• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bombarded!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bombarded!

We all get scam calls at times but we are being bombarded with scam calls every day recently. Most of them are purporting to be BT checking our internet connection.

I have tried being polite by telling them that we don't have a BT connection; OH answered and put on a mock frightened voice saying 'Oh no what should I do?' the answer from them being 'Go Die'. I've told them to GO AWAY (not those words exactly) and I've tried just hanging up. The calls from 'BT' continue however and from different numbers. The only similarity is that all the callers sound as if they are in a call centre somewhere on the Indian subcontinent.

I don't really want to set up a call screening facility because I know it can be a pain for genuine callers.

Is anyone else having a similar problem?

Jill

Sign up to TPS services. They stop most of unwanted cold calls to landline and mobile. We still get the occasional cold or automated calls like ‘you’ve been in a recent accident’, BT or sky broadband being slow etc but these are few and far between.

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/register
    Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 13th May 2021, 12:01 PM.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
      Sign up to TPS services. They stop most of unwanted cold calls to landline and mobile. We still get the occasional cold or automated calls like ‘you’ve been in a recent accident’, BT or sky broadband being slow etc but these are few and far between.

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/register
      Thanks Issy. I did look them up but they say that although they can help stop marking cold calls, they can't stop computer generated calls, which is what we are getting at the moment.

I'll give a try though.
      Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
        We all get scam calls at times but we are being bombarded with scam calls every day recently. Most of them are purporting to be BT checking our internet connection.

I have tried being polite by telling them that we don't have a BT connection; OH answered and put on a mock frightened voice saying 'Oh no what should I do?' the answer from them being 'Go Die'. I've told them to GO AWAY (not those words exactly) and I've tried just hanging up. The calls from 'BT' continue however and from different numbers. The only similarity is that all the callers sound as if they are in a call centre somewhere on the Indian subcontinent.

I don't really want to set up a call screening facility because I know it can be a pain for genuine callers.

Is anyone else having a similar problem?
        Not since I installed an answering machine. I rarely use my landline now - I have friends who have disconnected theirs.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Not since I installed an answering machine. I rarely use my landline now - I have friends who have disconnected theirs.

Annie
          The problem for us Annie is that the signal is not great here for our mobile phones, otherwise I wouldn't bother with the landline.
          Jill

Comment

So annoying aren't they Every cold call we get we block, I know there is a lot, but it does eventually start reducing the amount you get. I don't think there is anyway of stopping them completely unless you do what Annie said. My mum has a screen calling on her land line phone and gets no cold calls at all .................................................. ...........Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

The problem for us Annie is that the signal is not great here for our mobile phones, otherwise I wouldn't bother with the landline.
              Hi Jill

Is that with all providers?? Just asking.

Annie

Comment

Hi jill, like you I get a load of calls one week then none for a week or so... normally I just dont pick up if I dont recognise the number... OH goes into a panic thinking that I am being done for fraud, or somone is using my ins no. etc etc.. I have done the usual " GO AWAY" or words to that effect but this morning I just answered my phone then put it on the side while I went for my shower... didnt achieve anything but at least it cost them to make the call.............Hugs Heather x

Comment

We've had several and they do seem to be on the increase. I usually put the phone down, or the modern equivalent thereof but sometimes I'll have a bit of fun and string them along before telling them to go forth and multiply. At the last count there are four teams of HMRC heavies on their way to arrest me and seize all my assets (oo - er missus). The latest scam is where they try to get you to give your National Insurance number to them over the phone. God only knows what they'd get up to with that.

Comment

We get so many of them these days. It really annoys us when they purport to be from a company we use. At work I have to ring the patients up the day before their appointments to screen them for Covid but some folks have the call barring feature and I have to declare that it’s the Anti-Coag clinic, Wythenshawe Hospital in order to get through. If they don’t have that but block all cold callers anyway I have to go through the main switch board. Our problem is the fact that members of my family ring us on the landline and it shows up as International but at least we know that my family only ring up for birthdays and holidays, otherwise we email and my sister and I do FaceTime.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

We get quite a few, but not every day. I just hang up. Unfortunately our mobile signal isn't great either, although both O2 and Vodafone before them tell me I have a full strength signal. When I insist I haven't, they tell me that nobody will guarantee a signal indoors. So that's OK then. I'll go outside in the rain when I want to make a call. What happened to customer service?

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Hi Jill

Is that with all providers?? Just asking.

Annie
                        Yes Annie it is.
                        Jill

Comment

These nuisance calls really are a pain in the proverbial.

We used to get several a day, and often on the hour.......a bit odd!

I’ve long since used up the phone memory for blocking call numbers, so had to resort to unblocking the early ones to make room for recent ones! Otherwise if we don’t recognise the number, and some can be (fake) local, we leave the phone to ring and ring! We are supposed to be on the TPS list.

But earlier this year we started leaving the answer phone on permanently and the calls soon cut off and now we find the number of them has greatly reduced...fingers crossed!

Now there’s just the problem of the increased spam emails, particularly since the pandemic started!

Comment

Strangely enough we have had several of these calls over the last 2/3 weeks and they always say it is BT ( who is not our provider anyway ) so I just hang up, if it becomes a problem I won't be quite so polite, more and more I am tending to use my mobile which costs much less a month than the landline which we are seriously thinking about getting rid of it as it is hardly used these days.
                            Jo

Comment

I have just been chatting to a neighbour, who told me that she had a call from 'BT' at 8 am this morning (as she did yesterday morning). Whilst we were having a cuppa together this afternoon, her phone rang but nobody was there. She suspected it was the same scammers, albeit she is not with BT either.

I can't help wondering how successful these crooks are because they certainly are persistent.
                              Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X