• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Musical memories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musical memories

I find that certain music is associated with memories of my cruises. "Sweet Home Alabama" will always remind me of the very talented Mark Bellinger who, after the usual introduction to the entertainments team picked up his guitar and 'persuaded' most of the older generation on the ship that it was their bed time. The rest of us had a great night. Same cruise "Moondance" was a favourite of the band and will always remind me of them. We had a party in the cinema/nightclub on a couple of occasions and there were more staff than passengers. Dave Axel's rendition of "I've got a Brand New Combine Harvester" was really funny. I was asked for my favourite tune and at that time it was "Angels" by Robbie Williams. It was not in their repertoire but the musical director, the gorgeous Ciaran Phillips, said they'd practice it for me. They did, and played it on the last night. I felt really special. Surely someone else must have musical memories. Or is it just me?

Not at all Cooke - For me it's 'The Whiter Shade of Pale' by Procol Haram 1967 it was playing when I met my wife and we had it played at our wedding also.

On our 25th wedding anniversary it was also played at our celebration party. I began leaning to play the electronic keyboard some years ago and that was one of the first numbers I learnt.

And even now when it is played it sends fond memories of our years together.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Crusings Cool
    sigpic
    Cruisings Cool

Comment

Back in 1967 not cruising but when I first fell in love with being on the water (Albeit on the Norfolk Broads) 'Up, up and away in my beautiful balloon' Nowadays it's 'We are sailing' Carol.
      sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by the mumfords, Nr. rotherham View Post
        Back in 1967 not cruising but when I first fell in love with being on the water (Albeit on the Norfolk Broads) 'Up, up and away in my beautiful balloon' Nowadays it's 'We are sailing' Carol.
        That was the second number I learnt on my keyboard,
        ---------------------------------------------------------------
        Cruisings Cool
        sigpic
        Cruisings Cool

Comment

'The Rose', originally by Bette Midler, whom I love. I really like this song anyway, but on a transatlantic cruise aboard Summit in 2008 there was a passenger talent show (not a contest). We went along and sat at the end of a row thinking it would be awful, but not only did we stay to the end but we watched the re-run on the TV more than once! The standard was exceptionally high, including a superb, chunky American lady in her early 60s who did a brilliant and feisty rendition of 'All That Jazz'; however, my favourite was a lady from Wales who sang 'The Rose' and brought tears to my eyes.

Comment

I always remember Holland America Line always played "Tulips from Amsterdam" followed by
            "New York New York"
            each night at the end of the ships entertainment for the night. I just loved it!

Comment

On our first ever cruise on Oriana last year, the "Headliners" did a Queen tribute show. It was really good and when they sang "Don't stop me (I'm having a good time)" It was just brilliant and so appropriate as we were having the time of our lives! It will always remind me of our first and definitely not last cruise. I apologise to any Queen fans if that is not the correct title of the song but I am sure you all know which song I mean!

Comment

Theme from Titanic. It was showing in one of the bars on our first cruise. Didn't fill me with confidedance as i was nervous already and the next day we were in a force 9 gale. Never cruised for years afterwoods

Comment

The Doors - Road House Blues ;)

Comment

Cooke i don't really want to take you to task over your remarks about the older generation because you were not specific on ages but i would like to point out that not all 60+ are past it and i regard sweet home Alabama as a quite mild rock track compared to what this 62 year old listens to and sees in concert, i wish there was more of that genre but i am sure if there was there would be complaints from all ages. Try a bit of Whitesnake or Def Leppard and many others.:D

Comment

The Who 'Won't Get Fooled Again'

Comment

oh cool memories

Comment

Private Number by Judy Clay and William Bell. Brings back fond memories !

Comment

The Seeker by the Who. I used to have it on a single record. Then they brought out discs that were supposed to be better. But they are not. They still get scratched.

Comment

Hi A magical but surreal musical event occured on my first cruise in Caribbean on P&O's Victoria (December, 1989ish). A local steel band came onboard and did a selection of Xmas songs (Frosty the Snow Man, White Christmas etc)and Carols (Holy Night etc) while the sun was blazing down.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X