• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember this....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    Without detracting from a single one of the posts on this thread, as a Monty Python fan, I am reminded of one of their most memorable sketches!
    Snap! " Call that hard? I remember getting up at 4 int morning before I'd gone to bed and then worked a 28 hour day etc.etc." Hilarious!

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

What a great post, it's brought back lots of happy memories, even though we had very little we were happy.
      If you've ever been to Beamish Museum & seen the miners' cottages ours were similar just a bit bigger as we had an NCB house. Outside netty as they were called & coal house behind the air raid shelter. I was teriified going out there at night. Tin bath hanging in the yard, coal range with oven & boiler for hot water, the kettle was always on the hob my Mam loved a cup of tea. No washing machine but a poss tub & posser used with Dolly Blue to get the sheets white. Clothes hanging out to dry across the front street, nobody had a car, the fish woman, the Co-op van, the ice cream cart, the rag & bone man, the coal wagon & dustbin men all came down the back street.

We didn't go on holiday we lived beside the sea so went to the beach a lot & sometimes on coach trips with my Nanna & Granddad to Whitley Bay, Seaton Carew, Seaburn & York. We played out from morning until it was dark winter & summer & were happy as Larry whoever he was. As mentioned earlier nobody had much in the way of belongings so doors were never locked. Nobody felt deprived and we were always grateful for anything we got. Not sure young people feel like that now, they always seem to want the latest model of everything & wonder how we ever managed without telly & phones. You wonder if things got really bad how on earth they would cope.

How things have changed, many for the better, some for the worse but I think people of our generation have lived through wonderful times & I for one am grateful for that. Hard to believe how much things have changed in our lifetime. Not sure I'd like to be young now, they have more material things but they don't have the wonder of all those changes nor freedom we had.
      Last edited by Fred Bloggs, Tyne and Wear; 19th January 2020, 07:57 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Love that bairn playing with the pram in her dad's shoes. We always did that & so did my daughter!

Comment

Oh yes, we lived in a mid terrace "pit house! in a mining village. Everyone knew everyone elses business.
          Outside "netty" and the coalhouse was bigger than the smallest box room. I have always blamed my fear of creepy crawlies on those gigantic ones in the toilet. Massive rooms downstairs and no bathroom, The bath was in the "scullery" (kitchen) under a massive wooden hinged bench. We also had a tin bath that we used in the wintes as we could get bathed in front of the fire.
          The fire was a massive range kind that mam used to blacken up with some vile smelling stuff. I remember coming downstairs on winter mornings freezing and Mam had our underwear in the ranges oven to warm us up.
          I couldnt do with the cold now but I have nothing but happy memories of them times. jan.

Comment

I remember the outside lavs, newspapers squares ect, I remember my granny pulling the chains to turn off the gas lighting , and buying new gas mantles they so fragile and always on our shopping list ,before turning off the gas we had to light the candle in the candlestick to light us up the stairs to bed.No reading in bed in those days.

My brother and I used to take the accumulator for the wireless down on a go-cart to be charged? and pick up the other one. We shopped for Christmas poultry on Christmas eve and used brown paper carriers bags remember them? and yes we also had bread and sugar and bread and brown sauce sandwiches. CG
            Last edited by cornish girl, falmouth; 21st January 2020, 10:45 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
              We had an inside lavatory, but no central heating. I remember ice in the inside of the windows and getting dressed in front of the coal fire in the living room. Before I started school, my mum put me on the bus to my gran who met me at the stop. The conductor made sure I was OK and knew where to get off. I don’t think you could do that now, social services would not like it.
              And how about bathing in a"tin bath" by the living room fire, because the living room was much warmer than the bathroom.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X