• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Really?!] Foods You'll Probably Only Ever Try on a Cruise!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Really?!] Foods You'll Probably Only Ever Try on a Cruise!

I just clicked onto this wonderful CruiseDot article from Facebook called 21 Foods You'll Probably Only Ever Try on a Cruise. I don't know why it hasn't been posted on the forum yet, but I'll get in first because Alex and I both found it laughable!

http://www.cruise.co.uk/blog/21-food...-on-a-cruise-/

1) Bison Burgers - I've seen them commonly in gastro-pubs and gourmet burger restaurants in the UK.

2) Escargot - Admittedly a little rarer, but not exactly difficult to find. Lots of French places have this on the menu.

3) Pizza - Really?!

4) Carpaccio - Not uncommon at all in any italian restaurant

5) Calamari - This is incredibly common. I'm sure it was even on Wetherspoon's menu for a while...

6) Sushi Lollipops - Ok, I'll give you that, solely on the presentation...

7) Ham & Cheese Croissant - Pret a Manger do an excellent version of this...

8) Chocolate Buffet - That's probably fair, though I've never seen it on a cruise line either.

9) Milk & Cookies - Has the author never celebrated Christmas?

10) Fresh Donuts - Perhaps not spelled in the US way, but fresh doughnuts are a funfair favourite.

11) A Guy Burger - You're right, a US celebrity chef probably doesn't have UK-based restaurants... yet!

12) Sashimi - ANY Sushi restaurant will have this staple on their menu.

13) Eel - Again, found commonly in most sushi restaurants.

14) Qsine Crème Brulee - As they don't have Qsine shoreside, you get this on a technicality.

15) Modern Indian - I'm getting confused now.

16) Caviar - Also common landslide, though many might not have tried it.

17) Foie Gras - Not massively common in the UK, but not unheard of. I had it a few weeks ago.

18) A Breakfast Burrito - There's a great tex-mex place in Edinburgh that offers just that.

19) Liquid Lobster - I'm not sure what this is, so you can have it.

20) Best Shake at Sea - I've definitely never had the 'Best Shake at Sea' on mainland-UK.

21) Something Michelin-Starred - Really? There are more Michelin-Starred restaurants in Edinburgh than there are at sea.

Ok, so the article did say 'probably', but I can't help but feel some of these articles are a stretch at the moment!
    Duncan S

See my blog!

Yep - a nonsense post!

I've had at least half of them shore-side.
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

I am afraid I am not very adventurous regards trying different foods, at home or on a cruise. I know that's boring but I am too old to change now... However my OH eats almost everything and is always ready to try something new as long as it does not contain cheese.
      Oriana
      Oceana
      Ventura
      Queen Mary 2
      Queen Victoria
      Queen Elizabeth

Comment

The only one of those I've definitely not tried shore-side is the sushi lollipops

However I can't speak for the liquid lobster and guy burger ... mainly because I don't know what the heck they are!!!

Cheers,
        Lynn

Comment

What does the author think we eat? If I'd never eaten chocolate, cookies or donuts I'd be a size zero hahahaha lol. On the upside you beat captain James again.
          But what on earth is liquid lobster?

Comment

I've just googled it, Hawkinsmg, and all I can find is an additive used to flavour fishing bait, or a group who apparently play psychadelic music in Washington DC

I don't suppose they mean either of those??!!!

Cheers,
            Lynn

Comment

Oh, and it seems the "guy burger" comes from Guy Fieri, the loud chap with the TV programme who visits various eateries in the USA ... never say I don't tell you anything

As chance would have it, we ate in his LasVegas place this summer; the food was very good but very overpriced

Cheers,
              Lynn

Comment

Apart from the Guy Burger and the Liquid Lobster I have tried all these and none of them would fall into the category of never again! Most are readily available in land based restaurants and some I have even cooked myself (not just the cookies!) I have experienced a chocolate buffet at a wedding, although it is many years since I have seen one on a cruise ship.

I think whoever posted this list originally should get out more!!

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                  Apart from the Guy Burger and the Liquid Lobster I have tried all these and none of them would fall into the category of never again! Most are readily available in land based restaurants and some I have even cooked myself (not just the cookies!) I have experienced a chocolate buffet at a wedding, although it is many years since I have seen one on a cruise ship.

I think whoever posted this list originally should get out more!!

Sheila
                  I'd have to add the Bison burger to that and I won't eat Foie Gras. Other than those, all foods I've eaten ashore, many, including Carpaccio, Calamari and Sashimi, on a regular basis.

I photographed QV's Chocolate Extravaganza on our cruise in June, but the thought of chocolate and puddings at 11.30 at night, no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                    I'd have to add the Bison burger to that and I won't eat Foie Gras. Other than those, all foods I've eaten ashore, many, including Carpaccio, Calamari and Sashimi, on a regular basis.

I photographed QV's Chocolate Extravaganza on our cruise in June, but the thought of chocolate and puddings at 11.30 at night, no thanks.

I would agree about the Foie Gras, although I had eaten it several times before I was aware of the dreadful way it is produced. Now it is definitely on my never again list along with veal. One that is missing is frogs' legs. I have eaten them on a cruise ship, purely out of curiosity. The taste was OK, but I doubt if I would eat them again. I really can't get past the image of Kermit referring to little frogs on crutches!

Sheila

Comment

Princess had a chocolate buffet, I'm not a great fan of chocolate, and can't stand the stuff out of those chocolate fountains, but the kids and OH were happy. I spent more time admiring the cholcolate sculptures than eating.

Comment

Originally posted by smtcan, Scarborough View Post
                        I would agree about the Foie Gras, although I had eaten it several times before I was aware of the dreadful way it is produced. Now it is definitely on my never again list along with veal. One that is missing is frogs' legs. I have eaten them on a cruise ship, purely out of curiosity. The taste was OK, but I doubt if I would eat them again. I really can't get past the image of Kermit referring to little frogs on crutches!

Sheila
                        Whats the problem with Veal, if you eat British veal, the calves are humanely treated. They are the unwanted offspring of dairy, surely it's better to ensure they are treated well, and produce higher welfare meat, than let them go to waste as a simple by-product.
                        Many calves are transported hundreds of miles across Europe and reared for veal in conditions which are illegal here. You can eat veal but insist it's from animals reared under welfare-friendly, loose-housed systems i.e. British
                        Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 30th September 2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I do love Foie Gras and was very disappointed when Celebrity dropped it from their menu. They didn't have snails last time I sailed with them either.

I got some Foie Gras from Borough Market for Xmas a few years ago, and its a beggar to cook. It just melts away in the pan if you are not careful.

I'm surprised Baked Alaska wasn't on the list!

Comment

Perhaps it should have read.....

21 Foods You'll Probably Only Ever See on one plate in the buffet while on a Cruise

We have all seen them.
                            www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, kensworth View Post
                              Whats the problem with Veal, if you eat British veal, the calves are humanely treated. They are the unwanted offspring of dairy, surely it's better to ensure they are treated well, and produce higher welfare meat, than let them go to waste as a simple by-product.
                              Many calves are transported hundreds of miles across Europe and reared for veal in conditions which are illegal here. You can eat veal but insist it's from animals reared under welfare-friendly, loose-housed systems i.e. British

We don't have access to British veal in Canada. I have seen calf huts where calves are kept unable to move so their flesh will be white. I would not choose to eat that veal.

Sheila

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X