• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorable Music.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorable Music.

https://youtu.be/Jm1anurhbeg

Just listened to "Guantanamera " Sung by the Sandpiper's (Hope the link works)
    This was popular when we had our first holiday abroad ,14 day in Majorca with our friends Mike and Sue.
    First ever flight early Twenties world at out feet ,Hotel was rubbish with dreadful food ,and we were restricted to how much money we could take with us,(V form ) Cheap drinks with generous measures plenty of sun.

Another would be "Who Let the Dog's out" which was popular on our first Caribbean cruise, nice music which brings back memories,Have you any holiday music favourite's ...Taffy
    ​Taffy

Angels by Robbie Williams. I love the song anyway and last birthday(December 18, since you ask!). On board Seabourn Odyssey, one of the male singers asked my husband what he could do for my birthday. He said the band did not do Angels, but he had a backing tape. It was the best version of Angels ever! Now when I hear the song I think of Jon and the wonderful Christmas cruise.

Comment

Music is a major part of my life and I get major goosebumps when I hear so many pieces, usually classical and often Baroque, but also what are often termed ''nationalistic'' like our national anthem when I watch world sporting events and we win and our flag gets hoisted.

Certain hymns such as ''We plough the fields...'' and '''Away in a Manger'' also touch a chord; stirring organ music [eg Blaenwern and Saint Saens organ symphony; Handel's choral music; children singing...

goosebumps are us!!!

Comment

Absolutely love music. On our first cruise on the Cunard Countess (Caribbean) the song they played a lot on the ship was Hot Hot Hot. Another holiday in Hong Kong we were on the Star Ferry doing an evening cruise and it was very humid and hot. The song they played a few times was George Michael Last Christmas very appropriate.

Comment

Music in certain locations can make great memories, to my mind. Many years ago on a lovely warm evening watching the fabulous fountains outside the Bellagio, Las Vegas and listening to the accompanying music.

This piece of music was also played to us from the quayside as we departed Olden aboard the Britannia one pleasant summers evening.

"Time to Say Goodbye"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=afwvM9ywn-c

Comment

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" by John Denver always brings back sad memories of working abroad when my wife couldn't accompany me.

I completed my my contract and vowed never to go unaccompanied again. We then spent nearly 20 happy and exciting years abroad together in the Middle East, the Far East and Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
              Certain hymns such as ''We plough the fields...'' and '''Away in a Manger'' also touch a chord; stirring organ music [eg Blaenwern and Saint Saens organ symphony; Handel's choral music; children singing...

goosebumps are us!!!
              Blaenwern, Hyfrydol, Cwm Rhondda, any thing sung by a Welsh male voice choir brings tears to my eyes.

On a lighter note, on one of our early Caribbean holidays, Lady in Red was very popular and it has been 'our song' ever since.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                https://youtu.be/Jm1anurhbeg

Just listened to "Guantanamera " Sung by the Sandpiper's (Hope the link works)
                This was popular when we had our first holiday abroad ,14 day in Majorca with our friends Mike and Sue.
                First ever flight early Twenties world at out feet ,Hotel was rubbish with dreadful food ,and we were restricted to how much money we could take with us,(V form ) Cheap drinks with generous measures plenty of sun.

Another would be "Who Let the Dog's out" which was popular on our first Caribbean cruise, nice music which brings back memories,Have you any holiday music favourite's ...Taffy
                Hi Taffy

Cannot say I have any holiday music favourite's but I do enjoy watching various landscape photography Vlogs on you tube, some of whom add music to their Vlogs.

One of my favourites at the moment for his music content as well as his photography skills is a photographer named Jason Jones who lives in Wales. Below is a link to his latest Vlog taken on the Isle of Anglesey, not sure of the name of the music which accompanys it. I watch and listen via my iPad and a pair of Bose headphones which helps with the sound quality, I find them a very relaxing way of spending 15 minutes.
                If you do watch the video the Ariel shots are taken with a drone.

Apologise for his comment at beginning of his Vlog.

https://youtu.be/7V8mHLl8shI
                Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 25th November 2017, 10:38 PM.
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Majorca, first foreign holiday aged 18 with two mates - no parents!

The Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin was never off the jukebox when we went to the pool - oh! I think it was us who kept playing it - oops! And we found the hidden volume control - happy days.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                    Music in certain locations can make great memories, to my mind. Many years ago on a lovely warm evening watching the fabulous fountains outside the Bellagio, Las Vegas and listening to the accompanying music.

This piece of music was also played to us from the quayside as we departed Olden aboard the Britannia one pleasant summers evening.

"Time to Say Goodbye"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=afwvM9ywn-c
                    Lovely Video thanks for sharing it ,I enjoyed it...Taffy
                    ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                      Angels by Robbie Williams. I love the song anyway and last birthday(December 18, since you ask!). On board Seabourn Odyssey, one of the male singers asked my husband what he could do for my birthday. He said the band did not do Angels, but he had a backing tape. It was the best version of Angels ever! Now when I hear the song I think of Jon and the wonderful Christmas cruise.
                      What a nice thing the singer did for you.
                      My Father in law told me Harry Secombe did the same thing for a man in a theatre , it was the mans favourite song ,and Harry came on after the show and sang just for him, and all those who stayed behind ...Taffy
                      ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                        What a nice thing the singer did for you.
                        My Father in law told me Harry Secombe did the same thing for a man in a theatre , it was the mans favourite song ,and Harry came on after the show and sang just for him, and all those who stayed behind ...Taffy
                        That was a lovely thing to do. Good for Harry.

Comment

During a lengthy spell in hospital their radio station played I Want to Break Free by Queen. They must have played it ten times a day, but as a Freddie Fan I loved it! I don't like tribute bands but love any genre of music. I particularly love the skirl of the bagpipes and was listening to Mull of Kintyre today played by pipes and drums. Lovely.

Comment

All kinds of music often brings me to tears for all the right reasons.

The Last night of the Proms when they play the usual rousing audience participation pieces brings a lump to my throat when I am singing along.

My Dad played the piano so anything I hear that he played (usually numbers from the 40s & 50s) would make me feel emotional.

When we disembarked from our APT river cruise yesterday, the Cruise Director played a recording of 'Time to Say Goodbye', which was obviously a sad moment.

A lot of the music we sang at the Rock Choir I belonged to brings back fond memories.
                            Jill

Comment

I use the TV more for listening to music than for TV programmes, constantly switching between Classic FM and radio 3.
                              Many years ago, as a young teacher, I was in a women's choir, and one piece we sang at several festivals would always earn us top marks. It was The Blue Bird, by Charles Stanford. I've not heard it since... until for some reason it's become a popular song on both radio stations.
                              I have to stop whatever I'm doing, and I'm back in those festival competitions, along with other fresh faced young women just starting out in life. Most of them are grandmothers now, and several have died. Poignant.
                              Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X