• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great British Budget Menu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FridaysChild, Bath View Post
    The large lady was on the following programme, along with the student with extortionate debt who thought that his degree in Media Studies should mean that he should walk straight into a top job!

Rather than celebrity chefs they would be better off showing the people who write into the Money Saving Expert forums with fantastic, inspirational meals on a budget (check out the Money Saving Old Style board)
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
      Thanks for clearing that up.

Annie
      Sorry be ause they were similar to do with lack of money I did get mixed up. Watch the other one as well it is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch us if you can!, London View Post
        Sorry be ause they were similar to do with lack of money I did get mixed up. Watch the other one as well it is interesting.
        No worries - the other programme is on my list.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin, Basingstoke View Post
          Sorry but these sort of programs make me mad.

Apart from the fact that many have overstretched their income before the slump, most appear to have been hard up all this year.

Yet I am giving away fresh grown veg from my very small plot because it has done so well this year, one packet of pea seed cost me £1.79 yet not our freezer if full with enough for at least 60 meals, and beans, carrots, onions and garlic will last us well into the new year. Most things will grwo in pots.tubs or even old wellington boots.

Not only that these chefs come in for a couple of days produce a few easy meals then leave,
          Same here Tenpin, we always had an veg garden plenty of fresh produce and we are still giving it away today, exchange seeds, plants but we always have fresh produce throughout the year,
          I think there were glaring gaps in the documenteries s also.

They were sitting playing on the games console , looking after dogs and cats even an expensive lizard , the problem is they are used to huge amounts of tax free money coming in they don't worry about the bills, where on earth will they get a job to cover that? CG
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
            Same here Tenpin, we always had an veg garden plenty of fresh produce and we are still giving it away today, exchange seeds, plants but we always have fresh produce throughout the year,
            I think there were glaring gaps in the documenteries s also.

They were sitting playing on the games console , looking after dogs and cats even an expensive lizard , the problem is they are used to huge amounts of tax free money coming in they don't worry about the bills, where on earth will they get a job to cover that? CG
            Sorry CG the family you are describing did not appear in the Great British Budget menu programme. Apart from the pensioner, the families portrayed all had working parents.

Annie

Comment

I'm quite aware of that Annie, however as others here have said these programmes where on one after the other and in some way linked, I believe you said it was on your to watch list? The Veg garden would certainly have helped them all out as Tenpin so rightly points out/CG
              sigpic

Comment

I don't think that domestic science lessons at school taught me a lot. I was brought up on the convenience foods of the day because there was little time to cook by the time my parents got home from work. We did have a Sunday roast cooked by my dad because my mum worked Sunday mornings. I mostly taught myself to cook after I left home.

These days I can eat very cheaply as I make batches of food in the slow cooker. I do shop at Lidl sometimes, as it's near my gym. I don't think it's possible to do a full weekly shop there because it carries a limited stock.

I have tried to persuade a friend to stop doing most of her shopping at Waitrose to save money. She constantly moans about having no money! I prefer to save where I can, to allow me to do the things that I want to do.

I'm not sure that I can afford to retire next year though, and actually 'have a life'.

I haven't watched any of these programmes, so can't comment.
                2018-
                Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

I watched both programs, (only because the wife had the remote)

Both showed just how far people were willing to get into dept during the good years. The fact is that most of the recent generations want it now, and will max out two/three credit cards to get the latest car/phone/ipad, without a thought of how they are goingto pay it back. One of my relatives has a income of over £70,000 between them, yet often has to borrow cash before theeir next monthly pay comes in. Even after living in the same house for twenty odd years, there is still no equity on it because it has been used for holidays/cars and kitchen upgrades.

We still never replace anything until the one we have acually breaks down. even now I really can't see the sense in all these modern gadgets, and can't understand why people want to talk on phones to people they are going to meet in a few minutes.

