• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

London Congestion Charge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Congestion Charge

What do we think of this decision by Mayor Sadiq Khan

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...ilout-11988726

I dont think its either fair, justified, or appropriate at this time smacks of political opportunism to me

John

It has npothing to do with Sadiq Khan. It is part of the bail out deal.

Does seem strange that after asking everyone to go back to work, do not use public transport, use your cars, then reintroduce the congestion charge.and next month increase it

They are also increasing fares and removing the Freedom Pass. Also as part of the government deal, children will no longer have free travel across London and restrictions on passes for disabled an over 60s will also be imposed during peak hours
    Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 15th May 2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

The congestion charge is a tiny bit of central London.

I could not take my diesel car into the zone at any time without paying.
      Last edited by Topdeck, London; 15th May 2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Corrected my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
          Corrected my post.
          Hi TD
          Well done.
          Just waiting for the OP to correct his now,,,,must be out on the golf course!!!

JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Corrected my post.
            Yes, I noticed

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
              Hi TD
              Well done.

JC
              Some of it is correct..............it does smack of political opportunism

Comment

Hi Andy.
                Wait until they announce the scrapping of the triple lock on Pensions (to save the economy),,,the Silver Surfers will be outraged.

As reported in the Torygraph,,,the Tory Party house journal,,,,they get the leaks first.

JC

Comment

The way things are going there is going to be a significant reduction in demand on the state pension pot.

Comment

The way things are going there is going to be a significant reduction in demand on the state pension pot.
                    Hi TD
                    I heard that argument on a lunchtime local radio phone in,,,,,,for not doing away with the Triple Lock.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                      Hi TD
                      Well done.

JC
                      Dont hold your breath JC, we might agree on some issues, not this one

John

Comment

With such a huge potential market it amazes me that Transport for London makes such enormous losses. Approaching £££’s Billion a year.

How can this be? Fares too low? Too many little used routes? Too many staff on too high salaries?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                          With such a huge potential market it amazes me that Transport for London makes such enormous losses. Approaching £££’s Billion a year.

How can this be? Fares too low? Too many little used routes? Too many staff on too high salaries?
                          I think all transport authorities make a loss. They have to provide unprofitable services. TFL used to receive a grant of £700m but that was stopped in 2019, it is now one of only a few transport authorities that does not recieve state support.
                          The losses will be due to declining numbers, people are no longer using the services, online shopping, Uber, etc. Yet they still need to provide the links for those that do, and need to, still use public transport..
                          And yes, the fares are probably to low.
                          Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 16th May 2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

The fares were frozen in May 2016 when he took office, that in itself is a significant chunk of the problem.

Comment

Fare evasion is a significant factor and not only for Transport for London. I can almost guarantee that tickets will not be checked on the train company that I use and that all but the largest stations are (wide) open. On the rare occasion that tickets are checked those without any are merely requested to pay for their stated journey with no further fine let alone prosecution.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X