• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Lewis Ad.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Lewis Ad.

Morning, Just watched the JL "Christmas Ad. Seems to me they paid Elton John £5million to make a advertisement all about himself.!!! Yes I know the message at the end is about presents, But where on earth is the message for Christmas? I cant believe that JL was the leader in fabulous adverts, Making us all warm and fuzzy leading up to Xmas.

What do you think of it.? Jan.

Don't like it .

They used to make the best ad's but recently I have liked them less and less. I think it is funny that Chris Moyles did the fake teaser and was so close to the actual one, insider information there I guess.

I am quite liking the Boots one where the mum is in a choir and surprises the daughter...Carol

p.s. Is Elton donating his fee to charity, that would be a lovely gesture and I am sure he doesn't need the money!
    Last edited by Guy, Ormskirk; 15th November 2018, 08:39 AM. Reason: added a bit

Comment

Oh , I haven't seen that one yet, I love Elton , Warts and tantrums, But give me the JL ad with the little boy in Waiting impatiently for Xmas as we all assume he wants to open his presents. Then we find out its because he has a sloppily wrapped present for his parents that he brings to them in bed on Xmas morning. Lovely. Jan.

Comment

I'm not so sure that Elton got all of the money, as most of that cost will go into advertising, TV promotion, etc.

It matters not to me as no amount of these ads make me enter any store unless they are offering a better deal on a specific product that I really want to buy..............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

I have just watched it on youtube. I liked it. I suppose the message is that a well chosen gift can enhance a person's life.
          2018-
          Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
          NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
          Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
          Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
          Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
            I have just watched it on youtube. I liked it. I suppose the message is that a well chosen gift can enhance a person's life.
            I am with you on this Yogini.

I remember the excitement in our home when the piano arrived.

Just as an aside teaching a child to play any musical instrument is a gift that lasts a lifetime.

Annie

Comment

Not one of my favourites, I agree with Yogini, loved that advert and the man in the moon one .................................................. .............Carol

Comment

Love it! A present on Christmas Day as a little boy shaped and changed his life. I think it’s beautiful I bet he wishes his mum was still alive to have seen it.
                It has meaning in my opinion it’s a yay from me

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Just as an aside teaching a child to play any musical instrument is a gift that lasts a lifetime.

Annie
                  Absolutely agree Annie.

I joined the local town band at about the age of 11. Some 60 plus years on I have played in brass bands, swing bands, wind bands, classical orchestras, pit bands, quartets, small ensembles and so on.

Although no longer of the standard I once was I can still get the brain to signal to the fingers what to do with reasonable accomplishment in a local community wind band.

Although many youngsters learn the piano I always think a good idea is to consider a woodwind or brass instrument. The piano is a "solitary" instrument and when youngsters reach the age of GCSE's, A Levels or Uni they frequently drop their studies. Playing a "group" instrument gives a focus and allows them to continue making music with others at Uni or wherever they travel in their lives.

Comment

I just watched it on YouTube and it appealed to me, but I have been an Elton John fan for many years. I liked the sentiment of a gift changing a life and think it must be hard to find a new take on Christmas ads. According to what I have read, Elton John's fee is going to his charitable foundation.
                    Sheila

Comment

I accept some people may not be Elton fans but his upbringing was quite tricky and his Mum made lot of sacrifices for him to pursue his dream.
                      I think the end bit in particular is very touching.
                      His fee is being donated to his own charity which supports children in sport and music.
                      His charitable fundraising is legendary.
                      I've just booked tickets for his farewell tour.

Comment

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/mNbSgMEZ_Tw
                        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                          Absolutely agree Annie.

I joined the local town band at about the age of 11. Some 60 plus years on I have played in brass bands, swing bands, wind bands, classical orchestras, pit bands, quartets, small ensembles and so on.

Although no longer of the standard I once was I can still get the brain to signal to the fingers what to do with reasonable accomplishment in a local community wind band.

Although many youngsters learn the piano I always think a good idea is to consider a woodwind or brass instrument. The piano is a "solitary" instrument and when youngsters reach the age of GCSE's, A Levels or Uni they frequently drop their studies. Playing a "group" instrument gives a focus and allows them to continue making music with others at Uni or wherever they travel in their lives.
                          I learned piano as a child, and while I can play moderately well, for me it is essentially a solitary pursuit. Our sons studied trumpet and clarinet in school and enjoyed playing in the band. Neither of them was particularly athletic and the band was their community activity rather than a sports team. They both play guitar, one in a rock group (in his day job he is a project manager with a large software company). They have encouraged their children to play different instruments, with varying degrees of success.

Comment

I like it but don't LOVE it,however I do like the sentiment.How a gift could change your life forever and missing loved ones .

Comment

I always look forward to the JL Christmas advert, and I thought this one was excellent.
                              Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X