• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Answer a question with a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariers2, Rushden
    replied
    I'm not sure if wearing wigs has any effect on one's own hair, though when you consider some wear them all the time, perhaps they have to, because they did it for such a long time.
    My younger son came upto see us this afternoon and we sat out in the garden.He walked for the exercise, must have been a round trip of four miles, I imagine.

Normally he wears his hair extremely short, and it's just possible to see some silvery areas. Today it's longer, which I much prefer, and he has silver wings sweeping back from his temples. I thought it looked really attractive, but I dared not say so; for one thing it's probably not the sort of comment a mother makes about her son, and knowing him as I do, saying I like something is a sure way for him to get rid of it. No doubt he will once the barber reopens.

Yesterday I made a start lowering the height of a hedge which we hope will let more light into the garden, as it keeps the sun out in the early part of the day.. Do you find it easy or hard to just sit in the garden, doing nothing?

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    I’m sure there are mobile hairdressers but I’m not supposed to have anyone but family members in the house and then we have to be six feet apart. I can’t see me ever getting my hair done. Condition is not bad, probably because I’m leaving it longer between washes. It is just so sad and flat. Mousse helps a bit but only temporarily. I haven’t worn my wig because I have not been out anywhere. Was it a waste of money?

Leave a comment:

• Mariers2, Rushden
    replied
    Yes, she was sometimes known as the "Peek-a-boo" girl.
    I spmetimes put 3 drops of coconut oil in my hands and stroke through my hair. Other times I use Argan oil. They both do a good job in stopping it being flyaway,and gives a shine as well. Since I grew it ready for my hairdresser to cut and shape it ( which has had to wait due to the current position,) after towel drying, I put a little oil on my damp hair and use a brush attachment to dry the hair with a curve at the end.Are there any hairdressers that go to people's homes in your area? With protective glasses and a mask, one might be able to give you a trim and shape it for you??

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    If the forecast is correct we’ll be able to watch the grass grow. Our forsythia seemed dead, but Alan removed the old wood and it is sprouting from the roots. Might nor flower next year, but should be OK for the year after.

my hair is a disaster. After it becoming very thin on chemo it has recovered a bit, but there is no shape or style at all. It’s also very fine with no body at all. Since I’m not supposed to leave the house I have no hope of getting it done - ever.

I have heard of Veronica Lake, but she was a bit before my time. Was she the one with hair over one eye?

Leave a comment:

• Mariers2, Rushden
    replied
    Forecast is for showers and rain for the next 10 days; temperatures in the twenties, so we could have an outside shower if we take some gel with us.
    I spent the afternoon pruning the forsythia canes which I should have done as soon as the flowers had finished flowering. I gave it a good haircut, unlike mine, which ison my shoulders now. If it gets much longer, I keep thinking of the old time film actress Veronica Leke, not that I look like her. Do you remember her?

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    I think so, but not sure what you would use it for. I have apple mint, that’s quite nice. I like spear mint too. I grow nasturtiums mainly to feed caterpillars. Father in law wanted to spray them! I don’t think anything is allowed to live in his garden. I had a walk around ours today. There are still loads of cherries on the trees. I hope we don’t get more high winds. I have some dahlias need planting and some geranium cuttings needing potting on. Is it going to rain tomorrow?

Leave a comment:

• Mariers2, Rushden
    replied
    My penstemmon spread like a mad thing, its deep crimson flowers really stand out. I don't have much luck with Nastrutiums. I quite like the pappery taste of the young leaves,so that maybe why they won't grow for me. do you know if eau de cologne mint is edible?

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Not change colour, except the blue bells that set seeds which can be blue, white or pale pink. I’ve planted loads of nasturtiums but have no idea what colour they’ll be. I planted penstemons last year and the red and pink ones didn’t survive the winter. I wish I’d taken cuttings. The purple ones are quite healthy. Isn’t it disappointing when plants don’t live through the winter?

i made hot cross buns without the crosses this morning. They worked quite well. I kept some out and put some in the freezer.

