• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy 50th Birthday Radio 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy 50th Birthday Radio 1

Hi All

Radio 1 is 50 today.

Do you remember the 1st day?

Annie

I was only a little kid at the time and listened to Radio 1 in my teenage years as I thought Radio 2 was for "old" people. Well here I am now a devotee, Listen to it all day at work. I love going back in time hearing songs that remind me of my youth, Happy days. Where have the years gone? Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
      Hi All

Radio 1 is 50 today.

Do you remember the 1st day?

Annie
      I remember it well and Flowers in the Rain by one of my favourite groups, The Move was first play of the station............Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
        I remember it well and Flowers in the Rain by one of my favourite groups, The Move was first play of the station............Wilba
        First record I ever heard on Radio 1 was ''Let's go to San Francisco''. The new station made the car journey to school bearable!!!

I've just had a look at the playlist [the first programme will be re-created again tomorrow morning, Radio 2 at 6.55am] and have just seen ''Excerpt from a Teenage Opera''.
        I LOVED that record!!!!!

edit
        I think the actual birthday is tomorrow.
        Last edited by Mrs M; 29th September 2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I do remember when Radio 1 started and used to listen on my transistor radio. Mum and Dad also used to listen to it in those days.

I also remember that Tony Blackburn was always in the papers and would get 'papped' by photographers all over the place. We used to go to the road shows when they were local and had a great time. The last time was 1992 and we took our own kids. Take That had just started and they were on much to the joy of our almost teenage daughter.

As I have mentioned before, I still listen to Radio One and this last month has been especially great with all the memories from the last 50 years. I also love the Live Lounge
          BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

I used to listen to Radio one when it first started on the car radio as I was driving to and from work.

It's probably been at least 25 years since I last listened to Radio one on a regular basis as Terry Wogan became my favourite on Radio two and I became a TOG, these days I very rarely listen to the radio and when I do it's still Radio two.
            Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 29th September 2017, 05:22 PM.
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I remember it well as I worked at Broadcasting House at the time, in the Communications department, and used to see all the DJs in the staff canteen every day!!!

Comment

I remember the beginning of Radio 1 very well. I used to listen a lot.

I sent a postcard off in 1968 asking for a request, and it was played. I can't remember the track that was played, but my schoolfriends were impressed.

Tony Blackburn had a TV series, and there was a call for people to go to Southampton Common to take part in the opening titles. I went over there with hundreds of other teenagers and we had to chase Tony across the Common!
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
                  I remember the beginning of Radio 1 very well. I used to listen a lot.

I sent a postcard off in 1968 asking for a request, and it was played. I can't remember the track that was played, but my schoolfriends were impressed.

Tony Blackburn had a TV series, and there was a call for people to go to Southampton Common to take part in the opening titles. I went over there with hundreds of other teenagers and we had to chase Tony across the Common!
                  Fantastic !! chasing Tony Blackburn over Southampton Common
                  BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                    They just played that on R2 celebrating the R1 start up.
                    Never liked it that much and can never remember having it on .
                    When I worked the lads had radio wars each day some playing R1 other preferring local station's drove me mad, you could not hear your self think.
                    One night we took the leads of the radios and hid them ,the poor loves were traumatised....Taffy
                    ​Taffy

Comment

Instead of Radio I tend to listen to my own playlists on Spotify.

Although for the last couple of days I have been listening to a "personalised" playlist produced by Spotify, as they say packed with iconic tracks to take you back in time. Enjoy 2 hours of the most memorable tracks from your teenage years"

Spotify I access via my phone or iPad and a good set of head phones.
                      Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 30th September 2017, 09:33 AM.
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                        Instead of Radio I tend to listen to my own playlists on Spotify.

Although for the last couple of days I have been listening to a "personalised" playlist produced by Spotify, as they say packed with iconic tracks to take you back in time. Enjoy 2 hours of the most memorable tracks from your teenage years"

Spotify I access via my phone or iPad and a good set of head phones.
                        It is amazing how we listen to music has changed over the years? Old crackly radio and a wind up gramophone ? then decent portable radio's with less crackle and music centres and Hi-Fi separates . CD's replaced vinyl and we have digital radio ,and now streaming.
                        Yet Yesterday I went into a HMV shop and saw they had a large display of LP's Vinyl is making a comeback??
                        When CD's first came out they were dearer than Vinyl no it's the other way round £10 for a CD £ 25 plus for Vinyl .
                        I have found over the years listening on a decent system gives you a better sound stage ,whichever type of source you chose...Taffy
                        ​Taffy

Comment

My birthday in a few weeks time will begin with a 7 for the first time (OK the second, if we're being pedantic) so the 60s were very much 'my' era. At the time the BBC's attitude to the pirate stations was that they should be shut down but at the same time they were canvassing the opinions that led to Radio 1. My father and I were stopped in the street by someone conducting a survey for the Beeb and asked what radio we listened to. We both said we listened to the pirate stations - my father had no more interest in the Light Programme's Victor Sylvester, Mantovani, and Max Jaffa than I did. I like to think that in our own small way we helped to get Radio 1 going.
                          Logic will get you from A to B.
                          Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Vinyl never went away completely, and has been gradually coming back. Vinyl has a warmer sound than CDs, where the music is compressed.

I 'lost' my turntable a few years ago at the end of a relationship. He had borrowed it and I really couldn't be bothered to get it back.

When I get the time I intend on upgrading my separates system and replacing the turntable.

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                            It is amazing how we listen to music has changed over the years? Old crackly radio and a wind up gramophone ? then decent portable radio's with less crackle and music centres and Hi-Fi separates . CD's replaced vinyl and we have digital radio ,and now streaming.
                            Yet Yesterday I went into a HMV shop and saw they had a large display of LP's Vinyl is making a comeback??
                            When CD's first came out they were dearer than Vinyl no it's the other way round £10 for a CD £ 25 plus for Vinyl .
                            I have found over the years listening on a decent system gives you a better sound stage ,whichever type of source you chose...Taffy
                            2018-
                            Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                            NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                            Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                            Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                            Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you