• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Such brave, brave men !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such brave, brave men !!

.It's hard to believe that tragedy happened 34 years ago, I remember it so well, it was such a tragedy and these brave men lost their lives trying to save those from the Union Star and families lost fathers and, sons, what brave and unselfish men they were. CG

Cornwall. This day, Saturday the 19th of December,1981. Never to be forgotten. The crew of The Solomon Browne.
    Because of the truly awful weather and violence of the towering 40-60' waves, the RNAS Sea King helicopter scrambled from Culdrose on that stormy night in December, could do little but stand by and bear witness to the unfolding tragedy.
    It was left to the Penlee lifeboat, the Solomon Browne, to launch at twelve minutes past eight in the evening from Mousehole to attempt the rescue. Knowing the odds of return in the atrocious conditions, Cox’n Trevelyan Richards turned away any more than one crew member from the same family.
    The lifeboat struggled down to the Tater Du rock encountering tremendous waves. In a magnificent effort the lifeboat crew snatched four people from the stricken Union Star.
    Trevelyan Richards radioed their intentions back to base, then went in again to close quarters, to try to save the rest.
    Lt Cdr Smith USN, the pilot of the rescue helicopter, later reported that:
    "The greatest act of courage that I have ever seen or am ever likely to see, was the penultimate courage and dedication shown by the Penlee crew, when they manoeuvred back alongside the casualty in over 60 ft breakers and rescued four people, shortly after the lifeboat had been bashed on top of the casualty's hatch covers.
    They were truly the bravest eight men I've ever seen, who were also totally dedicated to upholding the highest standards of the RNLI."
    RIP
    sigpic

That is a very moving story CG, one of which no words can convey to applaud the selfless bravery of these men............Wilba
    Wilba

Comment

That is why I always donate as much as I can to The RNLI
      ,jim

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
        That is a very moving story CG, one of which no words can convey to applaud the selfless bravery of these men............Wilba
        I couldn't have put it better!

Comment

Yikes I've just got chills reading that. Never heard of this story before. Wow heros.
          Past cruises:
          Carnival Conquest October 2002
          Independence of the Seas October 2012
          Independence of the Seas May 2014
          Explorer of the Seas June 2015
          Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Yes they were brave men, I remember it well,

Comment

Above and beyond the call of duty, the ultimate sacrifice.
              Oriana
              Oceana
              Ventura
              Queen Mary 2
              Queen Victoria
              Queen Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                .It's hard to believe that tragedy happened 34 years ago, I remember it so well, it was such a tragedy and these brave men lost their lives trying to save those from the Union Star and families lost fathers and, sons, what brave and unselfish men they were. CG

Cornwall. This day, Saturday the 19th of December,1981. Never to be forgotten. The crew of The Solomon Browne.
                Because of the truly awful weather and violence of the towering 40-60' waves, the RNAS Sea King helicopter scrambled from Culdrose on that stormy night in December, could do little but stand by and bear witness to the unfolding tragedy.
                It was left to the Penlee lifeboat, the Solomon Browne, to launch at twelve minutes past eight in the evening from Mousehole to attempt the rescue. Knowing the odds of return in the atrocious conditions, Cox’n Trevelyan Richards turned away any more than one crew member from the same family.
                The lifeboat struggled down to the Tater Du rock encountering tremendous waves. In a magnificent effort the lifeboat crew snatched four people from the stricken Union Star.
                Trevelyan Richards radioed their intentions back to base, then went in again to close quarters, to try to save the rest.
                "The greatest act of courage that I have ever seen or am ever likely to see, was the penultimate courage and dedication shown by the Penlee crew, when they manoeuvred back alongside the casualty in over 60 ft breakers and rescued four people, shortly after the lifeboat had been bashed on top of the casualty's hatch covers.
                They were truly the bravest eight men I've ever seen, who were also totally dedicated to upholding the highest standards of the RNLI."
                RIP

Hi CG

As you know we are regular visitors to Cornwall and have been for over 40 years, been twice this year and on both occasions visited Mousehole.

I belong to both Mousehole/Penwith's and St Ives Facebook pages. There have been many posts today on both pages remembering this tragic event of 1981.

In St Ives today on a rainy windswept morning, they said goodbye to the Princess Royal lifeboat after 25 years of service (recently replaced by a new boat), when by chance we are reminded how hazardous the work of the RNLI's volunteer crews can be.

3 videos which may be of interest.

Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 19th December 2015, 07:13 PM.
                Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post

RIP
                  Completely agree. We were living in Cornwall at the time and this was - and still is - immensely sad. It was followed, of course, by the death of David Penhalligan, a man I much admired, true to himself and to his beloved Cornwall.

Comment

I have the utmost respect for all those that serve with the RLNI and in particular those that crew the lifeboats. We have lost a few up in Scotland including the Longhope Boat among others.
                    R.I.P. All those lost and let's hope this type of disaster recedes into the sands of time.
                    Last edited by Happy Cruiser, Houston,Renfrewshire; 19th December 2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

To see how brave these men and all lifeboat crew members are, I urge you to watch the 2nd video of the events of that night in 1981, although it's nearly an hour long, its a very moving video.
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I don't post often, but I do look in every day. I had not heard of this disaster before, but it has really touched me. Just reading the original post to my husband had me in tears. I have watched the videos today. What truly brave men the lifeboat crew were. Their bereaved families must be so proud of them all, it is such a pity they paid with the ultimate price of their lives. RIP all of those who lost their lives on that dreadful night.

Val

Comment

The RNLI are one of the charities we are happy to support.
                          sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                          best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                          agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                          X