• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Lewis Ad.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jan lowden, sunderland (2)
    started a topic John Lewis Ad.

John Lewis Ad.

Morning, Just watched the JL "Christmas Ad. Seems to me they paid Elton John £5million to make a advertisement all about himself.!!! Yes I know the message at the end is about presents, But where on earth is the message for Christmas? I cant believe that JL was the leader in fabulous adverts, Making us all warm and fuzzy leading up to Xmas.

What do you think of it.? Jan.

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilba View Post
    I don't understand these modern Christmas adverts as they only show the stores name at the very end, which are easily forgotten.

A good example for me is the one in recent years of the first world war British and German soldiers coming together on Christmas Day.

I remember the ad, but haven't a clue who it was for.

On the other hand I can still remember ads from my childhood that included the words of the company within some corny tune.

When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent and that irritating lady doing the Shake & Vac were just two classics............Wilba
    Sainsbury - 2014 - loved that advert.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Wilba
    replied
    I don't understand these modern Christmas adverts as they only show the stores name at the very end, which are easily forgotten.

A good example for me is the one in recent years of the first world war British and German soldiers coming together on Christmas Day.

I remember the ad, but haven't a clue who it was for.

On the other hand I can still remember ads from my childhood that included the words of the company within some corny tune.

When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent and that irritating lady doing the Shake & Vac were just two classics............Wilba

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Insider information indicates that it is not actually EJ playing the piano. I do not know how accurate that information is however.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
    This made me chuckle .................................................. .................Carol

I saw that last night but the message of the advert is the same??

Annie

PS Is the trend not towards experiences rather than 'stuff'??
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 16th November 2018, 09:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• carol, welwyn garden city
    replied
    This made me chuckle .................................................. .................Carol

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
    Love it! A present on Christmas Day as a little boy shaped and changed his life. I think it’s beautiful I bet he wishes his mum was still alive to have seen it.
    It has meaning in my opinion it’s a yay from me
    Me too.Loved it.
    The sentiments which came through had me tearing up at the end.

Leave a comment:

• Victoria, Aberystwyth
    replied
    I like the ad, anything’s better than animals for me! As a pianist, it really appeals. Around here, there’s always a demand for accompanists so playing the piano is not a solitary thing at all.

Leave a comment:

• Bigsis, Waterlooville
    replied
    Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
    Love it! A present on Christmas Day as a little boy shaped and changed his life. I think it’s beautiful I bet he wishes his mum was still alive to have seen it.
    It has meaning in my opinion it’s a yay from me
    I love it too and I think the message is lovely. Also, as someone who received a piano as a present a couple of months ago, it's reminded me I must keep up my practice. Who knows where it could lead!!
    Actually, my 8 year old grandson is learning it faster then me. That's the best bit, sharing it with him 💝

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post

I learned piano as a child, and while I can play moderately well, for me it is essentially a solitary pursuit. Our sons studied trumpet and clarinet in school and enjoyed playing in the band. Neither of them was particularly athletic and the band was their community activity rather than a sports team. They both play guitar, one in a rock group (in his day job he is a project manager with a large software company). They have encouraged their children to play different instruments, with varying degrees of success.
    Similar story. I only had instrumental lessons on the violin but learned to play additional instruments including the piano. Well you couldn't have a piano in the house, have the ability to read music and not use it

My siblings primarily played brass instruments.

The family musical tradition continues with the younger generation.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• dst87, Falkirk
    replied
    I always look forward to the JL Christmas advert, and I thought this one was excellent.

Leave a comment:

• alandrover, beccles
    replied
    I like it but don't LOVE it,however I do like the sentiment.How a gift could change your life forever and missing loved ones .

Leave a comment:

• smtcan, Scarborough
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
    Absolutely agree Annie.

I joined the local town band at about the age of 11. Some 60 plus years on I have played in brass bands, swing bands, wind bands, classical orchestras, pit bands, quartets, small ensembles and so on.

Although no longer of the standard I once was I can still get the brain to signal to the fingers what to do with reasonable accomplishment in a local community wind band.

Although many youngsters learn the piano I always think a good idea is to consider a woodwind or brass instrument. The piano is a "solitary" instrument and when youngsters reach the age of GCSE's, A Levels or Uni they frequently drop their studies. Playing a "group" instrument gives a focus and allows them to continue making music with others at Uni or wherever they travel in their lives.
    I learned piano as a child, and while I can play moderately well, for me it is essentially a solitary pursuit. Our sons studied trumpet and clarinet in school and enjoyed playing in the band. Neither of them was particularly athletic and the band was their community activity rather than a sports team. They both play guitar, one in a rock group (in his day job he is a project manager with a large software company). They have encouraged their children to play different instruments, with varying degrees of success.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    Here it is:

https://youtu.be/mNbSgMEZ_Tw

Leave a comment:

• philhar, wallasey
    replied
    I accept some people may not be Elton fans but his upbringing was quite tricky and his Mum made lot of sacrifices for him to pursue his dream.
    I think the end bit in particular is very touching.
    His fee is being donated to his own charity which supports children in sport and music.
    His charitable fundraising is legendary.
    I've just booked tickets for his farewell tour.

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X