• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Answer a question with a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not likely. I suppose the guns are socially distanced, but I’ll bet they travel four to a car and enjoy a drink together afterwards. Isn’t fox hunting still illegal? I thought only drag hunting was allowed now. Our local hunt the Atherstone went into liquidation sometime last year. I expect others will follow. There is bound to be a knock on effect for the local community. Isn’t that always the case?

Comment

When you think about it, each layer falls on the one below, and unfortunately we on the bottom layer have nobody else to fall on; yet, when things are built it's usually the strongest layer that is at the bottom. So why are we putting up with all the pressure from above?

Comment

It has been that way since the Romans invaded. It makes nonsense of the expression”the cream rises to the top”. Isn’t there also an expression ‘c**p floats’? Or is that just my South African friends saying?

Comment

Not heard that one, but bador stale eggs float as well. Another saying is "Rot starts from the head."

For some reason the 8 lettered word post is not recognising my change. It still shows your last entry, but I have checked 3 times and my change to Deserved is there, just not recognised in the list.
          Do you believe in the supernatural at all to explain peculiar events?

Comment

Yes, certain things have no explanation. I believe I have a telepathic connection to my daughter. When we play board games that require partners, we are banned from being on the same team. Alan less so, but we did well with giant Pictionary on the cruises. Do you play board games?

Comment

At one time I did, then I found Patience ( which Americans called Solitaire) on line. Quiz questions appear in my emails, though some originate in the US,and their answers are not always the same as ours.

Years ago I came upon some pieces of triangular tiles, rather like dominoes, of ivory and black, which must have been part of some game; I never found out any more about them and my interest dwindled over the years.I learned the basic chess figures and the way they were allowed to move, but at the time there was nobody to practice with, so that also fell by the wayside. My love of reding has stayed withme and my tastes have broadened considerably. The only type of book I don't go for are Cowboy fiction and War stories. My english teacher had such a strong effect on me,there are times I find I get cross the way some words are spelled out,wrong tenses and other grammatical changes; instead of keeping to the original way, someone decided that if enough people used the wrong spelling, it became the accepted way. Does the word "inapt" make you cringe and want to shout "Inept"?

Comment

Yes, poor spelling, grammar and punctuation make me cross. Even teachers make basic mistakes. A colleague at work used to mark letters sent from her daughter’s school and send them back.

we have the game called Triominoes with the triangular tiles. We have the usual Trivial pursuit and other quiz games. Alison and Rob bring a new game at Christmas. We both read and like you I avoid war and westerns. I don’t like Catherine Cookson or Danielle Steele but I enjoy Janet Evanovitch. I have enjoyed Colin Forbes books, but I think he is dead now. At the moment .I’m reading Sandi Tokvig’s, Between the Stops. What are you reading at the moment?

Comment

At present I have several Kindle books, enjoying a flight of fancy as a change from serious novels.Humans getting involved with Greek gods, or vampires, they are like adult versions of fairy tales. The books about Inspector Banks are another choice. Sometimes I find a book I enjoyed had been adapted as a film, but there are often alterations which make me remember what the original plot was,and it spoils it for me.

I used to read all the Agatha Christie stories, and the only ones on TV that are just as she described Poirot and Marple are those portrayed by David Suchet and the late Joan Hickson. I watched Kenneth Branagh in the orient Express, and he made me think of Peter Sellers, rather than Poirot. That moustache could never attain the shape that Agatha gave her Poirot, could it?
                  Last edited by Mariers2, Rushden; 5th October 2020, 09:32 PM. Reason: Omitted the query

Comment

I enjoyed Kenneth Branagh’s Murder on the Orient Express. I watched it on a long haul flight, I forget where we were going. I’m sorry I won’t be able to see his Death on the Nile which is due to be released soon.

i don’t own a Kindle, I prefer my books to be carbon based. I love books and have spent hours and a small fortune in book shops over the years. My favourite is Waterstones in Nottingham where I have often done most of my Christmas shopping. Do you browse book shops?

Comment

I used to, when I was on my own, but for some reason I'm not comfortable taking a long time browsing when someone is with me; I keep worrying they are getting fed up waiting about for me. Many years ago I was with three other girls and we looked in the shops they wanted to find something, and when I was going to suggest a shop I was interested in, they decided it was time to head back for the bus to go home. Maybe that was why I didn't bother to go shopping with other people.

My book browsing is done online these days. I recently downloaded a Lidl app, and if you purchase an item that is on offer, you can get the discount price on your bill, which is ok if the things you want include their offers; I don't get caught into buying more than I intended, just to get a discount on something I did not really want, would you?

Comment

No I’m not swayed by special offers. My mum always looked for bargains and/or money off. I think if I would not buy it at full price I don’t need it on offer.

since it seems unlikely we shall see family at Christmas I think I’ll purchase gift vouchers. Garden for the men and Lakeland for the women. Is that sexist?

Comment

Men are not easy to choose gifts for. Something that is impersonal is often safer, and if you know they are interested in gardening that's safe. For women, if you know which shops they frequent, you're safe too.

For the last few years I have tended to buy if I need it, not just because it looks nice, but is not really necessary. When it comes to choosing for a particular person, I browse and if something "jumps" at me, I have been known to stand and argue with myself; my conscious says "No", but if the inner voice keeps saying "Yes", I have learned to give in, and most times the person has said it was just what she wanted.

Comment

I usually take care over buying gifts, but since we won’t see the family, and I don’t want to spend a fortune on postage, vouchers it will have to be. I’ll buy something for the niece who will be eight, but that will be it. Alison wants horsey things and Rob always wants money. I’ll make mincemeat closer to Christmas and decorate the cakes and that will be it. When .i put away the tree last Christmas I did not expect to be getting it out again. It seems that I might make it to my 70th birthday and Christmas. Isn’t that something to be grateful for?

Comment

Hang on just a minute; grateful? If it's what you prayed for, then yes! Apart from that, remember you have FOUGHT for it. However long or short our lives are, we all fight in our own way. You didn't give in, or give up.
                              what's next on your bucket list?

Comment

No bucket list. There is no point since the restrictions on activities are unlikely to change. I’d love to go away for a few days, but with the restrictions on everything from NT properties to shopping centres, we’d be the same as at home. I’m also scared of the infections returning and ending up in hospital somewhere strange. People tell me to carry on as normal. What is normal now?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X