• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Answer a question with a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That, my dear is something only you can answer. There can be many phrases that occur to you, but some could simply be excuses, and there's no need to spend time trying to pick one. you, and everyone can't change what happened yesterday, and until you have spent today doing whatever things you are doing, there's little point in worrying about what you may or may not do tomorrow, because for one thing tomorrow never comes; there's a prayer rattling around which I can't remember but it has the words "change the things that can be changed, accept what can't and wisdom to know the difference. " sounds logical, but isn't it difficult to always do?

Comment

Yesterday, today and tomorrow are all the same for me. One long round of blood tests, IVs and crap food. If anyone can suggest ways of occupying my self that involve only the use of one hand, I should be grateful. There is only so long one can sit and read, isn’t there?

Comment

That sounds as though thevarious things they need to monitor you are always doneto one hand.A lot depends on whether you have to be in bed while all of it is going on,or if you can move around a bit. if the hand used is the same one you write or hold things in, it means you are limited as to what you coud possibly do. If it is, you could try teaching yourself to write upside down or back to front. It takes a bit of concentration, but itmight help take your mind away from the usual things,. i used to do it because my grandfather could and my thoughts have always made me want todo what somebody else could. Now. i often read pieces of things from the paper my husband is looking at. it might be possible to do a jigsaw using one hand, if Alan could get one for you. Apparently the Queen has a large one and it is left for anyone toput pieces in where they belong,as they pass it by, so it could takea long time to complete it.
        You are not going to say you don't do any of those things,because you can't be bothered are you?????.

Comment

No, it is not that I can’t be bothered it is hard with a canula in one arm. Not always the same arm. Even something as simple as eating a yoghurt is difficult with only one hand. You chase it round the tray. There is no where to put a jigsaw. I can move around, but have to take the drip stand with me and we are not allowed out of our four bed bay because of isolation. I did the writing thing when I was at school and can still do it. It would be difficult now because I couldn’t hold the paper still. I’m reading a book in two days, fortunately Alison is keeping me supplied. Alan brings clean clothes every few days and takes the washing home, but he can only come as far as the ward door. It really is worse than prison. Don’t they have TV?

Comment

I had an idea you'd have done the writing bit. From what I've read of prisons, some seem to be living in the lap of luxury, compared to some of the poor people. Ieven heard of some prisoners not wanting to be released at the end of their term, because they'd had a better life inside than they could wish for outside.
            I spent most of yesterday searching for any pieces of information, letters, emails, about our aborted holiday. I had collected quite a few pieces and printed them recently, but I had to scan some to be able to use as attachments. The people at visa disputes team wanted as much evidence sent to them, and after some searching, managed to put them all into a compressed file and sent it off last evening. Now we have to wait, and I'm wondering will Iremember how I did the attachments and file compressing?

Comment

I admire your technical skills. I could manage the scanning and attachments, but it ends there.

my lovely F2 oncologist spoke to the microbiology team about my infections and it was decided I needed another day on iv then I could go home with tablets. Bless him, Will did my discharge for after my evening iv yesterday, so I didn’t need to spend another night there. It also meant I could be discharged from the ward, not the discharge lounge. The discharge lounge scares me. What is the sense in social isolation at home if they sit you in a confined space with the world, his wife and all their coughs and sneezes?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                I admire your technical skills. I could manage the scanning and attachments, but it ends there.

my lovely F2 oncologist spoke to the microbiology team about my infections and it was decided I needed another day on iv then I could go home with tablets. Bless him, Will did my discharge for after my evening iv yesterday, so I didn’t need to spend another night there. It also meant I could be discharged from the ward, not the discharge lounge. The discharge lounge scares me. What is the sense in social isolation at home if they sit you in a confined space with the world, his wife and all their coughs and sneezes?
                I suppose it's possible theythink everyone who they discharde must be completely free of any germs/bugs, whatever and their belief is anyone coming into a ward is probably bronging thins in ,thus needing isolating. ,if that makes sense.
                Thanks for calling my efforts "skills"; believe me it's hunting for instructions on line, then hopefully following them properly, and also trial and error. As with most technology, if one corrects something and everything goes right, then the solution gets forgotten because it is not practised every day, is it?

