• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

not so cheap food items.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not so cheap food items.

The Xmas season is on us there is a load of make Xmas easy food in the shops.

let us put the turkey in that foil ray for you and throw on a couple of pigs and charge an extra £10.

The regular prices for some stuff is eye watering, M&S known as the most expensive* for food in the UK Fillet steak at £50-£60kg, although decent is double the price of regular supermarkets and well over the local butchers for good stuff .

I thought that was highest mug punter price in the shops UNTIL I walked into ICELAND of all places, the shop that delivers so those on social without cars don't have to carry their shopping home on the bus.

they have a product.

Raw shelled whole lobster, £15 or £107.14/KG
    launched to target the Xmas market where you can suck people in.

Spotted any outrageous convenience foods to target the free spenders at Xmas?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * of those that have a decent presence across the UK.

Just a quick pointer, Iceland is also a shop where those with common sense, can order the food, then get it delivered to their freezer. later in the day when they are at home. So no carrying or worrying about anything defrosting.

Comment

I got a massive bag of peanuts in Iceland the other day, that's the only thing I've got for Xmas so far, I don't want to look. Think I might just be vegetarian this year, the price of meat is rather on the high side .................................................. ......Carol

Comment

It will probably be higher this time next year!

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
          I got a massive bag of peanuts in Iceland the other day, that's the only thing I've got for Xmas so far, I don't want to look. Think I might just be vegetarian this year, the price of meat is rather on the high side .................................................. ......Carol
          Is it?

Asda are advertising roasting joints of beef at £5/kg - for me that price is too low for quality beef.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
            Just a quick pointer, Iceland is also a shop where those with common sense, can order the food, then get it delivered to their freezer. later in the day when they are at home. So no carrying or worrying about anything defrosting.
            They offer some relative bargain's same price as other's but bigger portion's .Frozen Prawn's being one example....Taffy
            ​Taffy

Comment

We now go with the taste of the food not the brand or price, Aldi have some nice food some of it is Home brand ,but it tastes the same as the branded stuff. Tesco some of there Home Brand is just as good as the well known. brands but cheaper.
              We also use a Local Cheese monger which does cost more then Sainsbury's but you can "taste the difference " as they say they also sell an artisan bread which is well worth the money....Taffy
              ​Taffy

Comment

I thought most shops delivered these days, nothing to do with buses..

What gets me is things like Christmas Tea or coffee what makes it different? It seems as though, label it just for Christmas and use different packaging, and you can whack up the price..Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
                  I thought most shops delivered these days, nothing to do with buses..

What gets me is things like Christmas Tea or coffee what makes it different? It seems as though, label it just for Christmas and use different packaging, and you can whack up the price..Carol
                  Iceland offer delivery service with no charge.

It is special Christmas boxes of biscuits. Selection boxes.

I notice the trend for alcoholic Advent calendars this year.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                    Iceland offer delivery service with no charge.

It is special Christmas boxes of biscuits. Selection boxes.

I notice the trend for alcoholic Advent calendars this year.

Annie
                    The Craft Beer advent calendar = £60... for 24 bottles of beer... They're saying there is a lot of value in a card board box split in to segments...

Comment

We don't buy anything at Christmas that we would not buy at other times. Christmas Day is a vegetarian menu for our daughter and SIL. A turkey crown has been our choice in the past, but can be dry and tasteless sometimes, so a small turkey (still too much for two people) is preferable with several packs of cooked meat going into the freezer for meals later. Not exactly economical, but not wasteful either.

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                        The Craft Beer advent calendar = £60... for 24 bottles of beer... They're saying there is a lot of value in a card board box split in to segments...
                        Have you tried the gin Advent calendar?

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                          Have you tried the gin Advent calendar?

Annie
                          No, didn't think it was worth it - the price and the value seem to have a massive disconnect IMO
                          We have however bought a Lindtt Excellence calendar, for £6 and it has two squares of chocolate per day in their carious flavours, this has the added bonus that we only 'need' the one calendar between us. I've noticed this year there seems to be a greater range of horrendously (IMO) expensive calendars

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
                            No, didn't think it was worth it - the price and the value seem to have a massive disconnect IMO
                            We have however bought a Lindtt Excellence calendar, for £6 and it has two squares of chocolate per day in their carious flavours, this has the added bonus that we only 'need' the one calendar between us. I've noticed this year there seems to be a greater range of horrendously (IMO) expensive calendars
                            Agree completely.

Annie

Comment

Only the 2 of us for dinner this year I;m afraid, So its a turkey crown for us. I have ordered a large one so will make a batch of curries for the freezer. All my fruit and veg will be bought from our market stall, Vicky, The woman who owns it gets my order from me and has it all ready on Xmas eve for me to collect, No hassle at all.!! Jan.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X