• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I seen the light?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Have I seen the light?

    The Dom Cummings "situation" has been known about for weeks, yet now, all of a sudden, an orchestrated move by the Guardian and the Daily Mirror has pushed it right to the top of the agenda.

    We are coming up to a major milestone on Brexit. Both sides are due to decide by the end of June whether the current deadline for negotiating an agreement should be extended beyond the end of December 2020. Both the Guardian and the Mirror strongly supported "Remain".

    Is the Dom Cummings "situation" an attempt to weaken the Government, to get it to take it's eye off the ball and then it's resolve on Brexit? There are already suggestions in some quarters that the "transition period" should be extended beyond the end of the year. Perhaps for ever and ever?

    We shall soon know if the most ardent Remoaners, Blair, Major, Letwin, Grieve, Gauke, Hesseltine, Rudd and Uncle Tom Cobley and All poke their heads above the parapet in the coming weeks!

    Have I seen the light or am I adding 2 and 2 and getting 5?

    #2
    Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle
    The latter, I think.

    Not everything is about Brexit. Time to get over it and move on.
    We are in complete agreement on that but . . .

    Comment


      #3
      Friday Evening of a BH weekend?

      MY suspicion is they want people to break out of lockdown.

      a distraction, lockdown was a waste of time where test and trace would have done the job and saved the care homes.
      a target for any increase in numbers, its the people fault.




      Comment


        #4
        Never been a major fan of this guy Dom Cummings, but if he is the right man to advise Boris then let him get on with it.

        Now who is going to be the first on this forum to admit that they have never infringed on this lockdown in the slightest.

        Let that be me then.

        Of course there are many on here that will be shielding, and 'God Bless Them', I hope they are OK, but I am pretty sure that a lot have in some way infringed on this lockdown.

        I do know of one pub which has dramatically increased it's takings since the start of the lockdown and will probably stay at that level after lockdown due to it's consideration. A bit sly on the way it was done, but someone thinking outside the box.

        I have kept pretty much isolated apart from supermarket trips but on at least two occasions my daughter has visited me to make sure I'm OK. My wife is working 200 miles from home and I have visited on one occasion. Never in contact with anyone else.

        Anyone else like to confess their sins?

        Comment


          #5
          I'm intrigued as to how you definitively know the news about Cummings has been known for ages.Whats your source?It may have been,but I don't see any evidence I thought that was important?
          One of the journalists involved in the story was on Andrew Marr and stated they took time to check their sources before releasing the story?.Isn't that responsible journalism?
          As for distractions,it's interesting to note that the next round of restriction lifting were announced yesterday, when last time it was at the end of the 3 week review period.Coincidence that it was the same day as Cummings appearance?I think not.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by echo, derby View Post
            Never been a major fan of this guy Dom Cummings, but if he is the right man to advise Boris then let him get on with it.

            Now who is going to be the first on this forum to admit that they have never infringed on this lockdown in the slightest.

            Let that be me then.

            ....
            We took the pragmatic approach, avoid people when out,

            Essential shopping was anything we fancied from whatever shops had it, to get out more we still did lots of little shops later in the day when quieter(also to catch the bargains) rather than one big shop less often.

            For encounters "Essential" is being dropped over the next 3 weeks, from the 1st June outside and from the 15 June inside that opens up the potential for a lot more than has been hinted at.

            Reality is if you maintain distancing and hygiene techniques you retain your household bubble as you go about your daily life.

            Should be up to you to decide which of those other households you want to get near, random strangers on a walk, multiple households workers in a shop, friend, family...

            if near another household(in their bubble), be it your garden(if you have one big enough) or a public place you can retain safety levels.

            The media leaks seem to suggest socialising may be extended beyond 1 other outside, probably with a count which for small households could be big enough for more than 2 households to socialise.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

              We took the pragmatic approach, avoid people when out,

              Essential shopping was anything we fancied from whatever shops had it, to get out more we still did lots of little shops later in the day when quieter(also to catch the bargains) rather than one big shop less often.

              For encounters "Essential" is being dropped over the next 3 weeks, from the 1st June outside and from the 15 June inside that opens up the potential for a lot more than has been hinted at.

              Reality is if you maintain distancing and hygiene techniques you retain your household bubble as you go about your daily life.

              Should be up to you to decide which of those other households you want to get near, random strangers on a walk, multiple households workers in a shop, friend, family...

              if near another household(in their bubble), be it your garden(if you have one big enough) or a public place you can retain safety levels.

              The media leaks seem to suggest socialising may be extended beyond 1 other outside, probably with a count which for small households could be big enough for more than 2 households to socialise.
              Pretty much the same as me. I haven't stuck to the single walk etc each day, but I can guarantee I've maintained distancing, hand washing etc. I have to exercise my elderly dog who can't manage more than 20 minutes at a time, so we've had a couple of walks and I had a bike ride every day, all in near deserted locations. This is not in accordance with the initial instructions, but is compliant with the regulations put in place. I have bumped into friends sometimes while I've been out, and stood chatting at the required distance for a few minutes, so no harm there. Shopping has been necessary since no deliveries available. I know nothing about Dom Cummings, and don't give a hoot about his comings and goings. Looking forward to shops opening but only because our club professional can open his shop and fit me for some new clubs. Might as well spend the holiday fund somehow. I won't be going into the city shopping. I rarely did that anyway.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                I'm intrigued as to how you definitively know the news about Cummings has been known for ages.Whats your source?It may have been,but I don't see any evidence I thought that was important.
                I don't "definitively" know anything about anything. Same as everyone else.

