and abetted by the president himself.

I can only hope and pray that my fellow Americans do the right thing in November and tell this would be dictator to take a hike.

Rant over.

Take care and stay well. Helen

The UK is by no means perfect and our current government has questions to answer over their output of fake news BUT, I would rather be here than there.

Under DT his style is overt. Ours on the other hand is more insidious in that it is not immediately obvious - Windrush for example.

But on balance we have a lot to be thankful for (not all of us though).

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Hi Helen

My American friends on the East Coast are tearing their hair out. I feel I am replaying the counselling sessions of the post-2016 Presidential election.

However, I confess to thinking along the lines of Michael Moore 'I've got a bad feeling about this'

I have met a few Trumpies - conviction voters of the highest order - those I met will turn out to vote.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
        The UK is by no means perfect and our current government has questions to answer over their output of fake news BUT, I would rather be here than there.

Under DT his style is overt. Ours on the other hand is more insidious in that it is not immediately obvious - Windrush for example.

But on balance we have a lot to be thankful for (not all of us though).

LMM
        Apologies everyone:

Tony Abbott the former Australian PM is under consideration by the PM as a UK Trade Envoy has been quoted as saying:

'.... the economic costs of lockdown meant families should be allowed to consider letting elderly relatives with the coronavirus die by letting nature take its course.'

Says it all.

Annie

Comment

I'm beginning to think that a fair proportions of Americans are amongst the most stupid people on earth. I just can't believe that this man has anybody willing to vote for him, let alone having a chance of re-election.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Apologies everyone:

Tony Abbott the former Australian PM is under consideration by the PM as a UK Trade Envoy has been quoted as saying:

'.... the economic costs of lockdown meant families should be allowed to consider letting elderly relatives with the coronavirus die by letting nature take its course.'

Says it all.

Annie
            If true this appointment would be right up DC's street!

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

He'll win by a landslide

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

If true this appointment would be right up DC's street!

LMM

HI LMM
                Mr Cummings and Mr Trump are both working from the same playbook,,,it’s called Chaos Theory.
                To change a society into your own image,first you have to destroy the one you have.

JC
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                  He'll win by a landslide

Garf

Hi Garf
                  If he does it will be the end of you Brexitears dream of sovereignty and taking back control,,,you do realise that.

JC
                  C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                  "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Apologies everyone:

Says it all.

Annie
                    plus

On getting a trade deal............“to ensure that we weren’t side-tracked by peripheral issues such as labour and environmental standards” or " the only thing I wouldn't do is sell my arse"

Or as Truss is not only the International Trade Minister but also the Womens and Equalities Minister how about...."I have always been wary of debates involving women" or
                    “I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different ​​​​​​" or
                    "what the housewvies need to understand as they do the ironing" or
                    ‘I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak’

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                      He'll win by a landslide

Garf
                      Sadly, I think you’re right. He’s a rocket but the democrats chose to put Biden up against him. Unless things change soon, he doesn’t stand a chance against Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Sadly, I think you’re right. He’s a rocket but the democrats chose to put Biden up against him. Unless things change soon, he doesn’t stand a chance against Trump.
                        Biden is not as hopeless a candidate as you seem to think. Throughout his legislative career he has always championed the underdog and he knows better than anyone else that his age is against him getting in for two terms. It is why Biden picked an African-American woman to be his running mate who is at least 20 years younger than he is. If he gets into the Oval Office and for whatever reason is unable to finish the term in office then Kamala Harris becomes President. Believe me when I say that people of colour in America will move heaven and earth to cast their votes on Election Day, even if it means catching Covid and paying the ultimate price for exercising their right to vote. America need to take a long hard look at itself and decide if they really want to be a vassal state to Putin’s Russia.

Take care and stay well. Helen😕

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                          I'm beginning to think that a fair proportions of Americans are amongst the most stupid people on earth. I just can't believe that this man has anybody willing to vote for him, let alone having a chance of re-election.
                          Oh I think he has a great chance of re election.

I think Helen will agree with me when I say the voting system is nothing like anything over here. There are huge swathes of middle America who have not been out of their state, never mind country, who see Donald Trump as their saviour.

I have nothing to do with any of this but as we have been in the US for the last three elections, I sort of have a grasp on things. Donald Trump didn't win last time. more Hilary Clinton lost, if that makes sense and I haver a feeling that could happen again.

The Democrats have ''picked'' a candidate who is old. Their saving grace, as far as I;'m concerned, is his running mate but there again, a black female could put off millions of ''staid'' middle Americans.

Nightmare.

Comment

Hi Helen. We were on a cruise when DT was elected. There was an American couple on board that wore black for 2 days to mark their horror.

A cousin of mine emigrated to Canada 25 years ago and is now a Canadian citizen. If what he tells me is to be believed, most Canadians despise DT and everything he stands for.

We can only hope that he doesn't get a second term but I think enough stupid people will vote for him.

Jill

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                              Hi Pete, yes, there are an incredible number of really stupid people in America who believed his lies in the first place and got him elected. I’m ashamed to say that there are some of his supporters in the wider family. Thankfully I don’t have to disown any of my siblings 😉 although I was cross with them 4 years ago for not making sure DT didn’t get in. Too many people disliked Hilary so much they couldn’t vote for her so they didn’t vote full stop and we have paid the price ever since.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X