• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Answer a question with a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Marie one, headmaster nil! The English teacher did mean a lot, as in many. My colleague had a daughter at the local middle school and used to send the letters that had been sent home back to the teacher concerned and corrected in red ink. I didn't allow junior staff to send out anything I hadn't proof read (and corrected). Do you think anyone corrects them now?

Comment

due to teacher cutbacks,and poor training, I'd be surprised if they could spell properly themselves, but what I said ages ago seems to be happening, so it seems the master plan of dumbing down the masses is working; back to the days when only the wealthy are considered worthy of being educated. Do you fancy the idea of the country being run by rich feeble-minded idiots??

Comment

As opposed to the feeble minded, racist idiots we have in charge now? I have realised that white Anglo-Saxon, heterosexual males are at the bottom of the pile. I have absolutely no objection to equality, but shouldn't it work for everyone?

Comment

Absolutely 100% agree with that statement Judith - equal rights, equal benefits and equal pay for equal jobs, I think most sensible folk would agree with that wouldn't they?
          sigpic
          Cruisings Cool

Comment

I would hope so, but it is not always the case. Let's not get involved in politics. Aren't there much nicer things to talk about?

Comment

It came to me suddenly just how much difference a space makes, where words are concerned. I saw a photo of one of those machines used for shaping hedges, and the caption was "petrol hedge cutter." My understanding is that the machine is called a hedgecutter;(no space) and a person whose job it is to use such a machine is called a hedge cutter (with a space between the two words.)

Lateral thinking let me see that caption translated to mean a cutter for a petrol hedge. My question,therefore is, what does a petrol hedge look like???

Comment

It's the "Eats shoots and leaves" thing isn't it? The other thing that I hate is misplaced apostrophes. The afore mentioned teacher of English actually told her students that if they were unsure of the placement they should leave out the apostrophes. Shouldn't she have taught them properly?

Comment

i don't always think it's a teacher's fault ,because however well the teacher relays information, if a child doesn't WANT to learn,(sometimes it's too much trouble to listen to the teacher) then the child won't learn. Don't most children learn the subjects they find easy,and enjoy learning more,while they tend not to like the subjects that ar3 harder?

Comment

Each child (and adult) has their own strengths and weaknesses. This is why the comprehensive, one size it's all, approach to education does no one any favours. Probably also why so many high flyers, in the professions, are public school educated. There's no easy answer, is there?

Comment

A good many times,the answer is harder to give than the question is to ask, but not always. Often it depends on whether the answer is one we think someone wants to hear,or the cold truth. Isn't that where the saying ---"be careful what you ask" stems from??

Help! for some reason when i want the inverted comma,which is on key 2. I get the @ and when I press the key that has a comma and @ it types either a single or a double inverted comma.Why???

Comment

Eureka ! I finally found out that my keyboard setting had decided to change itself to the US keyboard,so I highlighted the UK option and it worked Phew. Are we being taken over, or what??

Comment

I don't know why. Why do computers do anything? I worked with the wretched machines for 20 years and now I hardly use ours, except for minutes of meetings and email. I use the iPad for the forum, and some research, but it will not run Facebook. I don't know why, but I use my phone for Facebook. I can't put pictures on the forum, but I'm OK with Facebook. Is there any logic to any of it?

Comment

Judith, I am certain that logic is not something generally known,apart from our femine brand,which is probably why it doesn't work on things designed by our "brethren". Does that make sense to you?

Comment

Yes, is it "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" thing?

Comment

Two planets reminded me of another saying about "When Two worlds Collide", but what follows on from there?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X