• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Answer a question with a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you get older things start to wear out one by one. Its like a car engine it doesn't last forever. There is only one cure for old age. Isn't there?

Comment

True. There is very little to recommend old age. We are not meant to reach such an advanced age are we?

Comment

I'm not sure how to answer that; as I'm moving towards my 87th this year and still have a pretty good memory, with marbles intact, I do not know what "old" feels like, so am I into "advanced age"?

Comment

No because the doctors keep you alive with pills after pills till eventually there is nothing left of working parts to your body. The longer you live the more you suffer. Don't you think?

Comment

Yes, I have seen family members suffer dreadfully in their last years. Those who are able to remain well and active are very lucky aren’t they?

Comment

Yes they are and free from pain. But eventually something gets you. My dad went in his sleep. Isn't that the best way to go?

Comment

I can only hope!

the in laws want to visit. Is there a tactful way to say I can’t be bothered to entertain them?

Comment

You don't HAVE to entertain them!! Tell them where the tea/ coffee is and let them help themselves, unless you prepare Alan to do it for you, after all they are his parents, aren't they?

Comment

They are indeed, but who will be making up the bed, vacuuming the bedroom, shopping and cooking? Dad needs to be entertained, he’s very demanding. Do you think I could plead fatigue and an afternoon nap?

Comment

I member when I can out of hospital after giving birth to my son and he wasn't sleeping well at all. I was very tired and when husband came home from work I went to bed to try and get some sleep before another night of not having much. I had only been in bed around 30 minutes when his parents came to visit to see our baby. Husband got me up because they had come to visit. Why?

Comment

I have no idea. I hope he only did that once.

I hope the weather is OK and we can get out. Today is clean house day, as things have been allowed to slide a bit (a lot). I don’t want them to think I can’t cope do I?

Comment

No I suppose you don't but when you are not well they should understand and make allowances don't you think ?

Comment

Yes, they should. Alan and I have a game to guess what they will say first. My bet is “what have you done to your hair. It’s a mess” Alan favours “your lawn needs mowing, why don’t you pull up the weeds?” Alternatively it could be “where are all your plant containers? You are paying how much for a new patio? I could have done that”. Have you any suggestions?

Comment

You may not care to try my suggestion, but here goes. You don't have toplead fatigue.considering all the times you have made the effort ,they probably think that is normal, soif you've never done it before,give them a surprise and imagine you are a famous actress like Gloria Swanson; lie on the sofa, or settee with a throw over your legs and just put on a "helpless, frail" look. If you don't forwarn Alan, he will probably look and behave startled,which will help the illusion. Make a few apologies,and see what follows.

I remember you saying they didn't seem to take in what you told them about being ill, so maybe the sight of you lying there and NOT running around like a blue a***d fly might just shake them up a bit. Isn't it worth a go ? ( oh, if only you had a hidden camera in the room you could play it back when they had gone)

Comment

In Laws or Outlaws as I used to call them. Always free with their comments about what you did with your own house or any other thing you might want to do. Why can't they leave you in peace to get on with your own life the way you want to live it? They wouldn't want you interfering with theirs would they?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X