I'm still getting "invalid server error" with each post, so I have to go back and check if it has been accepted. Sometimes it's hidden and I have to click Restore. It is taking so long to go through all the posts, I am getting really fed up with it,and wonder if it's worth the hassle. Admin never answered me, so maybe they are "Working from home"?

Comment

I suspect admin are not working at all. I am also getting strange error messages. Everything takes much longer to deal with. I was blaming the hospital pathetic WiFi, but home seems the same.

we have a fairly chilly miserable day today. What is it like where you are?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                    I suspect admin are not working at all. I am also getting strange error messages. Everything takes much longer to deal with. I was blaming the hospital pathetic WiFi, but home seems the same.

we have a fairly chilly miserable day today. What is it like where you are?
                    It was cooler than it's been lately.I even had an error when I was forwarding some jokes to the regular list. My d.i.l. told us they have bought us a present because they lovw and miss us. It's a garden 3 seater with a canopy. and they want tocome and assemble it once it is delivered. The only place for it is at present occupied with a wooden table and 2 seats attached, so Ken wheeled it through to our front, where it is gravelled, among some potted plants. Isn't it great to be spolt?

Comment

Yes it is. Your new seat sounds great. I hope we get some more decent weather. Could you believe it when the papers were threatening a hosepipe ban last weekend?

Comment

Last week I reminded Ken why i always grew tomatoes in my greenhouse, because the summer I'd had them all outside during the growing phase there was hardly any rain, so we were constantly having to use tap water once the butts were depleted; when it was time for the fruits to turn red, it did nothing but pour down and much of the fruit went rotten. This year I decided to risk putting two bush and four other (Moneymaker) outside with just one in the greenhouse that hopefully grows into a vine. So far they have gone mad outside with loads of flowers, but I read that August will be a deluge month. Have I tempted fate?

Comment

Quite possibly. The only edible things we grow are cherries from two trees. We seem to get decent weather for the blossom, then high winds that remove the fruit from the trees.. I tried blueberries but they were disappointing. I sometimes grow micro greens or herbs on the kitchen window sill. They are nice and easy, Father in law grows leeks and potatoes. They seem to live on leek and potato soup in winter. Do you make tomato soup?

Comment

That reminds me of one year we were due to go on holiday, and I had quite a lot of ripe tomatoes, so I put them in a bag,and popped them in a freezer. I forgot about them after we returned and gradually they were pushed to the back of a drawer. When I finally unearthed them I had no idea what to do with them, so I made soup. It turned out very well. Now I often get a pack of cherry tomatoes and spread some over the shallow tray in the freezer and when I want some to cook with chopped peppers and mushrooms, I take some, cut them in half while still frozen and cook them.
                            For some reason I have noticed most men seem to dislike them unless they are cooked, peculiar when you read that they are very beneficial for prostrate cancer. Do men instinctively not like anything that is good for them?

Comment

I wondered that too. I add tomatoes to quite a lot of things. If one is grilling bacon how hard is it to put a few tomatoes in there too? I have the Seabourn recipe for roasted tomato soup. The trouble is it makes 36 portions! I also have the bread stick recipe. That is on my bucket list of things to do. Should be fun! I made almond tarts yesterday and Alison made scones, so we swapped a few. Alison is coming to work here tomorrow while Alan plays golf. I think that’s allowed now, isn’t it? We are doing it anyway.

Comment

My older son and his wife brought the swing seat and erected it, but it kept trying to rain.It is surprising how the garden shrinks with four of us in it, trying not to get toocloseI didn't say much, too busy just looking at them, and today Rocky rang Ken to ask if I was ok because they thought I wasn't my "effervescent" ? self. I didn't know that's how I seemed to them; I rang to confirm I was well, I just don't talk much when someone is doing a job,as it can be distracting. I've ordered a cover for the seat,so I'm hoping it won't rain too much before it comes, and Ken started varnishing the wooden table and seat combo. Do you think there will be too much temptation for us to spend time sitting around instead of keeping busy?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X