• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sage and Onion Stuffing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sage and Onion Stuffing

Does anyone have an old fashioned recipe for this? My mother was taught her cookery by her mother, who was cook in a big old house, but we three girls never asked for the recipes.
    I know she used home grown onions and sage, and I believe the breadcrumbs were fresh not stale; but I seem to remember she used suet in the mixture. It had a very special aroma, which I don't notice in restaurants, and certainly not in package or supermarket fresh mixtures- could it have been the home grown sage? We used to have bunches of herbs drying in the cellar, which was full of their fragrance.
    Recipes in magazines for Christmas seem to love adding extra items to such simple food, so I'm looking for a basic recipe?
    Jo.

Could the additional ingredient be thyme? A little goes a long way!

Comment

Apparently we have lemon and parsley added, not that I cook it, I just eat it.

Comment

See if this it what your after.
        Classic Roast Chicken with Sage and Onion stuffing - Recipes - Hairy Bikers

If you google "sage and onion stuffing" then you have a choice ....Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

Thanks, both... I'll try with a little parsley and thyme, as in "Scarborough Fair"!
          I must have been mistaken about the suet.
          Jo.

Comment

There are recipes with suet.

https://www.schwartz.co.uk/recipes/v...onion-stuffing

Comment

[QUOTE=andyn, kensworth;821440]There are recipes with suet.
              YES! Brilliant! So it wasn't just a childish memory...
              Many thanks.
              Jo.

Comment

If all else fails M&S sage and onion stuffing is pretty good
                Jo

Comment

My OH always makes her own sage & onion stuffing from a handed down family recipe. She uses her own herbs as well.

She wouldn't add thyme to sage & onion though. "That's like adding tea to coffee" she said. "They don't mix, but thyme goes really well with parsley".

My OH's tartare sauce is really zingy too. I hate it when she's run out of capers and we have to use the stuff in the jars.

My OH has really spoilt me.

Sorry Jo, but even M&S sage & onion still tastes like packet stuffing to me.

Cheers OSD
                  Our cruising days are over now.................

Comment

Thanks, OSD... does your OH use suet in her recipe?
                    Jo.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X