• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Blow to Our Culture!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Blow to Our Culture!

How many Cruiser's read the "Mail On Sunday" this weekend and read that the British Institution BBC has decided to do away with more of our religious culture, doing away with BC (Before Christ)and AD (Anno Domini) and replacing theses with BCE (Before Common Era) and CE (common Era). This is so that Non Christians are not offended. What are your views?

Why now? typical BBC kneejerk reaction, this is a christian country, only those in charge are not christian , I read he is Muslim, would they even consider changing their religious culture the for non christians in any other country just look at the Americans, and the different denominations in that country there would be uproar if they tried that. !
    Even non christian denominations can't understand this latest move. CG
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by granddaddy, worksop View Post
      How many Cruiser's read the "Mail On Sunday" this weekend and read that the British Institution BBC has decided to do away with more of our religious culture, doing away with BC (Before Christ)and AD (Anno Domini) and replacing theses with BCE (Before Common Era) and CE (common Era). This is so that Non Christians are not offended. What are your views?
      Not printable I'm afraid. The automatic bleeper would bleep out most of my comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
        Not printable I'm afraid. The automatic bleeper would bleep out most of my comments.
        Same here Mrs M. So sad, so very sad.
        sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Sorry Mrs M; can't get excited about this. I will continue to use BC/AD whatever the Beeb decides. Let us 'love our enemies'. BTW, my memory says this fashion started in academic circles in that well known ;christian' country, the US of A!

Comment

Originally posted by Leslie, London View Post
            Sorry Mrs M; can't get excited about this. I will continue to use BC/AD whatever the Beeb decides. Let us 'love our enemies'. BTW, my memory says this fashion started in academic circles in that well known ;christian' country, the US of A!
            I'm not excited either. Just disgusted of Tunbridge Wells!

Comment

whatever happened to 'When in Rome - do as the Roman's'.
              When we go aboard and visit a mosque, church or monastery and are requested to cover our head - knees - shoulders - we do it without question - it's called respect. How come everyone can have an identity and culture but us................sorry but this really annoys me - but not as much as not having a Nativity Play or wishing someone a Happy Christmas........grrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by SandieA, Torbay View Post
                whatever happened to 'When in Rome - do as the Roman's'.
                When we go aboard and visit a mosque, church or monastery and are requested to cover our head - knees - shoulders - we do it without question - it's called respect. How come everyone can have an identity and culture but us................sorry but this really annoys me - but not as much as not having a Nativity Play or wishing someone a Happy Christmas........grrrrr
                SandieA, I will certainly, and happily, wish you a 'Happy Christmas'; I will even offer to sell you Christmas cards that my Church produces in aid of Church funds!

Comment

I'm not excited either. Just disgusted of Tunbridge Wells!
                  Oh surely you are Mrs Trellis of North Wales (Ah those were the days)

Comment

SandieA, I will certainly, and happily, wish you a 'Happy Christmas'; I will even offer to sell you Christmas cards that my Church produces in aid of Church funds!
                    I find it very sad that in some places that the term Happy Christmas has been replaced with Happy Holidays............how depressing!
                    PM
                    CANBERRA (STUFT) May 1982
                    OCEANA 7-21 Aug 2010
                    VENTURA 4-19 Nov 2011
                    VENTURA Feb 2014

Comment

Originally posted by PM, SW View Post
                      I find it very sad that in some places that the term Happy Christmas has been replaced with Happy Holidays............how depressing!
                      PM
                      How about Baa Baa Woolly Sheep, which I heard about the other day? Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by PM, SW View Post
                        PM
                        Totally agree PM; another saying from across the pond to cover both Jewish and Christian festivals; and one I refuse to use.

Comment

Well, this is SO not politically correct, but illustrates how MAD it has all become!

The Archbishop of Canterbury and The Royal
                          Commission for Political Correctness announced today that
                          the climate in the UK should no longer be referred to as
                          'English Weather'

Rather than offend a sizeable portion of the
                          UK population, it will now be referred to as:

'Muslim Weather'

( Partly Sunni, but mostly Shi'ite )

A joke folks!! If they can change our culture, we can fight back, sometimes with humour!!
                          Lizzie sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie, Lymington View Post
                            Well, this is SO not politically correct, but illustrates how MAD it has all become!

The Archbishop of Canterbury and The Royal
                            Commission for Political Correctness announced today that
                            the climate in the UK should no longer be referred to as
                            'English Weather'

Rather than offend a sizeable portion of the
                            UK population, it will now be referred to as:

'Muslim Weather'

( Partly Sunni, but mostly Shi'ite )

A joke folks!! If they can change our culture, we can fight back, sometimes with humour!!

Comment

When I was a lad (many moons ago) we always said 'have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year'.

We even had a pair of displays which use to belong to my grandmother that came out every year with Father Christmas on his sleigh being pulled by his reindeers with Merry Christmas emblazoned above it. The matching display was of a winter forest scene with a snow covered cottage and above it the words Happy New Year.
                              Even in Dickens famous novel 'A Christmas Carol' it's referred to as a Merry Christmas, not a Happy one.
                              In fact judging by the amount of booze some people consume at Christmas it should be a very merry one!

Having BCE & CE instead of BC & AD will not only put us out of step with Europe but also the rest of the world. And who'll be paying for this piece of nonsense, that's right, us, the license payers.

Cheers NOT
                              OSD
                              Last edited by Old Sea Dog, Stockport; 27th September 2011, 11:13 PM.
                              Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X