• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Answer a question with a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It usually comes down to the individual - some mature young, some never grow up, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by hat776, malta View Post
      Don't you think OSD and Pammy are amazing.......grandparents at 35 ? Clowi why don't you take Pammy's advice, remain aged 35
      And yes I do think youngsters (for example those aged 35) should learn that as people mature they till have lots to offer ?
      Bless you Nadya , it's good to be thought of as.. amazing.. must admit I do have to do a bit of juggling with my 35yrs, being a grandparent. :-)

Somehow my grandson has difficulty believing it too..he smiles very sweetly to humour me...Very kind,don't you think?

It took me to become a parent before I gained the confidence I have now. This I believe was born of the need to protect my children and teach
      them to have a belief in their own abilities...at least for me it was...How about you?

Comment

I lack confidence in new situations, but am fine in my 'comfort zone' - but I do envy self-confident people, as long as it is just that and not arrogance. Sometimes a fine line, isn't it?

Comment

Yes Gill,I tend to agree with you on that, arrogance is not an endearing quality at all. Like you I am confident in my comfort zone... but not enough to take centre stage anywhere... happy to watch other's hold court..so to speak.
          I used to be very feisty too, but find that in latter years I now tend to be more tolerant.Though I can still stand my corner should the need arise...... I'm saying tolerant but wonder if it's apathy... do hope it's not :-( What do you think, do we get calmer or is it just me?

Comment

Could it be that as we mature we take minor (and not so minor) mishaps in our stride ? Although I've improved I'm still far from being really self confident. Do you think it's a trait you're born with, a result of how you were brought up or something you can learn ?

Comment

I think you're born with certain traits and as we travel through life we gain others, both good and bad.
              There are three traits I try to avoid, arrogance, ignorance & hypocrisy.
              I think the older we get the more we recognise where our strengths and weaknesses lie and tend to use them to our advantage.
              One of my failing is that I sometimes talk too much but I think that's better than being miserable and anti social.
              What's your thoughts?
              Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Well OSD,if talking too much is a failing..then I too am guilty. The point is, I am a friendly person and enjoy chatting to people... and as you say, that must better than being than being " miserable and antisocial"...wouldn't you agree/

When I was growing up I came from a large extended family. Apart from my parents and siblings there were aunts uncles and cousins galore,all very closely bonded. But the family were governed by .."The Matriarch" ..my Paternal grandmother, nothing got past her. :-(
                I can't profess to having loved her ..but I had tremendous respect for her and would never have dreamt of disobeying her..whilst my... Maternal grandmother (another strong Lady) I loved dearly. I was constantly being reminded that I was a "little lady" to mind my Ps and Qs.... walk tall,be polite and well mannered at all times -and not to look down on anyone less fortunate than myself. When I married I was cautioned ..never to put a millstone around my neck..and that it was vulgar to discuss money. Bearing all this in mind I think that this
                possibly had an impact on the person "I" am, Nadya. As OSD rightly said we do "recognise our own strengths" and adjust as we age.
                Further to this I must tell you that I still do "walk tall" ..all five foot nothing of me" do you think my grandmother would approve? :-))

Comment

Chest out

Originally posted by Pammy, stourbridge View Post
                  Well OSD,if talking too much is a failing..then I too am guilty. The point is, I am a friendly person and enjoy chatting to people... and as you say, that must better than being than being " miserable and antisocial"...wouldn't you agree/

When I was growing up I came from a large extended family. Apart from my parents and siblings there were aunts uncles and cousins galore,all very closely bonded. But the family were governed by .."The Matriarch" ..my Paternal grandmother, nothing got past her. :-(
                  I can't profess to having loved her ..but I had tremendous respect for her and would never have dreamt of disobeying her..whilst my... Maternal grandmother (another strong Lady) I loved dearly. I was constantly being reminded that I was a "little lady" to mind my Ps and Qs.... walk tall,be polite and well mannered at all times -and not to look down on anyone less fortunate than myself. When I married I was cautioned ..never to put a millstone around my neck..and that it was vulgar to discuss money. Bearing all this in mind I think that this
                  possibly had an impact on the person "I" am, Nadya. As OSD rightly said we do "recognise our own strengths" and adjust as we age.
                  Further to this I must tell you that I still do "walk tall" ..all five foot nothing of me" do you think my grandmother would approve? :-))
                  Luv it.. sounds like the schools when ladies were taught to always walk with confidence , chin up and chest out
                  sigpicRob
                  Next Cruise:> QM2 2016 / My Blog robbarcruises.com

