• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Answer a question with a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed. I think they work best together along with Radio 2’s traffic reports. Often the satnav will give a detour that is miles out of the way by motorway, but the map shows a shorter route. Route via minor roads. Isn’t that common sense?

Comment

Yes it is. Last year. while on holiday we had followed the sat nav and gone down some roads with grass growing down the middle obviously hardly ever used. I wasn't going back that way so got out the map and found a better way back to our campsite. Had to laugh though on that hardly used road someone had put a sign out reading: Danger wild children at play please drive slowly. Isn't it nice that some people have got a sense of humour ?

Comment

Yes it is. Our RDA centre had a notice by the 5mph speed limit that read “Caution, free range kids and ponies”. You still got idiots, late for lessons, coming in at 30mph and skidding to a halt. Is it any use teaching kids to respect the rules when their arrogant parents don’t!

Comment

Had the same thing in Morrisons car park last week. A car came around the back of the car park and slammed his brakes on and just missed us as we got out the car. Some seem to think these places are race tracks to practice in. And that was at a time when people were queuing outside the shop. Have they no brains ?

Comment

None at all. Apparently speed limits have been abandoned round here. Everyone seems to be going everywhere at 50 mph. The lanes and villages are dangerous places to be. Even in residential areas delivery men are driving on the wrong side of the road. I foresee a lot of RTAs when/if we get back to normal. Will we have forgotten how to drive?

Comment

It's definitely a man thing. I always reversed into a space if at all possible, the way I was taught; it's easier to see where you are going when you leave the car park. When we only had one car, we took it in turns, . I used to make a list of the names of a few roads before reaching the turning we needed and warn when the last one had been passed. On the way home I drove and did my own navigation, because my OH said he couldn't read the map when we were moving because the atlas moved about too much. I found he took ages shunting into position a lot, and he stayed more or less in the same direction. I did try suggesting the idea was to turn the steering wheel more, and go back slower, but gave up in the end, .I often got out of the car before he started backing in. One thing I find strange, though, is that some makes of vehicle have the reverse position close to the first gear, and if the gate is narrow, it's so easy to put the gear shift into the wrong slot, isn't it?

Comment

Hadn’t thought of that. I haven’t had a manual car for ages. I love my little automatic hybrid. It is easy to park, but the boot holds all my shopping. What more could I wasn’t?

Comment

I remember my first wheels. A push bike and I loved it. It was lovely to get from A to B faster than walking. I suppose that is where we get our first speed from. But is not as dangerous as driving a car at speed. What is this obsession with man and fast cars?

Comment

No idea but they do seem to like their muscle cars don’t they? My first car was a Ford Anglia that had belonged to my uncle. It was a dreadful starter and I had to go out early in the morning so that .i could get the bus if the car wouldn’t start. Most people love their first car. I hated mine. When we got married we had a Mark I Cortina, I loved that one. When we had Alison I think her prom cost more than the car had. Happy days?

Comment

Husbands first car was a Ford Anglia. I used to think he was being gentlemanly when he opened the door for me. But he did so in the hope it wouldn't fall off. And when I was sitting in the passenger seat and it rained my feet got wet because of a hole in the wing. Haven't we come a long way since those days?

Comment

We certainly have, but would we have appreciated what we have now if we hadn’t had modest beginnings? If I pause to think about it, .I’ve had quite a privileged life.

Comment

I often wonder if people born into money ever appreciate anything. If they have never had to do without, how can they ?

Comment

I don’t think they do. Do you think that is why young people are quick to walk out on marriages because they have not had to work at anything?

Comment

I'm having a secret smile as I listen to OH getting cross with a crow strutting about in the bird bowl in the garden. I suggested it was keeping cool, but the complaint was that the water is going everywhere. Is it worth asking what was the point in filling it up in the first place??

Comment

Not really. He’ll fill it up again I’m sure. We have a pond with a waterfall that the birds use as a shower. Sometimes as many as a dozen sparrows on different levels. We have a pair of robins this spring. Lots of blue tits in the hawthorn tree, a pair of magpies and the ever present pigeons of course. Do you have any unusual birds?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X