• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think an "amuse bouche" is?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The basic translation is that an amuse bouche is some amusement for your mouth and it used to be a little something extra provided by the chef which might show off his culinary expertise or innovation, no choice offered.

I recently stayed at a hotel which had advertised a 4-course dinner ; a reviewer called it a 3-course dinner on tripadvisor to which the hotel manager replied that it was 4 courses; amuse bouche,starter,main course and pudding.

So, who do you think was right ? I personally think that the reviewer was; an amuse bouche is not a course on a menu, nor is coffee/petit four.

Originally posted by liauq, w mids View Post
    The basic translation is that an amuse bouche is some amusement for your mouth and it used to be a little something extra provided by the chef which might show off his culinary expertise or innovation, no choice offered.

I recently stayed at a hotel which had advertised a 4-course dinner ; a reviewer called it a 3-course dinner on tripadvisor to which the hotel manager replied that it was 4 courses; amuse bouche,starter,main course and pudding.

So, who do you think was right ? I personally think that the reviewer was; an amuse bouche is not a course on a menu, nor is coffee/petit four.
    I guess if the meal is nouvelle cuisine then it could be called 'a course' as it's the right size.

It's a tiny pre-meal taster from the chef, no choice as everyone has the same and no, not 'a course'.

Comment

Before I knew what an amuse bouche was, it had always been presented as 'something extra compliments of the chef', or similar words, so no, I would not expect it to be part of the advertised courses.........Wilba
      Wilba

Comment

I wouldn't consider an Amuse Bouche to be a course.
        Duncan S

See my blog!

Comment

You don't order it and it just leads into the meal, so I don't regard it as a course. I like it when it arrives unexpectedly and the fact that you don't choose what it is, and it can be amazing. Some restaurants include coffee as a course and I don't agree with that either...Carol

Comment

We have an Italian restaurant nearby that offers a five course meal. One of the courses being the bread rolls and the other the coffee!!

An amuse bouche is to me a little taster to amuse the mouth and no I wouldnt consider that a course either.

Comment

Well they say you learn something new every day. I had never heard of amuse bouche let alone had it!.................................Carol

Comment

I think we all in agreement!
                I've had some pretty good hotels thru' travelzoo offers but there can be a few silly things like this, which is so unneccessary in a lovely hotel.The amuse bouche was a pea and ham soup made with fresh garden peas and it was the best part of the meal...so call it a soup course.
                Other things to watch can be a "special tasting menu" which can translate as the chef being told to save a few pennies by using cheaper ingredients or a table d'hote menu which is loaded with supplements.

Comment

Sounds sexual to me!
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                    Sounds sexual to me!

Now now!! Last time I had an Amuse bouche it was served between courses like a palate cleanser. It was delicious and certainly served its purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by liauq, w mids View Post

An "Amuse Bouche" is certainly not a course, it is a pleasantry provided by the establishment to set the standard for what is to follow and is offered as “un petit morceau a manger” to titillate the palate and to show the delights of what will follow. If he/she is describing it as a course then they are serving too much of it and it can no longer be described that way.

By the way it is not “manger un morceau” (a colloquialism for “chew the fat”).......Obviously IMHO Neil

Comment

here's another nice french culinary term for you, Neil;
                        the "trou"..or hole!
                        found mainly in Normandy, where food is very rich with cream and butter, it was traditional to serve a "trou" to knock a hole in your stomach cavity to make more room for food and aid digestion.
                        What is it? originally a shot of calvados (which could easily knock a hole in something) it now tends to be a calvados sorbet.
                        I weouldn't complain if that counted as one of my courses.

Comment

I think we have had one, we had a meal in a restaurant in Spain and the waiter brought out little glasses with a very tasty pea purée which he described as a taser, was that one?

Comment

Certainly sounds like one, perhaps the Spanish don't have a word for 'Amuse Bouche' ....Carol

Originally posted by Catch us if you can!, London View Post
                            I think we have had one, we had a meal in a restaurant in Spain and the waiter brought out little glasses with a very tasty pea purée which he described as a taser, was that one?

Comment

I've had some as generous as a large starter...not just as tiny tasty nibble!
                              Lancashire Cunarder

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X