• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, well, well! Who'd a thought it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Well, well, well! Who'd a thought it!

    The original inhabitants of the British Isles turn out to be Black skinned and Blue eyed. We hooray for the scientists.

    In the Mesolithic Age when "Britain" was still joined to the European mass and the Ice Age was ending in the area now we know as Britain the first inhabitants were.....Black skinned and blue eyed. Today only 10 % of the GB population still hold that genetic trace and the rest are made up of immigrants.

    Channel 4 had a superb piece today on this announcement and I watched it with huge interest.

    Cheddar Man: Mesolithic Britain's blue-eyed boy | Natural History Museum

    Read it for yourself and allow most if not all of your white-skinned, blue eyed boy to slide away and a new image arise.

    As I say I enjoyed the programme immensely. ......Neil

    #2
    Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
    The original inhabitants of the British Isles turn out to be Black skinned and Blue eyed. We hooray for the scientists.

    In the Mesolithic Age when "Britain" was still joined to the European mass and the Ice Age was ending in the area now we know as Britain the first inhabitants were.....Black skinned and blue eyed. Today only 10 % of the GB population still hold that genetic trace and the rest are made up of immigrants.

    Channel 4 had a superb piece today on this announcement and I watched it with huge interest.

    Cheddar Man: Mesolithic Britain's blue-eyed boy | Natural History Museum

    Read it for yourself and allow most if not all of your white-skinned, blue eyed boy to slide away and a new image arise.

    As I say I enjoyed the programme immensely. ......Neil
    I heard this last night. I am struggling with the biology. I confess not knowing the percentage of non-white people who have blue eyes. Does anybody know?

    Annie

    PS I now understand the biology but the percentage??
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 7th February 2018, 07:43 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      Many thanks, Neil. Very interesting and informative,and we appreciated the chance to read the item.
      mariers2

      Comment


        #4
        The strangest thing is that "Cheddar Man" was allergic to milk and therefore cheese. Now there is an extra incongruous piece of information. Neil

        Comment


          #5
          Fascinating, Thanks for the link Neil. The world never ceases to amaze. Jan.

          Comment


            #6
            I am glad that some of you found it interesting.

            I am wondering if it was a little too close to the knuckle for others to comment. There were, at the time of writing, 439 views.

            Just a thought. ....Neil

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
              I am glad that some of you found it interesting.

              I am wondering if it was a little too close to the knuckle for others to comment. There were, at the time of writing, 439 views.

              Just a thought. ....Neil
              Now the number of those who have looked at this thread have reached 537 .

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                Now the number of those who have looked at this thread have reached 537 .
                #)
                And your point is? I don’t feel that I have to comment on every thread I read.

                Comment


                  #9
                  But of course, "Cheddar Man was part of a wave of migrants, who walked across a landmass called Doggerland that, in those days, connected Britain to mainland Europe. This makes him the oldest known Briton with a direct connection to people living here today."

                  Since the whole of the British Isles was once (or twice) buried under many metres of ice; we are all the descendants of immigrants.
                  The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
                  T Pratchett.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
                    #)
                    And your point is? I don’t feel that I have to comment on every thread I read.
                    Nor me,
                    As most of the Comments are Neils are most of the click on's from him....Taffy
                    ​Taffy

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                      Nor me,
                      As most of the Comments are Neils are most of the click on's from him....Taffy
                      Interesting to know how the system works. Are viewing numbers counted by number of individual views, or is it per IP address and therefore just the first view is registered?

                      As for answering every single post, I remember a newbie, years ago, bemoaning the fact nobody had commented on a post he/she made. General consensus was, if members are interested, they'll comment. If not, they won't.

                      Simple logic really!

                      As I'm on the thread, thanks for the link. I'd already read that up.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
                        Nor me,
                        As most of the Comments are Neils are most of the click on's from him....Taffy
                        Quite so, when I write a thread I maintain it and add to it. I even put apostrophes in when needed Oh sorry I thought it was Garfie's Post. .....Neil
                        Last edited by Neil Down, Southampton; 10th February 2018, 09:57 AM.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                          Interesting to know how the system works. Are viewing numbers counted by number of individual views, or is it per IP address and therefore just the first view is registered?

                          As for answering every single post, I remember a newbie, years ago, bemoaning the fact nobody had commented on a post he/she made. General consensus was, if members are interested, they'll comment. If not, they won't.

                          Simple logic really!

                          As I'm on the thread, thanks for the link. I'd already read that up.
                          It's a pleasure. (That's another post") Regards .....Neil

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Neil Down, Southampton View Post
                            It's a pleasure. (That's another post") Regards .....Neil
                            Ahh, but does that count for the viewing figures?

                            Comment


                            We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.


                            By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

                            Working...
                            X