• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nicola Sturgeon............

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicola Sturgeon............

Another confident address to the Scottish Parliament today. Two weeks with no Covid deaths. Schools to reopen in full no later than the 18th August with the majority opening as normal on the 11th August.

Check it out on BBC iPlayer if you wish (BBC1 Scotland).

Party politics aside I feel she is delivering for the whole of Scotland.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
    Another confident address to the Scottish Parliament today. Two weeks with no Covid deaths. Schools to reopen in full no later than the 18th August with the majority opening as normal on the 11th August.

LMM
    Hi LMM

People believe she cares and they trust her more than Westminster.

Annie

Comment

I’ve watched a number of her daily updates on telly and she has come across as clear, decisive and natural.....in that she doesn’t sound as if she’s reading a script wot someone else wrote!

(So long as she stays off her pet subject of Independence.......where she gets a bit strident.)

Comment

Unless of course, you compare the deaths in countries with approximately 5M inhabitants, and way and by far Scotland is the worst of the lot. Yes she can talk, but what she delivers is another matter.

Everything she touches turns to dust. Hopefully, the new Hate Crime Bill will go the same way as the Named Persons fiasco.

She was the one that as Health Minister signed off the Death Star, sorry Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, with the adjoining children's hospital built over a sewage works that has had to be closed, just like the new one in Edinburgh that also is closed. The Glasgow hospital has 10,000 staff, 1700 patients, thousands of out-patients (normally), thousands of visitors and 3,000 car parking spaces. Unbelievable.

Education went from world class to the bottom of the class and they're still floundering.

The jails are full so their solution is to give hundreds of prisoners early release.

What really annoys me is the use of the Scottish Saltire. It does not belong to the SNP, they have their own yellow flag with a squiggle the Saltire belongs to the whole of Scotland.

Blackford is another embarrassment. He needs to get it into his head that he does NOT speak for the people of Scotland. He merely speaks for the 45% that voted SNP and their Brigadoon policies.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
          Unless of course, you compare the deaths in countries with approximately 5M inhabitants, and way and by far Scotland is the worst of the lot. Yes she can talk, but what she delivers is another matter.

Everything she touches turns to dust. Hopefully, the new Hate Crime Bill will go the same way as the Named Persons fiasco.

She was the one that as Health Minister signed off the Death Star, sorry Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, with the adjoining children's hospital built over a sewage works that has had to be closed, just like the new one in Edinburgh that also is closed. The Glasgow hospital has 10,000 staff, 1700 patients, thousands of out-patients (normally), thousands of visitors and 3,000 car parking spaces. Unbelievable.

Education went from world class to the bottom of the class and they're still floundering.

The jails are full so their solution is to give hundreds of prisoners early release.

What really annoys me is the use of the Scottish Saltire. It does not belong to the SNP, they have their own yellow flag with a squiggle the Saltire belongs to the whole of Scotland.

Blackford is another embarrassment. He needs to get it into his head that he does NOT speak for the people of Scotland. He merely speaks for the 45% that voted SNP and their Brigadoon policies.
          Oops - touched a raw nerve there. Not a fan then.

I was commenting on her performance in comparison to Boris Johnson's performance in the present climate.

Of course, like you I lament the dreadful decline in education standards in Scotland which at one time were a beacon to all. I question if the decline can solely be laid at her door or indeed the current government. I feel the rot set in much earlier but sadly has not been turned round.

Last time I looked the UK government were quite happy to use the Union flag.

However, these can be discussed elsewhere.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Oops - touched a raw nerve there. Not a fan then.

I was commenting on her performance in comparison to Boris Johnson's performance in the present climate.

Of course, like you I lament the dreadful decline in education standards in Scotland which at one time were a beacon to all. I question if the decline can solely be laid at her door or indeed the current government. I feel the rot set in much earlier but sadly has not been turned round.

Last time I looked the UK government were quite happy to use the Union flag.

However, these can be discussed elsewhere.

LMM
            Back to the Pandemic crisis management.

JMO it is clear the Scottish Government has a plan - elimination.

Unsure of UK strategy. In the words of Edinburgh Prof Devi Sridhar, England appears to be content if the virus is suppressed to approx 500 cases a day. Currently they exceed that target.

I know which strategy I prefer.

Annie

Comment

LMM
              And yet Scotland is the third worst performing country in Europe on an "excess deaths" basis according to an ONS study reported today. Considering population density etc. the worst performing?

With regards to the "plan" I expect when detailed comparisons are made with the UK "plan" there are no real significant differences. Certainly she is a good speaker and always looks very professional but I don't know how your economy, education, health service, social services, polices services etc. are performing. I hear there are many problems and she does have to rely on monies from the UK government but have never studied things in detail.

Is she still going ahead with quarantining visitors from England?

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Back to the Pandemic crisis management.

JMO it is clear the Scottish Government has a plan - elimination.

Unsure of UK strategy. In the words of Edinburgh Prof Devi Sridhar, England appears to be content if the virus is suppressed to approx 500 cases a day. Currently they exceed that target.

I know which strategy I prefer.

Annie
                I agree Annie

Get some border controls going!!

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Hi LMM

Jackson Carlaw has resigned - I know he is your favourite Tory

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                    And yet Scotland is the third worst performing country in Europe on an "excess deaths" basis according to an ONS study reported today. Considering population density etc. the worst performing?

With regards to the "plan" I expect when detailed comparisons are made with the UK "plan" there are no real significant differences. Certainly she is a good speaker and always looks very professional but I don't know how your economy, education, health service, social services, polices services etc. are performing. I hear there are many problems and she does have to rely on monies from the UK government but have never studied things in detail.

Is she still going ahead with quarantining visitors from England?
                    So is now the right time for the ONS excess death figures to be used to show how poorly the UK has performed

Comment

I agree Annie

LMM
                      I agree...works both ways you know....

Garf

Comment

I agree Annie

LMM
                        😯 Leave it for a couple more days.......my family are still visiting SW Scotland!

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post

I agree...works both ways you know....

Garf
                          I don't know anyone who wants to travel to the country which is the leading Covid country of the UK

Annie

Comment

IIRC Scotland was the UK leader in care home infection rates.

The current status might be worth a look..

The use whole country is flawed it hides the local distributions which is where efforts should be focused to contain.

Artificial borders are the wrong boundaries.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                              Hi LMM

Jackson Carlaw has resigned - I know he is your favourite Tory

Annie
                              Ughh, old school posho - used to deal with his firm Carlaw Cars - didn't enjoy that either (trader to trader).

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X