• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Answer a question with a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You certainly would! When I've been in our local hospital, the wifi works well, I could be in constant
    touch with friends and family via email on phone or other device. Also there is a TV in each
    two-bedded ensuite ward - obviously only connected to Spanish stations but that is understandable.
    So if they can do it here, they should be able to do it there, shouldn't they?

Comment

You would think so. I suspect our NHS has too many chiefs and not nearly enough Indians. Hospitals were better run when the senior surgeon and physician looked after medical matters and matron and sister tutor dealt with nursing and patient care. Then they put the bean counters in charge didn’t they?

Comment

Ain't that the truth! I think that with them, there is more money wasted then ever is usefully
        spent. Unfortunately, that is the way of the world now, and I can't see it going back. In fact
        because of Covid and lockdowns, I can imagine very soon going back to the very rich as the
        'Lords of the Manor', and the rest of us being mere serfs. What say you?

Comment

Yes, that’s about the size of it. When Alison was looking to change her job she was head hunted by an agency looking to recruit a procurement director for the NHS. I said don’t go there and for once she listened to mum. I think she’s quite glad she did. You wouldn’t want to be involved would you?

Comment

Could be a case of History repeating itself. Somebody must have said only those with money have knowledge so they should be the rulers. When you consider how many were the redult of inbreeding, it's hardly surprising they produced idiots. That ics pppprobably why education of the masses was reduced to a level lower than the normal,so there was less chance of poorer ppeople from using their brains and working their was to the iop, do you think?

Comment

I would defend the right of anyone with money to spend it as they wish. If that is on their children’s’ education so be it. Today’s curriculum caters to the middle ground. The right students struggle to stay interested and the slower just get further behind. Wasn’t it better with grammar, secondary modern and technical colleges?

Comment

I certainly think that educational system was much better - and catered to everyone's level
                of knowledge and/or skills. My grammar school 'diversified' when you got to the 4th and 5th
                years, with 3 options. Mainstream studies for those who wished to go on to higher education,
                a Pre-Nursing Course for those who wished to go into hospital work, and Business Studies
                (Shorthand/Typing/Accounts for those interested in office work. I was in the latter, and the
                school had such a good reputation, that almost all businesses recruited their office staff from
                there.
                Marie, I also agree with you re. the rich/poor divide. And when you think that most of our
                Government went to Eton, where their idea of a 'jolly jape' is to burn a £50 note in front of a
                homeless person, and playing the highly intelligent game of 'soggy biscuit', then I despair.
                Am I alone in that view?

Comment

The jolly japes you mention are a big improvement on the inner city kids who think it’s a joke to set fire to a homeless person. Each section of the younger generation get drunk and make their own amusement. Wouldn’t it be great if the punishment could fit the crime?

Comment

Absolutely, I think that should be introduced, twofold, and broadcast on primetime TV
                    That would be more of a deterrent than the wishy-washy verbal slap on the wrist that
                    is all that exists at the moment, wouldn't it?

Comment

Yes, I don advocate national Service, the army wouldn’t want them. But boot camp might work, don’t you think?

Comment

Boot camp is an excellent idea. But they'd complain about their 'ooman rights' wouldn't they?

Comment

They would just have to check any rights at the door. Haven’t they forfeited them?

Comment

I firmly believe that if you are convicted of a crime you should forfeit all rights except
                            for very basic food, water and shelter. After all these years, it should be obvious that
                            rehabilitation doesn't work, and a huge percentage of criminials are recidivists. Therefore
                            come down on them like a ton of bricks, so they learn that crime DOES NOT pay, and
                            just earns them a slap on the wrist or a short 'holiday' at the taxpayer's expense - plus
                            the added expense of keeping their families. I have heard that anyone in the forces who
                            experienced time in the 'glasshouse', never went back a second offence. Worth looking
                            into?

Comment

Definitely worth looking into. I’m sure there are enough ex company sergeant majors to fill the jobs. I mean, prison isn’t even like Porridge now is it?

Comment

No, more like old-style Butlins! And I have heard that some ageing 'career criminals' deliberately commit
                                another crime so they can get sent back, as it is is 'too hard' in the outside world. Beggars belief, doesn' it?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X