• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cover Versions of Songs Superior to the Original

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cover Versions of Songs Superior to the Original

Hi In most cases the original recording of a song is usually considered to be the best but there are a few exceptions. What's your favourite cover version? Here's a few I think are better than the original:
    Summertime Blues The Who
    Hey Mr. Tambourine Man The Byrds
    David Watts The Jam
    Because The Night Patti Smith
    Blinded By The Light Manfred Man's Earth Band
    The Tide Is High Blondie
    A Little Help From Your Friends Joe Cocker
    Sailing Rod Stewart
    As Tears Go By Marianne Faithful
    Then I Kissed Her Beach Boys

While My Guitar Gently Weeps by Peter Frampton, even though I'm a big Beatles fan.

Comment

Solitaire was better by the Carpenters than the original writer Neil Sedaka

Comment

Bad Bad Leroy Brown by Frank Sinatra.......Far better than the original by Jim Croce' (who wrote it)

.........and whilst on the subject of singer songwriters..........Everyone who recorded 'Yesterday' was better than the drone of Paul McCartney..........Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
          Bad Bad Leroy Brown by Frank Sinatra.......Far better than the original by Jim Croce' (who wrote it)

.........and whilst on the subject of singer songwriters..........Everyone who recorded 'Yesterday' was better than the drone of Paul McCartney..........Wilba
          And here's me thinking I was the only person who can't stand Paul McCartney Wilba. Joan

Comment

Sorry John B, I can't agree about Mr. Tambourine Man, apart from anything else the Byrds only include one verse and two choruses, I don't dislike the Byrds version at all, it's just not the whole song.

A really obscure one is Joe Henry's cover of Tom T. Hall's The Homecoming, a brooding Gothic masterpiece.
            sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
            X