• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tunnel v Ferry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunnel v Ferry

Does anyone know why itineraries which state a crossing will be via Euro Tunnel often get changed to using P&O Ferries?

Our Danube cruise was originally going to have a crossing with the tunnel, but now, just a couple of weeks before we go it has been amended and we are to go on a ferry. we will be starting out a bit earlier, apparently to ensure there is sufficient time for the required security checks.
    It has been a long time since we last did the channel crossing, so we are a bit out of touch with procedures.

Originally posted by Mariers2, Rushden View Post
    Does anyone know why itineraries which state a crossing will be via Euro Tunnel often get changed to using P&O Ferries?

Our Danube cruise was originally going to have a crossing with the tunnel, but now, just a couple of weeks before we go it has been amended and we are to go on a ferry. we will be starting out a bit earlier, apparently to ensure there is sufficient time for the required security checks.
    It has been a long time since we last did the channel crossing, so we are a bit out of touch with procedures.
    Not a clue but capacity or price could be reason??

i mention price because I cancelled a river cruise with Riviera Travel because they changed my Eurostar arrangements simply because of a price hike.

Good Luck

Annie

Comment

I have not used the tunnel, in fact if it was included in an itinerary we would not be going! We cross the Channel from Portsmouth to St Malo and security has not been a problem up to now. About every tenth car is pulled out for inspection and passports checked at the dock gates. I can't speak for P&O ferries, but Brittany ferries are very good. I hope your journey is uneventful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mariers2, Rushden View Post
        No idea. I bet it's cheaper for them!

On a positive note: The Al A Carte restaurant on most ferries is very good. I normally go straight in and you have your table for the duration of the crossing. They tend to be uncrowded compared to the café facilities.

The ferries are becoming more like cruise ships as the years pass.
        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

[QUOTE=Malcolm, Essex;n1275638

The ferries are becoming more like cruise ships as the years pass.[/QUOTE]

..........and many cruise ships become more like ferries.

Wilba

Comment

Last Oct I was due to go via the tunnel by Express Coach overnight to Lake Como as stated on my paperwork, it was only when I arrived at Stop 24 in Kent and boarded my resort coach, i was informed we would now be going via the Ferry (my preference) due to problems with the tunnel, which I understand is a regular problem. My return was via the tunnel.
            Dont think it's anything to do with price more to do with problems at the tunnel, it did not affect the price of my crossing. Train takes approx 20 minutes, ferry 90 minutes.
            On our return via the tunnel we all had to get off coach and show our passport at passport control in France, there were about 10 desks open, just showed my passport, was asked where I had travelled from, it took about 5 minutes.
            Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 13th July 2019, 10:32 PM.
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

..........and many cruise ships become more like ferries.
              That's funny!
              See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X