• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you a sole trader?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you a sole trader?

Good morning.
    I’m feeling quite weird this morning.
    No work for me. I’ve got my list of things to do to keep my brain busy, with breaks for exercise and mental wellbeing.

I keep seeing social media posts from self employed sole traders. Here’s my comment on one just now;

Self employed sole traders need to go further than copying and pasting our situation on social media

Comment on every Boris Johnson, Welsh assembly government (or relevant), business Wales (or relevant), relevant industry body and Martin Lewis social media posts
    Put our plight to Piers Morgan as he reads his comments on Instagram and Twitter

Email your situation to your MP; I have!

Email your situation to the chancellor; I have!

Sign the change .org petitions; I have!

We need to stand up and shout not just panic amongst ourselves.

We need to fight this, by being heard not just moaning amongst ourselves.

If you can run a business all by yourself with all the blood, sweat and tears you can also stand up and fight for yourself!!
    You’ve got this now do it!!

A bit cheeky me putting this here, but if it helps one sole trader in their dispair then it’s worth it. After all there is an Off topic/grumbles section 😤

77DB8A6C-5837-4E41-B498-05447927E1F8.jpeg Hope this helps you to know. Have family in the same position so understand your concerns. Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Jenkin, EA View Post
      77DB8A6C-5837-4E41-B498-05447927E1F8.jpeg Hope this helps you to know. Have family in the same position so understand your concerns. Jen
      I hadn’t see that yet so Thankyou.

My equivalent in an employed position would be receiving £1900 I’m offered £380

My 20 years old employed daughter who earns more than £7000 less than me has come home currently earning £1000 more than me.

The thought of filing a universal credit form breaks my heart. Let’s see why today brings 🤞 xx

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post

I hadn’t see that yet so Thankyou.

My equivalent in an employed position would be receiving £1900 I’m offered £380

My 20 years old employed daughter who earns more than £7000 less than me has come home currently earning £1000 more than me.

The thought of filing a universal credit form breaks my heart. Let’s see why today brings 🤞 xx
        Fingers crossed for you and all the other self employed.
        x

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Fingers crossed for you and all the other self employed.
          x
          Thank you Mrs M x

Comment

Hi Cymrucruiser yes fingers crossed for you and the 5 million others.Other countries have done it so we should too.
            My main role is self employed.Im fortunate to still have some redundancy but having to dip into it.Plenty of people much worse off than me.
            Universal credit increases haven't kicked in yet and prices are shooting up.

Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 23rd March 2020, 01:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Im a self employed Bricklayer so i share your worries, i am currently sitting at home self isolating as my wife who is a community mental health nurse has the virus, from my point of view the government has not made things clear in my case, its all about money!! he keeps telling the building sites to stay open when there is simply no way you can work with safe practice (2m distance) canteens and well being and health and safety is compromised beyond measure, still no clarity on any help available to us, stay safe everyone as this is a very unpleasant illness at its best

Comment

This is an extract from an e-mail from Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert, hopefully help is coming. The Telegraph also had an article published last night stating Sunak is set to follow Scandinavian lead with help for 5 million self-employed. Jen AFAB8B00-0374-4EAC-B502-F9BCDF002166.jpeg

Comment

Hubby is self employed and is now acting as my house painter of everything at present. He previously worked as an employee for over 25 years paid PAYE, full NI but that doesn’t count. He has never been off sick never mind claimed benefits.

I wrote to our local MSP who brought it up in Westminster this week.

We have signed more petitions than I thought was possible.

He knows when lockdown and the virus is a distant memory, whenever that will be, he can phone up his pupils and they will take up their driving lessons again but we have to be able to afford to live till then. The self employed ‘hand out’ will not accept applications till beginning of June! How does he expect the self employed to eat, pay bills etc? They have been treated like 3rd class citizens. Disgusting
                  Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 27th March 2020, 10:16 PM.
                  don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                    Hubby is self employed and is now acting as my house painter of everything at present. He previously worked as an employee for over 25 years paid PAYE, full NI but that doesn’t count. He has never been off sick never mind claimed benefits.

I wrote to our local MSP who brought it up in Westminster this week.

We have signed more petitions than I thought was possible.

He knows when lockdown and the virus is a distant memory, whenever that will be, he can phone up his pupils and they will take up their driving lessons again but we have to be able to afford to live till then. The self employed ‘hand out’ will not accept applications till beginning of June! How does he expect the self employed to eat, pay bills etc? They have been treated like 3rd class citizens. Disgusting
                    Government was never going to please everyone. However I particularly feel for those who have just started sel-employment.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Government was never going to please everyone. However I particularly feel for those who have just started sel-employment.

Annie
                      The government is not pleasing 99% of self employed. They could have just gave out a flat rate or the equivalent of 40 hours on basic or living wage which would have been equal for everyone and more importantly they could have started payments by end of month.
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

The government is not pleasing 99% of self employed. They could have just gave out a flat rate or the equivalent of 40 hours on basic or living wage which would have been equal for everyone and more importantly they could have started payments by end of month.
                        I have 2 nephews who are self employed and are impacted.

Alas it is not 1 size fits all. Some trade associations have been supportive.

They were never going to please everyone.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Richard, colwyn bay View Post
                          Im a self employed Bricklayer so i share your worries, i am currently sitting at home self isolating as my wife who is a community mental health nurse has the virus, from my point of view the government has not made things clear in my case, its all about money!! he keeps telling the building sites to stay open when there is simply no way you can work with safe practice (2m distance) canteens and well being and health and safety is compromised beyond measure, still no clarity on any help available to us, stay safe everyone as this is a very unpleasant illness at its best
                          Hi Richard
                          nice to see your posting. How is your wife now?

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post

Hi Richard
                            nice to see your posting. How is your wife now?
                            Thank you for asking, she is well now thanfully. and back to work, hope you are all fine and well

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X