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
                    I think you're born with certain traits and as we travel through life we gain others, both good and bad.
                    There are three traits I try to avoid, arrogance, ignorance & hypocrisy.
                    I think the older we get the more we recognise where our strengths and weaknesses lie and tend to use them to our advantage.
                    One of my failing is that I sometimes talk too much but I think that's better than being miserable and anti social.
                    What's your thoughts?
                    No problem as it helps me in not worrying about what to say in a gathering so I am a good listener
                    sigpicRob

Comment

Evening Pam.
                      Speaking of 'walking tall', whenever I'm on holiday abroad or even in this country I always walk tall. If you walk with your head up it exudes confidence. If you are in unfamiliar surroundings, never look as though you're lost, even if you are.
                      Don't look like or become a victim. Do you always 'walk tall'?

Comment

Evening OSD.. I'm laughing whilst reading your post,because you sound exactly like me..the male equivalent obviously.

I clearly remember that my dad had informed guests ( at an hotel in Spain) that his daughter (me)would be arriving at 8pm , would walk
                        through the door exactly on time, looking as though I owned the place.... "and you b****y did..you proved me right" he said!
                        Now I don't particularly like walking into a strange room alone,so I focus my eyes at some point above everyone's heads thus managing to look confident. This was a trick my old headmistress taught, when we girls were singing solo or acting a part in a play. she told us to look at the clock on the back wall of the assembly room. Sooooo Thanks for that, Miss Seale !! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob, Victoria , Canada View Post
                          Luv it.. sounds like the schools when ladies were taught to always walk with confidence , chin up and chest out
                          Hi Rob.. it's been a long time since we last had contact , so to speak..about 2010 I believe!

Yes it does sound quite victorian doesn't it..but it's not "quite" that long ago ..honestly. The chest out, bit would have ben a waste of time
                          as I was as flat as Twiggy...have altered a bit since then though!! :-))

Comment

Sorry to be a killjoy Pam but have you remembered the name of the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy, stourbridge View Post
                              Hi Rob.. it's been a long time since we last had contact , so to speak..about 2010 I believe!

Yes it does sound quite victorian doesn't it..but it's not "quite" that long ago ..honestly. The chest out, bit would have ben a waste of time
                              as I was as flat as Twiggy...have altered a bit since then though!! :-))
                              Hi Pammy , yes it has been, kind of forget that it is now 2012
                              In my work I had to go out a lot and speak to medical audiences for IT training purposes as to the way they must submit electronically ones medical claims if they expected us to pay on time.
                              I would get nervous as most of them would glare at you for wasting their time and some would be munching food during a lunch time presentation. So I would normally pick someone in the audience and smile at them while talking while reminding myself they did not know what I was having to tell them. Sometimes a cartoon or joke on the overhead would help or a slide saying if I'm not finished in five minutes tell me to stop.
                              The one I did not know about till recently was I read about one nervous person who was told to imagine your audience Naked. "

One could expand that to when waiting to board for a long time on your next cruise with hundreds of others what do you imagine or see your fellow cruisers are
                              Last edited by RobBar, Canada; 29th April 2012, 08:25 PM. Reason: OSD reminds us to post a question,
                              sigpicRob

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sea Dog, Stockport View Post
                                Sorry to be a killjoy Pam but have you remembered the name of the thread?
                                Oops sorry OSD,, got carried away..told you I talked too much ..didn't I ?

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X