Leave a comment:

• Mariers2, Rushden
    replied
    I know I'm repesting myself, but you really are amazing. i started reading your post and was thinking how much you were doing and then I saw you'd said it wans't much!!! i go for my walk first, then when we return home I get my breakfast and do my crossword and think I've done a lot. I usually have my washing machine going overnight, dating back towhen I had a timer so it rang during the cheaper rate of electricity until I changed the machine, which didn't work with a timer switch. i have to visit the bathroom between 2.0 and 5.0 a,m, so I switch on the m/s while I'm up. I go back to sleep quickly, soit doesn't cause problems.
    Yesterday I pocked some ripe raspberries, they were from the early canes,and were very small, probably due to lack of rain when they were growing. My first strawberry, too.Mypaeonies have changed colour this year; one was a pink single, but it is now much paler and the uaual multi petals, and the one in the front garden has got white blooms instead of a deeper pink. do your flowers change colour?

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    There is nothing wrong with sitting around as long a necessities get done. I have a morning routine of chores, which take me a lot longer than they used to, but once showered and dressed I clean both bathrooms, wipe round the kitchen and decide if I’m going to bake that day. If there is washing to be done I put it in the machine. I know it doesn’t sound like much, but it is more than I have been capable of in recent weeks. Aren’t we all limited by our capabilities?

i hope your cover arrives quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Mariers2, Rushden
    replied
    My older son and his wife brought the swing seat and erected it, but it kept trying to rain.It is surprising how the garden shrinks with four of us in it, trying not to get toocloseI didn't say much, too busy just looking at them, and today Rocky rang Ken to ask if I was ok because they thought I wasn't my "effervescent" ? self. I didn't know that's how I seemed to them; I rang to confirm I was well, I just don't talk much when someone is doing a job,as it can be distracting. I've ordered a cover for the seat,so I'm hoping it won't rain too much before it comes, and Ken started varnishing the wooden table and seat combo. Do you think there will be too much temptation for us to spend time sitting around instead of keeping busy?

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    I wondered that too. I add tomatoes to quite a lot of things. If one is grilling bacon how hard is it to put a few tomatoes in there too? I have the Seabourn recipe for roasted tomato soup. The trouble is it makes 36 portions! I also have the bread stick recipe. That is on my bucket list of things to do. Should be fun! I made almond tarts yesterday and Alison made scones, so we swapped a few. Alison is coming to work here tomorrow while Alan plays golf. I think that’s allowed now, isn’t it? We are doing it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Mariers2, Rushden
    replied
    That reminds me of one year we were due to go on holiday, and I had quite a lot of ripe tomatoes, so I put them in a bag,and popped them in a freezer. I forgot about them after we returned and gradually they were pushed to the back of a drawer. When I finally unearthed them I had no idea what to do with them, so I made soup. It turned out very well. Now I often get a pack of cherry tomatoes and spread some over the shallow tray in the freezer and when I want some to cook with chopped peppers and mushrooms, I take some, cut them in half while still frozen and cook them.
    For some reason I have noticed most men seem to dislike them unless they are cooked, peculiar when you read that they are very beneficial for prostrate cancer. Do men instinctively not like anything that is good for them?

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Quite possibly. The only edible things we grow are cherries from two trees. We seem to get decent weather for the blossom, then high winds that remove the fruit from the trees.. I tried blueberries but they were disappointing. I sometimes grow micro greens or herbs on the kitchen window sill. They are nice and easy, Father in law grows leeks and potatoes. They seem to live on leek and potato soup in winter. Do you make tomato soup?

Leave a comment:

• Mariers2, Rushden
    replied
    Last week I reminded Ken why i always grew tomatoes in my greenhouse, because the summer I'd had them all outside during the growing phase there was hardly any rain, so we were constantly having to use tap water once the butts were depleted; when it was time for the fruits to turn red, it did nothing but pour down and much of the fruit went rotten. This year I decided to risk putting two bush and four other (Moneymaker) outside with just one in the greenhouse that hopefully grows into a vine. So far they have gone mad outside with loads of flowers, but I read that August will be a deluge month. Have I tempted fate?

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X