• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does all the meat go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does all the meat go?

Wandering my local tesco a while ago I was looking for inspiration for dinner, I thought, ooh, lamb chops, not had them for a while, when I found them they were paper thin so would have been impossible to cook, ( they were also extortionate i.e £ 6+ for four skinny bones ) so I went to the butchery dept and you could get proper chops but we are talking LOADS of money! so went back to our usual chicken and salad, I kid you not we are going to end up as clucking rabbits! This started me thinking about having anything diffrent from chicken or pork on a sunday, cant even get cow cheeks anymore, no call for them apparantly! While I was gazing at a beef joint ( a one rib beef joint £40+ ) I asked the butcher what happens to all the meat that nobody can afford to buy, he said that it all goes! so are you one of these people that pay £22 for a leg of lamb or £18 for a bit of topside, I never even see it on a yellow sticker...........Just intrested about the meat paying nation or is it just me that has a sad life ( and no beef or lamb! )

I shop on line, can ypu order topside? only if you pay top prices. All supermarkets now sell beef joints, when in reality its top rump or silverside, never topside. Our food stadards are really dropping in this country.

Comment

Are we still a red meat eating nation ?

Annie

PS Is Silverside equivalent ??
      Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 14th August 2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Pork and Lamb from a local butcher.............and delivers

Free range Pork and New season Lamb
        * Leg of lamb, £14 per kg pre order
        * Shoulder of lamb £13 per kg pre order
        * Lamb Chops x 4 large £12
        * Barnsley Chops x 2 £12
        * Lamb shanks, pre order only. £14 per kg, good size fresh shanks
        * Fat ol’ Pork Chops! Thick and meaty £7.50 for two of the monsters.
        * Boneless Pork Chops (loin steaks) £8 for 4 large ones
        * Beautiful pork belly strips, thick cut. £5 per pack small, £7.50 large
        * Pork T-Bone steaks, thick cut which includes the loin and the fillet on the t-bone. £8 for 2.
        * Baby back pork ribs imported from Spain £6.50 per rack IN STOCK comes in pairs.
        * British Pork belly £9, per kg. Rolled or flat pre order only.
        * Pork Loin Crackling Joint £7 per kg, pre order only.
        * Pork Shoulder roast, deboned and tied, £7 per kg pre order only.
        * Boston Butt, £8 per kg
        * Pork Tomahawk. £9 each
        * Pork cheeks, £6 500g/£12 per kg
        * Rack of spare ribs, £9 per rack average 1.2kg
        * Free range Pork mince £3.50 500g

Comment

We have often wondered why lamb is so expensive. Sheep seem to live most of their lives with minimal assistance from farmers.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Annie

We certainly are, and to be honest haven't noticed much change in prices, even for steaks in restaurants. Lamb has always been on the expensive side, but we still enjoy a rack every couple of weeks. I really don't enjoy vegetables, so meat is a must for me.

Comment

Ask TD..he gets loads cheap at last knocking in a local shop...Waitrose I think.

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                Ask TD..he gets loads cheap at last knocking in a local shop...Waitrose I think.

Garf
                I am a Waitrose Yellow sticker shopper myself but rarely buy red meat.

TD is not the only yellow sticker shopper on here but I am too polite to 'shop' them.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
                  Pork and Lamb from a local butcher.............and delivers

Free range Pork and New season Lamb
                  * Leg of lamb, £14 per kg pre order
                  * Shoulder of lamb £13 per kg pre order
                  * Lamb Chops x 4 large £12
                  * Barnsley Chops x 2 £12
                  * Lamb shanks, pre order only. £14 per kg, good size fresh shanks
                  * Fat ol’ Pork Chops! Thick and meaty £7.50 for two of the monsters.
                  * Boneless Pork Chops (loin steaks) £8 for 4 large ones
                  * Beautiful pork belly strips, thick cut. £5 per pack small, £7.50 large
                  * Pork T-Bone steaks, thick cut which includes the loin and the fillet on the t-bone. £8 for 2.
                  * Baby back pork ribs imported from Spain £6.50 per rack IN STOCK comes in pairs.
                  * British Pork belly £9, per kg. Rolled or flat pre order only.
                  * Pork Loin Crackling Joint £7 per kg, pre order only.
                  * Pork Shoulder roast, deboned and tied, £7 per kg pre order only.
                  * Boston Butt, £8 per kg
                  * Pork Tomahawk. £9 each
                  * Pork cheeks, £6 500g/£12 per kg
                  * Rack of spare ribs, £9 per rack average 1.2kg
                  * Free range Pork mince £3.50 500g
                  Not many Scots I know eat Pork.

Prefer the taste of a good Dhal myself.

Annie

Comment

Not many Scots I know eat Pork.

Prefer the taste of a good Dhal myself.

Annie
                    Not a problem he doesn't deliver to Scotland

Comment

Annie

We are in this family, only one member who does not eat meat for no other reason than she does not like it.

When our family get together to celebrate special occasions, it’s normally a roast or barbecue in which there is always plenty of meat including red meat.

Meat of one sort or another forms a regular part of our weekly diet, beef, lamb, pork including pork chops, My wife does the shopping (although I accompany her), I don’t have a clue to what costs what, she also does the cooking. In regards to beef she normally buys a large joint of topside from our local butcher cuts it into 3 or 4 smaller joints which she then freezes. Lamb chops appear every now and again on the menu, as does chicken.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

We are in this family, only one member who does not eat meat for no other reason than she does not like it.

When our family get together to celebrate special occasions, it’s normally a roast or barbecue in which there is always plenty of meat including red meat.

Meat of one sort or another forms a regular part of our weekly diet, beef, lamb, pork including pork chops, My wife does the shopping (although I accompany her), I don’t have a clue to what costs what, she also does the cooking. In regards to beef she normally buys a large joint of topside from our local butcher cuts it into 3 or 4 smaller joints which she then freezes. Lamb chops appear every now and again on the menu, as does chicken.

As children we ate meat most days - now most of us don't eat meat unless in an Italian or Indian recipe. Vegetarian eaters are a sizeable minority.
                        There is one exception, a niece's husband whose family lives in Aberdeenshire and guess what he eats.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                          We have often wondered why lamb is so expensive. Sheep seem to live most of their lives with minimal assistance from farmers.
                          This may help John, don’t think it’s down to the farmers.

The average liveweight price of lambs at auction in Wales has increased steadily since the start of 2021, and has gone up again this week by 13.1p. The current price has reached 260.6p/kg, over 50p higher than the same time last year.
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

No thanks. I just love vegetables and can just about cope with some fish, but even though I love the smell and texture of meat (Apart from lamb) I cannot cope with the thought of where it came from. I have a 14 year old sheep. He is a dearly loved pet and I am doing not too bad without meat. I know the people of the world have to eat meat, but those countries that eat dogs and don't care about how the animals are slaughtered is a real stomach churner for me...... Sorry folks, thats just how I feel. As with every thing else, it's your choice.

Carol
                            sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post
                              No thanks. I just love vegetables and can just about cope with some fish, but even though I love the smell and texture of meat (Apart from lamb) I cannot cope with the thought of where it came from. I have a 14 year old sheep. He is a dearly loved pet and I am doing not too bad without meat. I know the people of the world have to eat meat, but those countries that eat dogs and don't care about how the animals are slaughtered is a real stomach churner for me...... Sorry folks, thats just how I feel. As with every thing else, it's your choice.

Carol
                              How did you manage to have a sheep for a pet? Was he a rescue? He must be enjoying his old age at 14.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X