• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A grim milestone!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A grim milestone!

Just watching CNN at the moment and it is breaking my heart to see that the number of deaths from Covid19 in the states will hit 250,000 in the next few hours. It is horrifying to see the numbers going up and up while the Idiot in Chief just goes out playing golf or spreading his lies on Twitter. I couldn’t believe what I was reading about what his chosen pandemic guru Dr Atlas (a radiologist not an infectious diseases expert by the way) told older Americans that they Should meet up with their relatives for Thanksgiving as it could be their last. Well, I would imagine that if they do meet up with their relatives this Thanksgiving, it most certainly will be their last one. As it is I’m not even thinking of doing my Thanksgiving dinner for my family till we are allowed to mix more than our babysitting bubble.

I really feel for members of my family back home as this is probably a bigger deal for most Americans than Christmas is believe it or not. My British hubby loves it because unlike Christmas it is all about Family, friends and Food without the commercial aspect associated with Christmas these days.

Take care and stay well please! Helen

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
    Just watching CNN at the moment and it is breaking my heart to see that the number of deaths from Covid19 in the states will hit 250,000 in the next few hours. It is horrifying to see the numbers going up and up while the Idiot in Chief just goes out playing golf or spreading his lies on Twitter. I couldn’t believe what I was reading about what his chosen pandemic guru Dr Atlas (a radiologist not an infectious diseases expert by the way) told older Americans that they Should meet up with their relatives for Thanksgiving as it could be their last. Well, I would imagine that if they do meet up with their relatives this Thanksgiving, it most certainly will be their last one. As it is I’m not even thinking of doing my Thanksgiving dinner for my family till we are allowed to mix more than our babysitting bubble.

I really feel for members of my family back home as this is probably a bigger deal for most Americans than Christmas is believe it or not. My British hubby loves it because unlike Christmas it is all about Family, friends and Food without the commercial aspect associated with Christmas these days.

Take care and stay well please! Helen
    Well, that milestone has been reached in the last few minutes folks. Words fail me.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

Starting to sound like we are going to be allowed out for Christmas. Only problem is for each day with no restrictions, 5 days lockdown needed to get the level back.
      Personally I don't think a few days at christmas is worth another 2 or 3 weeks lockdown in January.

Can't see anything improving in the US until Trump moves out.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
        Starting to sound like we are going to be allowed out for Christmas. Only problem is for each day with no restrictions, 5 days lockdown needed to get the level back.
        Personally I don't think a few days at christmas is worth another 2 or 3 weeks lockdown in January.

Well, before he moves out he appears determined to light as many fires as he can to make things harder for Biden to deal with. On top of everything else he is firing people left, right and centre if they disagree with him on anything or if they acknowledge that Biden won the election. He is also going to allow the big petrochemical companies to pick out their preferred piece of pristine land in Alaska for drilling. This landscape is home to an incredibly diverse number of animals and is one of the few unspoilt regions in the country. If these areas are allowed to be developed (destroyed in my opinion) they will never recover.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

That film of Trump doing the thumbs up to supporters as he went off to play golf yet again turned my stomach.

And what about Rudy Giuliani? He's as unhinged as Trump, ranting on Twitter about voter fraud and making a fool of himself in Court.

Comment

Big number big country.

Still lower rate that the UK and their case mortality rate is also lower.

Comment

I agree with you, but then I'm not on my own and/or with family hundreds of miles away, I don't have an elderly relative who might not see another Christmas and I don't have anyone close who lives in a nursing or care home.

Let those who wish to spend Christmas with loved ones do so, in small numbers. Having witnessed the distress this lockdown has caused, I'm prepared to pay any lockdown penalties for these folk and I'll bet the loved ones will be prepared to face any consequences if it means maybe one last Christmas.

Comment

A few weeks ago, someone interviewed on CNN pointed out how the US covid deaths compared with the deaths of US military personnel in various past conflicts.

For example, the US now has more covid deaths than military personnel deaths in the Vietnam War, Korean War and WW1 combined. (A few more conflicts could be added to that figure now that the death toll has hit a quarter of a million - chuck in the Iraq War and Afghanistan, for example, and we're still well short!)

I do think that if the covid deaths being reported were, instead, troops dying in some war abroad, we would have had some spectacular rhetoric from Trump and a lot more outrage from many of his supporters.

It's almost surreal that just a few months ago Trump was saying this was all a fuss about nothing and there were just a handful of Covid cases in the US and no one was very ill.

Even since his own brush with the illness he has remained more interested in his own image and re-election than in the sickness and death that is there for all to see. So much for pledging to protect the American people.

Comment

Trouble is, there is no end in sight. Staying in for a few days, has no real effect, because as soon as you are back out, it starts up again. People need a break, they need Christmas ................................Carol

Comment

Personally I don't think a few days at Christmas is worth another 2 or 3 weeks lockdown in January.

We don't agree very often but I am with you on this one. A little pain for a little longer is better than a lot more pain later. Besides, the virus doesn't know it is Christmas and will carry on doing it's work as normal. Granny on her own or not. Sadly.

It is said most infections are via family members so why assist it with a big family gathering?

Comment

Personally I'd much rather spend Christmas on my own than have another lockdown. When you look at cities like Leicester which has been under some form of restriction from the beginning and still has one of the highest infection rates in the country, you can't help but wonder how effective these measures have been.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

Trouble is, there is no end in sight. Staying in for a few days, has no real effect, because as soon as you are back out, it starts up again. People need a break, they need Christmas ................................Carol
                        The end is a vaccine.

Would those that want a family gathering because they need one, or because it could be Granny's last, agree to isolation for 2 weeks after.
                        Those of us that can wait a few months carry on in January so that shops and businesses, peoples livelihoods may survive.

I know pie in the sky Those that want a get together ar christmas will also be those complaining about isolation or a lockdown in January

Comment

I suspect they will offer some form of relaxing of the rules for a few days over Christmas, what price will we pay in January, who knows?

I am sure that the current mockdown is not having much impact, our numbers locally are still rising

John

Comment

We've occasionally been away over Christmas.

In those cases, we've left the Christmas tree and decorations up and just pretended it was Christmas much later in January, inviting relatives to celebrate with us then.

I love Christmas but I would be quite capable of pretending it was Christmas on another date.

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
                              We've occasionally been away over Christmas.

In those cases, we've left the Christmas tree and decorations up and just pretended it was Christmas much later in January, inviting relatives to celebrate with us then.

I love Christmas but I would be quite capable of pretending it was Christmas on another date.
                              A summer christmas will be fine

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X