• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RMS Queen Mary? Pictures.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RMS Queen Mary? Pictures.

80 year old pictures some new to me of the QM .

What does RMS stand for ??

Fascinating images of the RMS Queen Mary surface after 80 years revealing the building and fitting of the opulent transatlantic liner | Daily Mail Online

one of the luxury lounges.

A private dining room.

Must have taken ages to Rivet the ship together.

Wonder what this weighed.
    The link has pictures of the Radio room and the telephone exchange .
    Must have been one heck of a ship to sail on...Taffy
    ​Taffy

RMS = Royal Merchant Ship
    Wilba

Comment

Anyone intending to cruise out of Los Angeles should consider a 24 stay on The Queen Mary at Long Beach, or at least a daytime visit for a fascinating insight into the old girl.

The amount of public rooms and bars are actually quite limited as to what must have been available in her glory days, but the bridge and engine room are still maintained with loads of spit and polish.

Wilba

Comment

Royal Mail ship ! they carried the mail . my husband used to sailed on the Escalante another RMS ship which used to carry the Mail. CG
        Last edited by cornish girl, falmouth; 26th October 2015, 09:36 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

AIUI there are only 3 RMS ships still operating with only one delivering mail.

Home - RMS St Helena

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
            Anyone intending to cruise out of Los Angeles should consider a 24 stay on The Queen Mary at Long Beach, or at least a daytime visit for a fascinating insight into the old girl.

The amount of public rooms and bars are actually quite limited as to what must have been available in her glory days, but the bridge and engine room are still maintained with loads of spit and polish.

Hi Wilba,

I did just that whilst visiting my daughter in Santa Monica this April. Being a ships enthusiast my daughter arranged an overnight stay onboard.
            My wife and I had the Esinhower Suite, a bit OTT for just the two of us but a once in a lifetime experience!
            We then did a 2300 mile drive up the Pacific Highway to San Fransisco, on to Nevada and Arizonia before coming back to California.
            We stopped daily en - route or sometimes for 2 days, and did all the " usual " tourist things in San Fransisco, Yosemite. Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and Lake Havasu.
            We dined in some of the old " Rat Pack " restaurants, another of my " to do " ambitions " realised, sat in Sinatra's booth for dinner in Vegas!
            All in all a great experience, thankfully though my daughter was doing the driving!

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
              RMS = Royal Merchant Ship
              Nope - Royal Mail Ship

The Queen Mary 2 was also given the RMS prefix for nostalgic reasons. I guess she must carry some mail.

Must have been one heck of a ship to sail on...Taffy
              I went to her annual New Years Eve party on-board at long beach - it was wonderful. It culminated with fireworks viewed from her aft deck.

Unfortunately she was not very stable in North Atlantic storms and used to roll over by to 45 degrees! They say you had to walk down the corridors with on foot on the floor and one on the wall.

The QE2 was significantly more stable the original QM and the QM2 is apparently 'twice' as stable than the QE2.
              Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 26th October 2015, 01:22 PM.
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X