• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those pesky ANTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those pesky ANTS

Has any one noticed lately how there seems to be a lot more ants around, we live in a built up area which has mostly got concrete around but lately there seems to be a lot of ants tonight I was at my computer and noticed one of the little blighters running along the edge of it so I flicked it off and it was back when I turned the main light on there was a stream of the things running up the edge of the door frame, I flipped went into the kitchen got salt opened door and poured it all in the threashold I sprayed them with raid fly spray and tomorrow will be buying ant killer, it seems as our weather is getting warmer these creatures seem to be increasing has anyone got any tips for getting rid of them ?

Originally posted by Balmcake, Leeds (2) View Post
    Has any one noticed lately how there seems to be a lot more ants around, we live in a built up area which has mostly got concrete around but lately there seems to be a lot of ants tonight I was at my computer and noticed one of the little blighters running along the edge of it so I flicked it off and it was back when I turned the main light on there was a stream of the things running up the edge of the door frame, I flipped went into the kitchen got salt opened door and poured it all in the threashold I sprayed them with raid fly spray and tomorrow will be buying ant killer, it seems as our weather is getting warmer these creatures seem to be increasing has anyone got any tips for getting rid of them ?
    Every time the weather gets warm out they come,front garden,back garden and patio,tried boiling water but they just go underground and come up somewhere else,I think it is just a matter of layiny ant powder at the edges of all your doors ,that seems to keep them at bay,then its just attack them with ant powder every time they pop up.

best of luck.

jim

Comment

They seem to be all over the garden and pathways, especially when you are weeding they are up your arms and give you a nip.Lay the powder down especially by the threshold, to try and stop the little pests. CG
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
        They seem to be all over the garden and pathways, especially when you are weeding they are up your arms and give you a nip.Lay the powder down especially by the threshold, to try and stop the little pests. CG
        Now that is strange Cg ,they also climb up my wifes legs but they dont come near me.

jim

Comment

Funny you should mention it yesterday we pulled all the weeds from around the edge of the concrete slabs to deter slugs and snails, next door has just had garden fully paved and they had open garden before that,we have 5 steps up to our entrance and when I just opened the door there were hundreds of them, so tomorrow a trip to the garden section in Asda for mega quantities of ant killer kitchen spray with bleach etc don't want them in there we don't leave sugar or anything out everything is kept in containers so hopefully they wont bother, just told hubby not to throw bread out for birds will buy those things you hang on the clothes line,keep feeling like they are crawling all over me funny how mind plays tricks isn't it.
          Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post

Comment

I use salt around the door thresholds. They take it off and don't come back...

Comment

We find ant nematodes from greengardener.co.uk work really well. They are sent by post and you keep them in the fridge until you are ready to water them in to the area of the problem. Not cheap, but works for the rest of the summer. Ordering is my next job as we seem to have a nest right outside the french doors. Judith

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, have used salt, bought ant powder and a spray that kills ants too hopefully we wont be pestered.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruise Fairy, Indiana USA (2) View Post
                  I use salt around the door thresholds. They take it off and don't come back...
                  It does not work on vampires

Comment

Originally posted by Balmcake, Leeds (2) View Post
                    Thanks for all your replies, have used salt, bought ant powder and a spray that kills ants too hopefully we wont be pestered.
                    The R.S.P.C.Ants will be knocking on your door

Comment

Poor little things! The main reason you're noticing them more at the moment is probably because it's the time of year when they start to swarm. I know it's not nice to have them in the house, but they don't do any harm; they're not dirty creatures and don't spread disease. If you can bear to leave them alone outside for a few more days, I expect you'll find they gradually go back to being their normal, inoffensive little selves.

Jenny

Comment

Since I sprinked salt on the threshold and put ant powder round the perimeter they have kept their distance, I know they don't spread disease but its not nice when they are crawling up the walls and onto furniture there was even one cheeky blighter walking in and out of ports on laptop, anyway hopefully it's solved.
                        Originally posted by Hirst, Salisbury View Post
                        Poor little things! The main reason you're noticing them more at the moment is probably because it's the time of year when they start to swarm. I know it's not nice to have them in the house, but they don't do any harm; they're not dirty creatures and don't spread disease. If you can bear to leave them alone outside for a few more days, I expect you'll find they gradually go back to being their normal, inoffensive little selves.

Jenny

Comment

we have had over the past few days hundreds of flying ants,but the birds love them,sparrows and blackbirds cannot get enough of them even if they are dead(ants not birds)so infact they clear all trace of them,but another thing is all the ladybirds they are everywere,the granchildren love looking and collecting those

Comment

Originally posted by cccruise, nottingham View Post
                            we have had over the past few days hundreds of flying ants,but the birds love them,sparrows and blackbirds cannot get enough of them even if they are dead(ants not birds)so infact they clear all trace of them,but another thing is all the ladybirds they are everywere,the granchildren love looking and collecting those
                            I've noticed that too CC.
                            The amount of swallows and swifts swooping round and bats at dusk. I find it fascinating, never mind your grandchildren. Food for thought eh?
                            sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

yes we love watching the birds catching the flying ants and feeding them to their babies on the lawn,nature is truly amazing

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X