                As the alleged events happened about 8 weeks ago it seems to me that they must have been known about, about 8 weeks ago. Simple really. Couldn't have been known about before, could they?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                  I don't "definitively" know anything about anything. Same as everyone else.

                  As the alleged events happened about 8 weeks ago it seems to me that they must have been known about, about 8 weeks ago. Simple really. Couldn't have been known about before, could they?
                  It's unlikely to come out immediately though is it ?Sometimes it does with photo or video evidence but that wasn't the case.So,not so simple.It could have been sat on,but as you suggest we have no way of being sure either way.So you can't say it's been known for weeks for certain,other than by people who chose not to reveal it,and I'm not talking about journalists.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                    Looking forward to shops opening but only because our club professional can open his shop and fit me for some new clubs. Might as well spend the holiday fund somehow. I won't be going into the city shopping. I rarely did that anyway.
                    Ah Peter, the golfers never ending quest for some "better" golf clubs. The thing that keeps the pro's shop in business.

                    Many years ago I used to play golf in Oman off AstroTurf pads on gravel fairways with oiled sand browns. We had the opportunity of getting Ping clubs at USA trade prices brought in through a major oil services contractor. We all measured and the order was put in. Mine arrived along with everyone else's.

                    After a few weeks I was dismayed to find I played no better. I concluded either mine were faulty or I was still "rubbish". A friend, same height etc., tried them and said he could find nothing wrong with them. So, sadly, I concluded I was still "rubbish".

                    I hope you have a better experience.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

                      It's unlikely to come out immediately though is it ?Sometimes it does with photo or video evidence but that wasn't the case.So,not so simple.It could have been sat on,but as you suggest we have no way of being sure either way.So you can't say it's been known for weeks for certain,other than by people who chose not to reveal it,and I'm not talking about journalists.
                      By "they" I didn't mean the particular journalists who finally broke the story but "they" who allegedly saw things weeks ago and could see a possible opportunity to make mischief.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                        Ah Peter, the golfers never ending quest for some "better" golf clubs. The thing that keeps the pro's shop in business.

                        Many years ago I used to play golf in Oman off AstroTurf pads on gravel fairways with oiled sand browns. We had the opportunity of getting Ping clubs at USA trade prices brought in through a major oil services contractor. We all measured and the order was put in. Mine arrived along with everyone else's.

                        After a few weeks I was dismayed to find I played no better. I concluded either mine were faulty or I was still "rubbish". A friend, same height etc., tried them and said he could find nothing wrong with them. So, sadly, I concluded I was still "rubbish".

                        I hope you have a better experience.
                        I was talking to our Pro many years ago and asked why ladies clubs were more expensive - he said 'to make money!'

                        He said most ladies can use men's clubs as it is all about where the hands lie. Puzzled he explained. We stood shoulder to shoulder and I was surprised to find that our hands were about the same height despite him being at least 4 inches taller. Seems that unless you are overly tall or short then regular clubs will suffice.

                        PS my wife (thankfully) has never been a golfer (only room in this household for one disappointed sports person)..

                        Bill


                        Lawnmowerman

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                          Ah Peter, the golfers never ending quest for some "better" golf clubs. The thing that keeps the pro's shop in business.

                          Many years ago I used to play golf in Oman off AstroTurf pads on gravel fairways with oiled sand browns. We had the opportunity of getting Ping clubs at USA trade prices brought in through a major oil services contractor. We all measured and the order was put in. Mine arrived along with everyone else's.

                          After a few weeks I was dismayed to find I played no better. I concluded either mine were faulty or I was still "rubbish". A friend, same height etc., tried them and said he could find nothing wrong with them. So, sadly, I concluded I was still "rubbish".

                          I hope you have a better experience.
                          Still the same idiot holding the sticks, but I've had my present irons about 8 years so I'm not too extravagant.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

                            I was talking to our Pro many years ago and asked why ladies clubs were more expensive - he said 'to make money!'

                            He said most ladies can use men's clubs as it is all about where the hands lie. Puzzled he explained. We stood shoulder to shoulder and I was surprised to find that our hands were about the same height despite him being at least 4 inches taller. Seems that unless you are overly tall or short then regular clubs will suffice.

                            PS my wife (thankfully) has never been a golfer (only room in this household for one disappointed sports person)..

                            Bill
                            Hopefully your disappointment will end soon. Only difference between men's and ladies is that ladies clubs tend to have lighter, more flexible shafts to counteract ladies' slower swing speed. That said, we had a young lady assistant pro. 7 stone wringing wet, and she could hit the ball a mile.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

                              Hopefully your disappointment will end soon. Only difference between men's and ladies is that ladies clubs tend to have lighter, more flexible shafts to counteract ladies' slower swing speed. That said, we had a young lady assistant pro. 7 stone wringing wet, and she could hit the ball a mile.
                              Yup, isn't life unfair - to paraphrase Bill Shankly - 'it's not a matter of life & death - it's more important than that!'

                              Bill


                              Lawnmowerman

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X