• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KFC out of chicken!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They used to say KFC stood for Kan't Find the Chicken. Seems it's actually true now!

Comment

Who knows what the contract between DHL and KFC says. This is just teething problems with what is a huge contract - each store gets 2 or 3 deliveries a week so they have no reserves. The trucks make six or eight deliveries per shift and deliver frozen, chilled and ambient at the same time; new drivers have to find the store and then work out how to get near the delivery entrance. Warehouse staff have to learn the products and how to pick, sort and load them. It all takes time and there is no possibility of a "dry run" as the two companies will not be cooperating at all.
      The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
      T Pratchett.

Comment

Both brand names have been damaged. I confess to have almost no interaction with either.

I ass-u-me the switch in courier was probably a cost saving exercise.

More evidence, if required, that cheapest is not always the best option.

Annie

PS DHL are blaming it on an IT issue. I always thought the Germans were good at logistics
        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 20th February 2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
          Both brand names have been damaged. I confess to have almost no interaction with either.

Annie

PS DHL are blaming it on an IT issue. I always thought the Germans were good at logistics
          Working for a German company in IT they're not that great at most things Annie, it's just perception!

I am sure that they could have started this smaller by using the new hub for branches in the midlands, then upscaling it.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
            They don't have to ask employees to use holiday they can tell them to take holidays, that's the law.
            With suitable terms in the contract they can override the statutory notice requirements otherwise they need to give twice the number of days notice of the holiday required.

I article I read say KFC owed outlets will be paying their staff(even those they probably don't have to by law)

Those working in franchise it's up to the owner to take the necessary advice, contractual hours should be paid, but it is quite easy to have contracts that can limit that liability(ZHC are not the only ones).
            Yes, you are right, Staff actually employed by KFC will receive a basic wage/salary but have been told to take their non-working days as holiday although they have not yet made it clear how long that will be for.

The main people with the problem are the KFC franchise holders who, according to the news, will have to suffer any loss of income themselves. I don't know what their rental/contract charges will be. Now that has got to be tough, whether any of them will remain open and sell coffee/snacks or other product off the cuff is yet to be discovered but it is what I would do in those circumstance. .....Neil

Comment

If I had a franchise I'd go to a local supermarket to buy chicken. Probably not cost effective, but it would save you having to close, I'm sure the problems won't last to long .................................................. .........................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                Working for a German company in IT they're not that great at most things Annie, it's just perception!

I am sure that they could have started this smaller by using the new hub for branches in the midlands, then upscaling it.
                I agree on starting small and upscale after a successful trial.

I must share your thoughts with my German cruising friend, retired Siemens director

Annie

Comment

I imagine KFC goes out to tender every several years for all sorts of supplies and services just as most/all other big companies do.

If due diligence was properly done on the capabilities and quality of all potential tenderer's there can be no reason not to go for the cheapest. Those who do not meet your requirements should not be invited to tender.

Comment

I agree on starting small and upscale after a successful trial.

I must share your thoughts with my German cruising friend, retired Siemens director

Annie
                    I've shared my thoughts with the MD of a German energy company, once the largest in the world, now going through very challenging times.

Comment

I've shared my thoughts with the MD of a German energy company, once the largest in the world, now going through very challenging times.
                      OK you win!

Annie

Comment

OK you win!

Annie
                        To be fair he was doing an open Q&A in a staff forum so I just told him about the issues we have and that they don't see beyond Germany, starved of investment over here etc.

Anyhow might make a Slimming World KFC fakeaway for dinner - problem solved

Comment

To be fair he was doing an open Q&A in a staff forum so I just told him about the issues we have and that they don't see beyond Germany, starved of investment over here etc.

Anyhow might make a Slimming World KFC fakeaway for dinner - problem solved
                          Apparently the issue has been resolved and service is getting back to normal.

Annie

Comment

Quorn have offered to supply KFC with their crispy nuggets, any takers?..😉..Carol

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                              I imagine KFC goes out to tender every several years for all sorts of supplies and services just as most/all other big companies do.

If due diligence was properly done on the capabilities and quality of all potential tenderer's there can be no reason not to go for the cheapest. Those who do not meet your requirements should not be invited to tender.
                              Hi John.
                              KFC can't say they weren't warned....if they had done due diligence they would have listened to the Trade Union.
                              If i had a pound for every time businesses complain to TU's with the words 'We demand the right for managers to manage' i would be on world cruises,,,,,,,manage to bancrupcy more like.

Mick Rix, the GMB’s national officer, said he told KFC that it could face a repeat of supply problems that had hit Burger King when it ditched Bidvest Logistics in favour of DHL six years ago.
                              He said: “We warned them a few months ago. I wrote to KFC. I alluded to Burger King trying to cut costs and ending up with poorer quality service and poorer distribution. They had shortages, too, but not on the scale we’re seeing now at KFC. Within six months they [Burger King] were pleading with Bidvest Logistics to take it back.”

JC
                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                                If I had a franchise I'd go to a local supermarket to buy chicken. Probably not cost effective, but it would save you having to close, I'm sure the problems won't last to long .................................................. .........................Carol
                                Hi Carol
                                I have just read this.....
                                "The franchisee can’t go off and buy chicken from a wholesaler. Their contracts with KFC prevents them from going to third parties. And KFC can’t put its name on chicken it didn’t supply. The franchisee and KFC have both got both hands tied behind their backs.”

JC
                                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X