• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anarchic Mob in Bristol - Hypocrisy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol..apparently these numpties sprayed racist on Gandhi's statue ...

As one ex member was fond of saying..you couldn't make it up.

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
      And that law breaking was acceptable? Arson, looting, 113 people injured and 100 police officers needing treatment was acceptable?
      Hi John
      And the PeterLoo Masacre was acceptable?

Churchill turning the troops onto striking Welsh miners was acceptable.?

History is littered with what some would find unacceptable,just depends what side you are on.

I bet a few on here found it quite acceptable when the Met police in their hundreds trampled anyone in their way,smashing heads in gratuitous violence during 1984.

Just depends what side of the argument you are on.

JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
        Lol..apparently these numpties sprayed racist on Gandhi's statue ...

As one ex member was fond of saying..you couldn't make it up.

Garf
        Hi Garf
        Why do you keep using that one liner,,,,no one gives a s*** what that banned member had to say.
        JC

Comment

Hi jc
          I thought it was internet protocol to credit the originator...

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool

Hi John
            The world is talking about a massive movement for change talking place,and yes there may be some hurt along the way,for some change has always had to be fought for,,,and some forces will fight against it.

But to try to compare it to knocking the head of a garden gnome tells me you don't really get what's happening here.

Btw,,,tell me,did you cheer when the Americans toppled the statue of Saddam Hussain,,I did,,,but didn't they break Iraqi law in doing so?

Did you cheer when statues of Stalin was pulled down against East German laws,,I did,,but didn't they break the law?

JC
            As I am sure you well know my post is about violence, arson and rioting on the streets in our country and that is what my reply's are about.

Does anyone think assaulting police officers trying to do their duty will do anything other than harden individual officers attitudes to certain sections of the community? Does anyone seriously think the rioting and violence in London and Bristol will do anything at all to change matters in the USA? I am sure there were many peaceful people there who sincerely believed in the "cause", a goodly number with big chips on their shoulders and the usual anarchists and fellow travellers who went along to cause trouble, succeeded and damaged the "cause". Those who have been in self isolation for months, and in particular the most at risk elderly, cannot understand the selfishness of those attending the demonstrations and potentially spreading the virus.

On past experience the "massive movement for change taking place" you refer to will soon be off the headlines as the media moves on. There will be "hand-wringing" by the "great and good" and some cash will be splashed to ease conscience's.

The vast majority of decent ordinary folk that might have been sympathetic to the demonstration are disgusted at the violence and rioting and the "cause" loses. At the end of the day you have to carry the people with you and that cannot be done with violence and lawbreaking in a democratic country such as ours.

Comment

Google maps updates quickly

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                Hi John
                And the PeterLoo Masacre was acceptable?

Churchill turning the troops onto striking Welsh miners was acceptable.?

History is littered with what some would find unacceptable,just depends what side you are on.

I bet a few on here found it quite acceptable when the Met police in their hundreds trampled anyone in their way,smashing heads in gratuitous violence during 1984.

Just depends what side of the argument you are on.

JC
                The side of the argument I am on is the side of law and order in a democratic country where the laws are introduced by governments elected by the people. Full Stop.

As a matter of interest I lived for nearly 20 years in countries where democracy as we understand it is not practised. Dissenters are quickly "dealt with". In Arabia it was said they just take them out over the Empty Quarter and tip them out of the back of the plane. The body soon disappears into the shifting sands, gone forever. True or not, I don't know. Similar ways of dealing with dissenters are no doubt still being practised throughout the world today.

A little factual illustration. I was living in Saudi Arabia in 1979 when armed civilians calling for the overthrow of the ruling House of Saud took over the Grand Mosque in Mecca. The siege ended 2 weeks later. Many of the "rebels" were beheaded in public executions. Some were sent back to their villages minus an arm or a leg to live out the rest of their days to serve as a living reminders, pour encourager les autres' ('in order to encourage the others"). It focuses the mind when stopped at the gates of the office compound by young, fit and highly trained National Guards with Kalashnikov type rifles poking at you through the vehicle window instead of the pre-siege situation of being simply waved through by the relaxed company security staff.

The freedom of association and freedom of speech we enjoy in a democratic country are privileges that should be cherished and not be abused, no matter what the morality of the "cause" in some peoples eyes. The ballot box is the way to change things, not violence and law breaking.

I rest my case.

Comment

Hi John
                  My case was rested this morning when Amar removed x2 of my post from this thread (you quote one of them),one in reply to Lucy and one in reply to you,and warned me by way of quoting forum rules of my future behavior.

If I was any way disrespectful to either of you I apologise,,,personal I though it was just our usual banter.

I have always respected the mods wishes,,,and to achieve their wishes for me to moderate my language,,,I think it may be prudent to stop replying to political threads for a while.

Bye!!
                  image.png
                  JC

Comment

Did not see anything to warrant post removal on here, Will be a lot less entertaining without you and John sparring

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
                      Did not see anything to warrant post removal on here, Will be a lot less entertaining without you and John sparring
                      Hi andyn
                      Don't do yourself down...😉

Garf

Comment

https://t.co/Tgz6AKCJ5j

Annie

Comment

BBC have it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52977088

Garf

Comment

Thanks Garf

It won't be the last statue to be removed:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-slavery-links

Annie

Comment

Hi Annie
                              It's better for them to be removed responsibly and taken to a museum where they can be saved and used to educate the next generations of the good and bad of previous generations.

There will be open warfare on the streets of London this weekend when Tommy Robjnson and his crew along with many fans from various football clubs are going to protect statues.

As I said before the only Winners will be the far right...not just here but around the world.

Garf.

Comment

Hi Annie
                                It's better for them to be removed responsibly and taken to a museum where they can be saved and used to educate the next generations of the good and bad of previous generations.

There will be open warfare on the streets of London this weekend when Tommy Robjnson and his crew along with many fans from various football clubs are going to protect statues.

As I said before the only Winners will be the far right...not just here but around the world.

Garf.
                                Hi Garf

I did post a while back that these statues should be taken down quietly. Better late than never.

Interesting city to visit for statues/memorials is Berlin. One of the most visited is the Holocaust memorial.

I hope Londoners behave themselves this weekend and follow the Covid 19 guidelines.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X