• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Answer a question with a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is nothing any of us can do but try to contain the virus. Lockdown is appearing to be effective in other countries. If Joe Public had done as asked and voluntarily socially distanced and not crowded supermarkets etc. Perhaps this situation could have beenavaoided. Who knows?

Comment

The trouble with people is: as soon as the government starts to give our warnings people start panicking and start hording food as if there is going to be a shortage of it. Like in wartime. But the only shortage is because of panic buying making things worse for the people that don't In Morrisons yesterday there was very little meat on the shelves and no fresh milk. Things seem to be getting worse not better. Don't they ?

Comment

We have been very lucky with grocery shopping and except for flour and yeast have obtained everything we needed. I’m being a bit inventive with some recipes, but they have been OK so far. We have had milk delivered in glass bottles for ages, but now it seems the milk rounds are full to capacity. I hope, when this is over, people stay with their milkman. Availability of eggs has been variable but we have a small poultry farm a few minutes away, so we are OK there too. Fresh pasta had been readily available, why hoard dried stuff? The amount of food that is past its use by date, some of it still OK to eat, and has been thrown away is appalling. Shouldn’t these people be fined at least the value of the stuff in the bin?

Comment

I hate to see food waste. What I can't eat if our dog can eat it he does. If not and I think the garden birds will eat it I give it too them. But usually I don't have much food waste at all. I hate to think what some peoples bins smell like after food has been festering in them. Unhygienic isn't it?

Comment

Unhygienic, uneconomic and selfish. We don’t have a dog, but the garden birds get scraps and since we have two magpies and squirrels they eat most things. Recipes such as peanut butter cookies and banana loaf have been revived. I’d forgotten how nice home made coconut macaroons are and no flour needed. Have you been able to get flout and/or yeast?

Comment

Yes, manage to get some from Morrisons over a week ago. They were just stocking up the shelves with flour again. But they are still running out of things. It beggars belief you would think people by now would have enough stuff to eat all the stockpiling they have been doing. Wouldn't you?

Comment

The other day I posted on a forum that we are fighting a germ war, and somebody answered it was not a war, but a crisis. I was alluding to the possibility of doing as we had in the '39-'45 war. Apart from rationing there was make do and mend. hopefully it won't last as long, but I can't see many of the young ones darning and patching their clothes, when they already walk about wearing jeans with so many rips and tears, I often think it's hope that stops them from falling to pieces.
                Just lately I have been tuned into Radio 4, as there are quite a lot of interesting items on it. Do you still frequent "Auntie Beeb" ?

Comment

We listen to Radio 2 in the car, for the traffic reports. Hardly necessary now. It seems the main danger is the muntjac deer.

i think you are right about germ warfare. I’m convinced we Re not being given the full story. OK, I might be paranoid, but just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you, does it?

Comment

Maybe the countries are at war with the oil barons? They do have monopoly over everything. Maybe this virus is just a front to hide what is going off behind the scenes? Whatever is happening the petrol sales will be down because very few people are using their cars. Even the buses are running empty most ot the time. Do you think bus services will be cut to the minimum soon ?

Comment

I expect so, they can’t run empty for ever. Perhaps just run early mornings and evenings for those poor souls that have to work. I remember when Alison worked in HR for a major supermarket she chartered buses to get people to a distribution warehouse during a transport dispute. Perhaps a feasibility study could be done to see if this would work for the NHS?

Comment

Apparently some of the small petrol stations are thinking of closing because of people not buy petrol from there. I dare say the ones shopping at supermarkets will get their petrol from those supermarkets that sell it and not bother with the independent ones. Supermarkets these days have all irons in the fire. Clothes , electrical goods and household goods. Is it no wonder the markets are dying?

Comment

Free parking too. But, as only food shops are open, shouldn’t we be glad supermarkets stock other goods? I hope if there is ever an end to this independent retailers will survive.

Comment

There are some other shops open our way, B&M, Wilko's, and a Pound Shop. All three sell more than food. Could that be unfair to other shops that only sell certain things?

Comment

Seems unfair that they can stay open, but garden centres who also sell food and pet products have been closed. Do you get the impression that they are making it up as they go along?

Comment

I don't know about you, but I find I am getting a new way of looking at things,when reading the various comments people are making. There could be people going about who may be carriers and not know it, and there could also be some who say they are isolating, but do not have the symptoms. as though hiding in case. I think that could be termed "self protecting".

We were supposed to be doing a river cruise on the Rhone at the beginning of May. Shearings have joined with A Rosa criuses; we saw the cruise line had stopped, when Germany and France closed borders. At present Shearings are saying they are not giving refunds, but offering exchange dates and vouchers, because they cannot give so many refunds. It seems to me that in business, so much of their funding comes from shareholders, they can't afford to pay back customers, but I feel that if somebody does business with someone else's money, it's verging on fraud if they don't have back up. Why not use some of the profit salted away?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X