• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Time to wake up and smell the coffee?

    The Royal Mint is issuing a new 50p coin to mark our departure from the EU, as was done when we joined and after 25 years of membership.

    A number of prominent Remoaners including Alistair Campbell and Lord Adonis are up in arms about this and are threatening to refuse to accept them in their change and to do all sorts of unmentionable things with them. See https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...ndation-widget

    Saturday is the first day of a new beginning, "for better for worse, for richer for poorer" as the marriage vows go.

    Time to wake up and smell the coffee?

    #2
    It’s a coin of the realm. They should get over themselves. Fuss about nothing.

    Comment


      #3
      Brexiteer ot remoaner- the message on the coin says Peace Prosperity and Friendship with all Nations. Isn't that a very positive message?
      Jill

      Comment


        #4
        A non issue [pardon the pun].
        What's done is done and if folk want to boycott a coin, let them. Highlighting any such action has the potential of making it into an issue which in turn, has the ability to give rise to unpleasantness again.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
          Brexiteer ot remoaner- the message on the coin says Peace Prosperity and Friendship with all Nations. Isn't that a very positive message?
          It's a lovely message

          Although I won't be using mine, it will go in my collection of unusual 50p's .................................................. ..Carol

          Comment


            #6
            Any they don’t want they can send to me.👍🤗🤣😎
            Delboy


            Photo Albums

            https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

            or

            https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
              Brexiteer ot remoaner- the message on the coin says Peace Prosperity and Friendship with all Nations. Isn't that a very positive message?
              My thoughts exactly

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                Brexiteer ot remoaner- the message on the coin says Peace Prosperity and Friendship with all Nations. Isn't that a very positive message?
                Maybe its to let the world know we will be needing some new friends so we can prosper under a new trade deal.?

                Comment


                  #9
                  I am the first to admit that I was a remainer, it’s done and dusted and these childish actions just confirm how far removed from normal life these self opinionated political elite have become, it’s no wonder the public turned against them in a December.

                  John

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The proof of the pudding .............. Hope you all have your indigestion tablets handy as with Boris in the glory seat you may need them

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I wouldn't boycott them.
                      However, which is more childiish,refusing to acceot one or ploughing ahead with producing a coin for October 31st knowing that the date was very unlikely to be achieved,costing millions of pounds?
                      The Treasury has refused to admit how many were minted and the total cost saying the details are "commercially sensitive".
                      I bet they are.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                        I wouldn't boycott them.
                        However, which is more childiish,refusing to acceot one or ploughing ahead with producing a coin for October 31st knowing that the date was very unlikely to be achieved,costing millions of pounds?
                        The Treasury has refused to admit how many were minted and the total cost saying the details are "commercially sensitive".
                        I bet they are.
                        It was the "zombie" Parliament, against everything and for nothing, which caused the October ones to be scrapped, not the Government. Now, with a strong Conservative government, that famous phrase of Shakespeare's "hoist with his own petard" comes to mind.

                        Clearly the cost of a 50 pence coin is less than 50 pence!

                        The Royal Mint can produce 30,000 coins an hour or 720,000 coins a day from a single press. The 3,000,000 which are to be issued this week would take less than a week to make.

                        They are in fact little more than penny washers without the hole but in a more expensive metal - cupronickel. With almost zero labour time I would think they would cost 2 or 3 pence or less to make. So 3,000,000 at 3 pence each would cost about £90,000 to make. Assume I am out by a factor of 2 the cost would be less than £200,000. A tidy figure but not significant in the grand scheme of things and certainly not £'s millions.

                        PS The Treasury and the Royal Mint never release commercial sensitive production cost information. There are numerous mints around the world that would love to know such information.
                        Last edited by JohnR, Chippenham; 28th January 2020, 03:52 PM. Reason: PS Added

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                          Any they don’t want they can send to me.👍🤗🤣😎
                          My thought too. I refuse nothing but blows. 😂😂
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Saturday is the first day of a new beginning, "for better for worse, for richer for poorer" as the marriage vows go.

                            Time to wake up and smell the coffee?
                            Hi John
                            I think you have that quote the wrong way around,,,,,its a divorce not a marriage,,,,,and some people know how much they cost.

                            As for the wake up and smell the coffee.
                            I and my mates do just that every morning,,,,,,,
                            Gtlv3DWudxTfEbllL1Y6ebYdEy9F5a-msu_QERVSgbp0VJURtAVuBdZz8PjjIUQyc83pz-0HeWC7ThJEY3wrJxQl3t-VUzEVl5d3ybOJLNwklC1VI4SHKtMAxWoy-ZtnqKtHDnIDmjtmHRYhDMu7Ia4SjQ5ImBYmERAiObHz5Y4w3ZgcV8GRyc6GwBigvcKfGn_ninE33CM2xBzm2MZA_CfqiSHkNNcrqgHuDnuQ8D6XzdivwN3nm7HRq03xVFo
                            As for the 50p coin,we are going to accept it,but we agreed to save every coin we get for a month in the change from the coffee shop in a kitty and donate it to a local homeless charity and food bank.
                            The are the people who will suffer from the divorce.
                            JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                              It was the "zombie" Parliament, against everything and for nothing, which caused the October ones to be scrapped, not the Government. Now, with a strong Conservative government, that famous phrase of Shakespeare's "hoist with his own petard" comes to mind.

                              Clearly the cost of a 50 pence coin is less than 50 pence!

                              The Royal Mint can produce 30,000 coins an hour or 720,000 coins a day from a single press. The 3,000,000 which are to be issued this week would take less than a week to make.

                              They are in fact little more than penny washers without the hole but in a more expensive metal - cupronickel. With almost zero labour time I would think they would cost 2 or 3 pence or less to make. So 3,000,000 at 3 pence each would cost about £90,000 to make. Assume I am out by a factor of 2 the cost would be less than £200,000. A tidy figure but not significant in the grand scheme of things and certainly not £'s millions.

                              PS The Treasury and the Royal Mint never release commercial sensitive production cost information. There are numerous mints around the world that would love to know such information.
                              Guesstimates at costs as you admit,I'm pretty sure undersestimate design costs etc (obviously now reused to some extent,date changes etc.).
                              You don't have to reveal the cost but the Treasury refuses to say how many were minted.Why?I think we all know the answer to that.
                              It was the Conservative party that voted the October AND March deal down every bit as much as the opposition responsibility should be taken for that.
                              Strong Conservative government?
                              Haven't we heard that phrase somewhere before?

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X