• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great British Budget Menu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carolann, Havant Hampshire View Post
    I cannot understand why so many people think Waitrose is expensive - I have compared prices with Tesco and Lidl on several occasions and you have to check carefully - the quality of the meat (less fat) and fruit and veg is far superior - it tastes better and the fruit and veg last a good 7-10 days compared to rotten tomatoes in 2 days at other supermarkets! They also now have price match and so some brand names are the same price. if you sign up for a Waitrose card (not credit card just a loyalty) you get 10% off certain items these vary on a weekly basis - if there is a coffee shop you can also have a free coffee and a free newspaper (Mail or Telegraph) if you spend over £5. They often have a £10 meal deal which is also very good value.
    ps. I am not connected to Waitrose just wish people would stop trying to say the are expensive.
    It's not the first supermarket that comes to mind if you have to shop on a budget, same as M&S; good free advertising for them though.

Comment

Originally posted by Diva18, UK View Post
      It's not the first supermarket that comes to mind if you have to shop on a budget, same as M&S; good free advertising for them though.
      Now that we have given plenty of free advertising for Waitrose, we have to remember that there many parts of the UK that do not have a Waitrose.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Diva18, UK View Post
        Waitrose 40% dearer on average than Aldi according to Which .
        Aldi increasing sales by 30% or more opening more stores , there red Wine winning awards?
        And Aldi use some of the same fresh food suppliers as M&S.
        Waitrose must be better as it cost more ....Taffy
        ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
          Waitrose 40% dearer on average than Aldi according to Which .
          Aldi increasing sales by 30% or more opening more stores , there red Wine winning awards?
          And Aldi use some of the same fresh food suppliers as M&S.
          Waitrose must be better as it cost more ....Taffy
          Hi Taffy

My secret is out - I use Aldi and Waitrose.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
            Hi Taffy

My secret is out - I use Aldi and Waitrose.

Annie
            Lucky you Annie.
            Nearest Waitrose to us is about 40 miles away , we did get a meal deal from a Waitrose on the motor way not bad for a £10.
            Usual Supermarkets round here and Aldi of course , we shop at them all depending on what offers are on?
            Have you tried the Fillet Steak from Aldi , we were pleasently suprised....Taffy
            ​Taffy

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy, Wales View Post
              Lucky you Annie.
              Nearest Waitrose to us is about 40 miles away , we did get a meal deal from a Waitrose on the motor way not bad for a £10.
              Usual Supermarkets round here and Aldi of course , we shop at them all depending on what offers are on?
              Have you tried the Fillet Steak from Aldi , we were pleasently suprised....Taffy
              Hi Taffy

The supermarket choice in my area is not great. Both Aldi and Waitrose are off the beaten track. I am not loyal to any supermarket and like everyone else shop around. I do use one of the major players for home delivery of store cupboard items when they send discount coupons through.

I buy more than 90% of my red meat from a butcher in Aberfoyle - we have just been there today, a nice drive, great scenery, excellent afternoon tea and the price of his meat has not risen this year.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Carolann, Havant Hampshire View Post
                I cannot understand why so many people think Waitrose is expensive - I have compared prices with Tesco and Lidl on several occasions and you have to check carefully - the quality of the meat (less fat) and fruit and veg is far superior - it tastes better and the fruit and veg last a good 7-10 days compared to rotten tomatoes in 2 days at other supermarkets! They also now have price match and so some brand names are the same price. if you sign up for a Waitrose card (not credit card just a loyalty) you get 10% off certain items these vary on a weekly basis - if there is a coffee shop you can also have a free coffee and a free newspaper (Mail or Telegraph) if you spend over £5. They often have a £10 meal deal which is also very good value.
                ps. I am not connected to Waitrose just wish people would stop trying to say the are expensive.
                I worked with someone who had worked for a supplier of salad and vegetables as a student. The stock sent to Waitrose was fresher than than for other supermarkets.

I buy a few bits in the Waterlooville shop, and I do think it is more expensive that the other supermarkets. I shop in the evenings, so sometimes manage to get discounted items. Last night, most of the things on my shopping list were reduced!
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

But how many people that we saw in those programme can afford to shop at Waitrose, they are having to stretch their money and I would hardly think their budgets are the same as ours, and yes I do shop in Lidle but as cheap as they are they still don't carry a full range of stock and I have to go elsewhere for the rest. CG
                  sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X