That said I do feel for a couple of those portrayed in the first promgram. working but still having to face the fact that the food bank was their only option.
                  Cruising is like;

Being in The Garden of Eating

Comment

Originally posted by cornish girl, falmouth View Post
                    I'm quite aware of that Annie, however as others here have said these programmes where on one after the other and in some way linked, I believe you said it was on your to watch list? The Veg garden would certainly have helped them all out as Tenpin so rightly points out/CG
                    I said the same myself CG in post #4 - however the OAP gentleman - I wonder if he had access to a plot??

Annie

Comment

James Martin was trying to do a budget meal for the OAP gentleman and was filmed shopping in...................Waitrose! FGS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Diva18, UK View Post
                        James Martin was trying to do a budget meal for the OAP gentleman and was filmed shopping in...................Waitrose! FGS!!
                        I love your abbreviation

I noticed Richard Corrigan had a Waitrose bag as well...... so it is not just the politicians who are out of touch

I occasionally shop in Waitrose with my sister but again she always seems to know when they sell peppers at 49p/kg.

Angela Hartnett did acknowledge that you needed good maths skills to work out best buys. I was disappointed that none of the chefs used a slow cooker with their families.

Annie
                        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 15th July 2013, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I tell you what you do have to work out carefully, that is dishwasher tablets sometimes its cheaper to buy two smaller boxes than one big one. I go to Waitrose when i buy my meat, expensive but at least you can enjoy your lamb chops and they are not cut with a laser beam. I make all my own meals from scratch, always have even though I worked full time, I enjoy cooking I suppose that makes a big difference. I have 5 vegetarian friends to lunch this week and have spent an enjoyable afternoon looking at my veggie cook book.

Comment

When we were children in the fifties we didn't have the media to contend with and there weren't all the luxuries we now take for granted. Just think the choice of Cereals , crisps and frozen foods we have . We never even imagined things like Cereal Bars and bottled water. I don't even remember having the type of steaks and fish we now buy.
                            It doesn't take much skills to put a cheap cut of meat and some veg and simmer them as a casserole. Or, as the Italians do, cook pasta.

Comment

I cannot understand why so many people think Waitrose is expensive - I have compared prices with Tesco and Lidl on several occasions and you have to check carefully - the quality of the meat (less fat) and fruit and veg is far superior - it tastes better and the fruit and veg last a good 7-10 days compared to rotten tomatoes in 2 days at other supermarkets! They also now have price match and so some brand names are the same price. if you sign up for a Waitrose card (not credit card just a loyalty) you get 10% off certain items these vary on a weekly basis - if there is a coffee shop you can also have a free coffee and a free newspaper (Mail or Telegraph) if you spend over £5. They often have a £10 meal deal which is also very good value.
                              ps. I am not connected to Waitrose just wish people would stop trying to say the are expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolann, Havant Hampshire View Post
                                I cannot understand why so many people think Waitrose is expensive - I have compared prices with Tesco and Lidl on several occasions and you have to check carefully - the quality of the meat (less fat) and fruit and veg is far superior - it tastes better and the fruit and veg last a good 7-10 days compared to rotten tomatoes in 2 days at other supermarkets! They also now have price match and so some brand names are the same price. if you sign up for a Waitrose card (not credit card just a loyalty) you get 10% off certain items these vary on a weekly basis - if there is a coffee shop you can also have a free coffee and a free newspaper (Mail or Telegraph) if you spend over £5. They often have a £10 meal deal which is also very good value.
                                ps. I am not connected to Waitrose just wish people would stop trying to say the are expensive.
                                My sister shops regularly in Waitrose. It is a quieter supermarket with a nice ambience. She often shops there with her autistic son. They both have Waitrose cards - so free tea for them. The staff are excellent. They know her son can become agitated on occasion. If they see her approaching a checkout - they immediately open up a new checkout for her.

She constantly sings the praises of Waitrose fruit and vegetables and on one memorable occasion - she bought multiple lamb joints marked down to 10% of the original price.

Her motto: If you know your prices - and she does- Waitrose can be very good value and the quality is far superior.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X