• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Titanic Script game - What's it all about?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Titanic Script game - What's it all about?

The Titanic Script game is a forum community project that you can keep adding to as it grows. I've got a copy of the original screenplay for the movie Titanic and will be posting new scenes to it every so often. The idea is then for the forum members to come along and translate, (to the best of their abilities), the script into Elizabethan or Shakespearian English. You can take certain liberties with the scene directions, (feel free for instance to make it a sail ship rather than a steam ship or change a gun to a knife), but the characters and the 'gist' of their speech cannot be changed, (so if Rose should be saying no you can't change it to a yes).

Feel free to translate as much or as little of the scene as you want, (you don't have to do a whole scene to take part). The point is then to comment and discuss on each others translations as to which work best until we end up with a brand new Shakespeare play - courtsey of the cruise dot forum.

Have fun with it and if you've any questions feel free to post them here.
    Last edited by James, Cruise.co.uk; 30th November 2012, 11:51 AM.

Should be fun........Ho Ho Ho...........

Comment

Originally posted by James, Cruise.co.uk View Post
      The Titanic Script game is a forum community project that you can keep adding to as it grows. I've got a copy of the original screenplay for the movie Titanic and will be posting new scenes to it every so often. The idea is then for the forum members to come along and translate, (to the best of their abilities), the script into Elizabethan or Shakespearian English. You can take certain liberties with the scene directions, (feel free for instance to make it a sail ship rather than a steam ship or change a gun to a knife), but the characters and the 'gist' of their speech cannot be changed, (so if Rose should be saying no you can't change it to a yes).

Feel free to translate as much or as little of the scene as you want, (you don't have to do a whole scene to take part). The point is then to comment and discuss on each others translations as to which work best until we end up with a brand new Shakespeare play - courtsey of the cruise dot forum.

Have fun with it and if you've any questions feel free to post them here.
      Having looked at Scene 1 - it is very long and too much 'background'. I like the concept but would probably be more likely to 'have a go' in bite size chunks during the odd half hour or so. It looks like hard work to assimilate and translate into ye olde english at first glance.
      There again - when you look at film scripts - the actual narration is not that long - it is the background and staging that fills the plot.

Now................what was the name of that first submarine - not the Nautilus - umm - oh yes The Turtle - hence the term 'turing turtle' I presume!

Comment

I thought that as well but it's just the first scene - Most of the rest is script - Just need to get to the bit with Rose and Jack

Comment

On an un-related note Shakespeare was famous for not giving scene directions so if you think you can shorten them without losing much - go for it

Comment

Shouldn't you be writing the scripts in iambic pentameter? ...carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
              Shouldn't you be writing the scripts in iambic pentameter? ...carol
              haha James, you should change the font too and type it all in something like 'Shakespearean Romeo' script. Or did I mean 'Alfa Romeo' script....

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
              X